**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Managed to sign up to the MS ultimate pass for £1 for the first month to try this, then I think £10.99. Will see how I get on with the mouse and keyboard this weekend with the now old 2080 RTX :). I couldn't sign up to the cheaper beta for £1 (then £3.99 a month), maybe as already done a trial before. If good, and if I like flight sims, I'll cancel the trial within the month and buy the top end version for lowest price I can find. I don't spend enough time gaming at the moment to justify a monthly fee.

What type of controller would be best for this? An Xbox controller type of thing or Joystick? I only usually use keyboard and mouse for other types of games.

Associate
I think the propeller plane all fly great with around a 15% deadzone, so worth setting that.

I took controls of a few prop planes as an air scout years back during flights with the RAF at Manston, they all feel quite realistic for steering with the 15 setting on a xbox 1 pad, any lower are too twitchy though I'm having to remember real flight controls from a long time back.

Soldato
Just a quick update.

uninstalled (had pre-downloaded it prior to release) and reinstalled the game - still on gamepass.

running much more smoothly. X52 is detected and keys can be assigned although no pre-filled profile found.

getting much fewer CTDs as well..although they do still occur.

playing at 4K on a 6700k (4.4ghz) 16gb 3600

Soldato
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is autopilot bugged or am I doing it wrong?

I'm completely new to flying and flight sims, and have been mainly flying the Cessna 208 Grand Caravan. In the flight plan menu I choose a route, select low-altitude airways and choose the approach I want etc. I take off and then climb to cruise altitude, but then I turn on autopilot by pressing AP and then I press the NAV button, but the plane decides to instantly turn into a downward spiral and ends up breaking. Am I doing it wrong or is it just bugged? The flight plan is loaded in the Garmin as well, I checked that.

Associate
What type of controller would be best for this? An Xbox controller type of thing or Joystick? I only usually use keyboard and mouse for other types of games.
100% Joystick, controller will work too but joystick or yoke will give you much better experience, doesn't need to be hotas as long as there is 1 throttle on it.

Associate
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is autopilot bugged or am I doing it wrong?

I'm completely new to flying and flight sims, and have been mainly flying the Cessna 208 Grand Caravan. In the flight plan menu I choose a route, select low-altitude airways and choose the approach I want etc. I take off and then climb to cruise altitude, but then I turn on autopilot by pressing AP and then I press the NAV button, but the plane decides to instantly turn into a downward spiral and ends up breaking. Am I doing it wrong or is it just bugged? The flight plan is loaded in the Garmin as well, I checked that.
Not done low altitude plan but have done direct plans, is it the altitude that needs to be set? I always do and not had a issue in the same plane

Soldato
Autopilot is very bugged. On the GA aircraft I struggle to get it to engage and I just had an instance in one of the Diamond aircraft where hitting VS as I climbed didn’t pick up the rate and instead barrelled into the ground.

With regard to sensitivity and deadzone, it seems not to matter where you set these as soon as the joystick hits the first contact spot there’s the wild over control. It’s almost as if the game is seeing it as digital rather than analogue.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Anyone fancy flying about near my hometown and doing a quick vid? Love to see if there's actually any detail :D

LE65 / ashby de la zouch. Nearest airport is EMA

Soldato
really enjoying this, tempted to pre-order the reverb G2 headset for it.. only problem is... playing with a keyboard and mouse is absolutely miserable, and every single shop seems to be sold out of HOTAS.. (I should never have sold my warthog when i stopped playing DCS A10c :( )

Can't find anywhere with a joystick in stock, some silly priced ones on ebay..

Soldato

Autopilot is very bugged. On the GA aircraft I struggle to get it to engage and I just had an instance in one of the Diamond aircraft where hitting VS as I climbed didn’t pick up the rate and instead barrelled into the ground.

With regard to sensitivity and deadzone, it seems not to matter where you set these as soon as the joystick hits the first contact spot there’s the wild over control. It’s almost as if the game is seeing it as digital rather than analogue.

Autopilot sponsored and brought to you by Boeing 737 Max

Soldato
Managed to sign up to the MS ultimate pass for £1 for the first month to try this, then I think £10.99. Will see how I get on with the mouse and keyboard this weekend with the now old 2080 RTX :). I couldn't sign up to the cheaper beta for £1 (then £3.99 a month), maybe as already done a trial before. If good, and if I like flight sims, I'll cancel the trial within the month and buy the top end version for lowest price I can find. I don't spend enough time gaming at the moment to justify a monthly fee.

FYI you can set subscription to cancel, let it expire and sign up for the £1 trial every month.
I've done this for the past 4-5 months.
Have got the page bookmarked so it really is just a few clicks.

Soldato
FYI you can set subscription to cancel, let it expire and sign up for the £1 trial every month.
I've done this for the past 4-5 months.
Have got the page bookmarked so it really is just a few clicks.

this is good to know thanks! Seems like a wasted £3.99 here for the standard gamepass...will have to switch.

Soldato
Just completed my Ryzen upgrade from Haswell -

Before:
vQm5RCl.jpg
After:
ALKbTrt.png

Now limited by GPU, but not in red only yellow, which is what I expected - much much smoother panning the camera and solid 30fps+ with the same settings where as before it would dip when panning to as low as 12fps. Still need to do some testing to see if it's still crashing as before (which I suspected was down to the slower DDR3/general game bugs).

Getting twice the CPU score in 3DMark also, so looks like it was well worth doing.

Back
Top Bottom