• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Is there any reason to get the digital over disk anyway? Apart from price.

The two consoles will be identical - the exception obviously being the optical drive. Otherwise specification will be the same.

My opinion:
If the difference is £100 (and they take a hit on each console sold knowing they will make money back via the digital store they know you'll have to use) then it really might be considering. Digital games do eventually get a lower price and there are enough digital sales, but you may find yourself waiting for that "right price". However, the £100 you've saved can go towards digital games.
If the difference is £50, even if you plan on mostly buying digital games anyway, it's probably worth having the optical drive there - in case the "must not be missed" price on a physical game comes up.

Soldato
I'll never understand the perception that changing a disc is hassle. It's not like changing a tyre. Unless you have extreme ADHD and swap games every two minutes.

Soldato
I'll never understand the perception that changing a disc is hassle. It's not like changing a tyre. Unless you have extreme ADHD and swap games every two minutes.

Agreed. It's not like I ever sit down and play more than two different games in a gaming session anyway, so at most I might have to change the disc once. Often I'm playing the same game for weeks or months at a time, so it's quite rare that I change discs at all.

Until Sony and MS drop the price of new digital games I won't be going fully digital. Most newly released games are £15 more on the PS store and other than not having to swap discs, worry about the disc going missing or getting damaged, I don't see any benefit to getting the digital version.

It's a massive hassle tbh, like changing the TV channel over without a remote control, technology evolves and you get accustomed to a new way of doing things, that then becomes normal, smartphones have helped push that forward dramatically with apps loading almost instantly with a finger press, I'm done with discs seriously, the only reason I could see anyone using them is if you sell them straight after you complete the game, that makes sense to me, other than that no I can't be bothered to get up, go to my shelf that takes up extra space in my home, search for said game, remove said game from case, lean down to console and insert disc (arghhh my back, getting to old for this!), wait for disc to load, rinse and repeat........, nope.

Soldato
I wouldn't be 100% sure on that. I read that AC Valhalla on Xbox Series X will contain a digital key code, even if you buy a "physical" box from the store. But I can't find any evidence on retailer sites saying this, so it might have been a photoshop job.

I think it was the latest Black Ops which was nothing but a key on a disc and a 50GB download before you could play. Imagine games will be 100GB+ on the PS5 so if this becomes the norm then it's going to be painful for some. Maybe it will encourage (force?) people to go all digital so that they can pre-load and be ready to go when the release hits. I wish they would just lower digital prices. It's getting silly on new releases.

Soldato
Being unable to grab second hand bargain games in CEX/Ebay/on here/wherever seems to make the digital version poor value to me. Though others mileage may vary.
It may not be long before they add a single use key to the discs, you use it, nobody else can, same as PC games now.

I think this will be the last generation of disc based consoles, the digital version of PS5 is a nod towards that, PS6 will be digital only in 7 or so years time imo, probably just like everything else by then.

Soldato
It's a massive hassle tbh, like changing the TV channel over without a remote control, technology evolves and you get accustomed to a new way of doing things, that then becomes normal, smartphones have helped push that forward dramatically with apps loading almost instantly with a finger press, I'm done with discs seriously, the only reason I could see anyone using them is if you sell them straight after you complete the game, that makes sense to me, other than that no I can't be bothered to get up, go to my shelf that takes up extra space in my home, search for said game, remove said game from case, lean down to console and insert disc (arghhh my back, getting to old for this!), wait for disc to load, rinse and repeat........, nope.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :D Only because all of that sounds like a complete non issue to me but I can (kinda) see it from that side. I am someone who only plays a game once so yes once I've finished I sell, I rarely have more than two physical games at a time and I'm happy with a game costing me £5-£10 after I sell it. Digital to me is just dead money. Another big one is I rarely play a game I enjoy that much now so I wont risk digital, there are exceptions though like games I may dip in and out of a lot like say Destiny when I was playing it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It may not be long before they add a single use key to the discs, you use it, nobody else can, same as PC games now.

I think this will be the last generation of disc based consoles, the digital version of PS5 is a nod towards that, PS6 will be digital only in 7 or so years time imo, probably just like everything else by then.

Yeah, actually works totally fine on PC, I have not bought a physical game for donkeys years, not even had a physical drive for a long long time and pick up cheap games all the time.

Actually now I think about it during 2 years or so Xbox ownership I have only bought 4 or 5 physical games, all second hand. Perhaps the move to digital will start reducing prices on consoles a bit, it often does on PC quite quickly after release and there are often good offers on release as well.

Soldato
Difference is on pc there is a market to buy games elsewhere digitally e.g cdkeys, green Man gaming etc

That is not case for consols so from a pc perspective can find the same game multiple places at different price points.

Consol you have to pay what Sony state or Microsoft no option to shop around for the game at a cheaper price.

Soldato
Didn't MS try to do that when the last gen launched and ended up having to u-turn due to public outcry and Sony using it as marketing?

Associate
The funny thing is, what you are proposing about CD keys on game discs is exactly what Microsoft were proposing when they released the xbox one........and the backlash destroyed their console release when gamers started complaining about the right to trade and sell games.
The problem I have is that digital should be cheaper...... Sony make money from every gamer with digital, there's no distribution or product manufacture, and it's instant release with total control...... Everything is stacked in their favour....... So why do they charge more and keep the games at a higher price for longer? Makes no sense except to rip off lazy gamers.

#Iobviously type too slowly on my phone!

Associate
I guess for a release like GTA, it's nice to have it downloading while you sleep so you can wake up for it. But personally, I love going out to get it, i get food etc, its nice.

Soldato
Difference is on pc there is a market to buy games elsewhere digitally e.g cdkeys, green Man gaming etc

That is not case for consols so from a pc perspective can find the same game multiple places at different price points.

Consol you have to pay what Sony state or Microsoft no option to shop around for the game at a cheaper price.
CD Keys do Xbox games.

Quite - single use physical games will just never be accepted.
You'll have to accept them if they are forced on us just like they were on PC gamers.

Soldato
CD Keys do Xbox games.

You'll have to accept them if they are forced on us just like they were on PC gamers.
They don't do every game, nor do they do every Sony game.

Until market is like it is on pc but for consol games I can see both companies keeping digital prices too high

Soldato
For what it's worth I would go digital if Sony priced the games reasonably but in most cases at launch there £50-60 which imo is too much.

Yes there are sales etc for Sony and Microsoft but even then there is times I want a title at launch

Digital PC games are far cheaper so it's fine plus physical games on pc were extent years ago anyway

Back
Top Bottom