TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Does anyone know how much having the BBC public costs us every year?

I wouldn't mind betting it's minimal in the grand scheme of things - Something they could probably offer for free...

When I say minimal, I'm guessing between £100 - 200mn a year - But this is just my guess, hopefully somebody has the answers :p :D

Soldato
Does anyone know how much having the BBC public costs us every year?

I wouldn't mind betting it's minimal in the grand scheme of things - Something they could probably offer for free...

When I say minimal, I'm guessing between £100 - 200mn a year - But this is just my guess, hopefully somebody has the answers :p :D
Why would you just make numbers up :p

The total income from licence fees was £3.83 billion in 2017–18 of which £655.3 million or 17.1% was provided by the government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk (75.7%) of the BBC's total income of £5.0627 billion in 2017–2018.

That doesn't mention BBC income from licensing shows, international deals, or any other money from the government outside of OAP concessions. Dunno what those all add up to.

Soldato
Why would you just make numbers up :p

That doesn't mention BBC income from licensing shows, international deals, or any other money from the government outside of OAP concessions. Dunno what those all add up to.

I knew someone would jump down my throat for making a guess. :p

Thanks for the info though - Much more money in it than I first thought.

I'm much more for it being completely abolished now - And with the Cons in power with such a majority, I could see it happening in Boris' term...

Associate
i have cheekily tweeted couple of times to bbc - they can certainly have sponsored programs so no ads.. and they should use new talent in their shows rather than same old - high priced celebs and also on some prog like (pointless) there is absolutely no need for two presenters.. its things like this that will save them money

Soldato
i have cheekily tweeted couple of times to bbc - they can certainly have sponsored programs so no ads.. and they should use new talent in their shows rather than same old - high priced celebs and also on some prog like (pointless) there is absolutely no need for two presenters.. its things like this that will save them money

In the grand scheme of things that’s pretty minor I would say - although I have seen that programme and I agree it’s completely redundant - however, I know that the guy that just sits there reading off the laptop (I forget his name) has produced a number of shows in the past. I’ve watched his game show on Dave in the past and it is really... really bad... :p

Soldato
If the content is good enough they'll turn a profit, but only if they slim down the back room staff as well as presenters.

My wife use to present on BBC Scotland, we've been to several shows on CBBC over the years too as part of the audience - there's a ton of efficiencies that could be made even at these and that's not including the editing etc.

Soldato
It's a joke that they try to force people into paying the licence fee when their production quality of their shows is utter ****. Take the BBC's recent adaptation of 'The War of the Worlds' as an example and compare it to 'Lovecraft Country' that's just started to air on HBO. It's like chalk and cheese.

Soldato
If the content is good enough they'll turn a profit, but only if they slim down the back room staff as well as presenters.

My wife use to present on BBC Scotland, we've been to several shows on CBBC over the years too as part of the audience - there's a ton of efficiencies that could be made even at these and that's not including the editing etc.

They wouldn't make a big profit and they know it. Their wages would have to drop and that's why they are keeping the licence nonsense going. As it is they can keep pumping out the badly written, virtue signalling crap shows and it doesn't matter if no one watches it, because they will still get the same amount of money in the end.

The BBC programming isn't up to the standard of Netflix etc. Even the shows which used to be good are now badly written and cringy (like Dr Who).

Soldato
Scam emails - we all love them and cherish the light relief that they bring to our day. However, there are minimum standards that need to be met and I really don't think that this one cuts the mustard:

TV Licensing
24 AUGUST 2020

Dear

Due to outdated account details, your licence has been flagged and it will be suspended if you will provide no response at this notification.
How to update your details:
You can change or update details using this platform. You'll be required basic identification documents in hand which will help you in updating the profile with authentic official information.
To update your details, you will need to tell us:
1. your personal details like date of birth, current address and phone number
2. your payment method
3. your official identity information

It`s important we keep our records up to date. It help us keeping track of our licensee and to perform periodic subscription extentions without interrupting the licence service, providing the best of our services to users.

We hope that you are able to resolve this issue promptly.

Warmest regards,

TVLicensing

Of course the joke will be on me when I turn on the TV tomorrow and the screen only displays "License Suspended!".

Caporegime
In b4:

#defundTheBBC

“the BBC is the real scam anyway” etc...

(Though to be fair I do agree with some arguments against the licence fee)

Back
Top Bottom