Reinstall Windows with Ryzen upgrade?

Associate
I'm moving away from intel 8700k to ryzen 3900x
I know it will ask me to enter new win10 key and that's ok.
I will need to remove any intel IO drivers.
Do i need to format the drive, install new windows and has anyone else done it

Last edited:
Associate
Windows will detect new hardware and it'll show that "setting things up" screen again and should sort everything out.
Don't forget to install chipset drivers. If you have an AMD graphics card, these are included with the AMD driver package.

Soldato
I moved from a 4770K to a 3700X recently and didn't reinstall. Everything seems to work perfectly after installing the Ryzen chipset drivers.

Soldato
My last windows install went through two motherboards, three CPUs and three graphics cards without an issue. Only borked in the end by bad RAM corrupting things. Windows is much more robust than it used to be.

Soldato
I personally would always do a fresh install when doing any major upgrades (takes around 12 minutes with SSDs nowdays) as it would give me a great chance to clear the crap that accumulates over the years but I guess if you don't want to it's up to you.

Soldato
Windows is smarter these days to handle big hardware changes...but at the same time reinstallation is so quick that unless you have lots of after install configurations, I prefer just to resinatll still.

Soldato
Ive recently upgraded from my old 3770k set up to the 3950x in my sig. I just ghosted my 250g SSD to the new 500gb NvME and booted it up.... windows restarted 2 times and installed everything it wanted automatically. I put AMD drivers on anyway and so far zero errors and 100% expected performance.
The days of reinstalling every time are gone unless you really want to. If you get issues then reinstall but may as well try it first.

Soldato
All this fresh install nonsense :confused: even win8 was fine with hardware changes.

People say that like it's a quick job, the initial install is but getting it back to how you like it can take days.

Back
Top Bottom