**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Are there any real world NPPL/PPL pilots in here? Would love to meet up at a virtual club airfield and do some formation stuff over Northumberland or somewhere else scenic. Ooh that reminds me, I might take a 152 or CTLS over the Lake District...

Associate
Had a very quick blast before leaving work this morning, took me two days after CTDs on previous installation and failed attempts to download , looks good but issue is now that on my rig I'm getting subpar performance , 2080s getting an uneven 30fps ... May have too look into it tonight but utilisation was only in the 50% range

Associate
This may help someone, I had a lot of CTD's on my system 2700x, 1080Ti, 32GB@3200 latest Nvidia drivers. It was really getting on my nerves as it was every crashing every single mission. I tried the following and it seems to have stopped a lot, for me at least. I do still get 100% GPU usage in menus, which must be a bug. Oddly my CPU and GPU are not used anywhere near 100% in-game which is odd :/

I run around 30FPS at High-End settings, turn down all shadow options one notch, turned up texture res and distance to Ultra, volumetric clouds to Ultra.
  • Run SFC /scannow at command prompt (admin), mine fixed a few files, unsure if related though.
  • Use Live traffic instead of using AI traffic (AI traffic seems to create too much traffic which also seems buggy).
  • Cleared and moved the running cache onto its own SSD, set at 100GB.

Associate
Prop aircraft will react when you adjust the throttle by pulling to one side as the effect of the propwash over the airframe and rudder changes. Particularly on takeoff you'll need a lot of rudder to balance it out.

I think there’s a setting that allows the sim to take care of this for you if it helps.

Soldato
Not sure my availability, but would be up for a group flight on the unofficial Discord at some point in the future.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ocuk-unofficial-discord-channel.18712831/

Definitely - just joined.

Are there any real world NPPL/PPL pilots in here? Would love to meet up at a virtual club airfield and do some formation stuff over Northumberland or somewhere else scenic. Ooh that reminds me, I might take a 152 or CTLS over the Lake District...

I was up over Langdale Valley and Scafell on release day - change the season to Winter and it's pretty cool.

Nice video here from an A320 pilot:

Soldato
Prop aircraft will react when you adjust the throttle by pulling to one side as the effect of the propwash over the airframe and rudder changes. Particularly on takeoff you'll need a lot of rudder to balance it out.

Thank you, that makes sense! I have only been flying propellor engined aircraft so that would explain the issue.

Soldato
Nevertheless the propeller aircraft are still all far too twitchy and over sensitive as regards control input. You only have to load up XP11 or FSX to verify that. There was thread at Avsim where a guy claimed to have interrogated the default aircraft configs and the values are all over the joint.

One thing I am going to try later is setting a bigger dead zone on my joystick rudder (twist) motion than the pitch and yaw as I have a feeling it is picking up a rudder input along with the yoke.

Associate
I don’t think I’ll be continuing my gamepass subscription beyond the first month. I was so looking forward to this, but it’s just a shambles. Admittedly, my PC is towards the lower end of the requirements, but I’ve had no end of trouble trying to get things running acceptably and just keep hitting problems. My system is rock-solid with everything else that gets thrown at it, so I think I just have to accept that Flight Simulator is a buggy mess that I might revisit in a year or so once things have hopefully been ironed out.

As of today, it won’t even load. I get the intro videos and then the ‘press any key to start’ screen. Next comes the picture of the aircraft departing from San Francisco and then nothing, it just sits there doing nothing. Usually I’d get the box come up saying that it’s checking for updates, but even that doesn’t appear. Can I be bothered to uninstall it and wait hours for it to reinstall? I’m not sure I can.

Pity they didn’t spend a bit more time in testing getting this ready for the public. Oh well.

Soldato
You would think they would have fixed these parts the pilot pointed out are all wrong considering it's a sim?

Not really - it's not supposed to be an indepth (insert plane here) simulator. It just has to be good enough for most people. That's why third party devs can charge £100 just for one aircraft addon at insane levels of details, for the people that want it.

Small bugs can be fixed.

I think MS pushed Asobo to release earlier than planned too - but then it's a question of how long do you spend on the game before releasing? It a question of economics. Very few games release in perfect working order.

Soldato
Whats that a 4 hour flight? What do you actually do during the flight! :)??

Admire the graphics
Stare at dials

I used to get up on Saturday mornings, start a long flight (one I remember was Paris to St Maarten) then come back after an all-dayer and handle the approach and subsequent crash landing.

Associate
Are people running this mostly in 1080p or 1440p? I’m tempted to upgrade my monitor to a 1440p version. I’m getting good performance at the moment with the following.

Ryzen 3600
32GB DDR3 RAM 3200
RTX 2070S

Last edited:
Soldato
Admire the graphics
Stare at dials

I used to get up on Saturday mornings, start a long flight (one I remember was Paris to St Maarten) then come back after an all-dayer and handle the approach and subsequent crash landing.

LOL!

That's what time acceleration was for in X Plane 11! Longest flight I did was Newark to Manchester and I left it on overnight for a laugh and landed it on my alarm wake up the next morning.

Most of my jet flights are short within Europe and I use time acceleration to cut out the boring cruise, otherwise its just an exercise in staring at dials!

Back
Top Bottom