Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
I'd buy the bar now, it comes well packaged so you can just store it.

Bars are like gold dust, especially at that price. They’ll be gone. They arrive well packed.

Alright, you've talked me into it - does look like a smart bar and I know I'm going to need one eventually. All the more motivation to press on with the painting :D

Trying to work out mats, thinking I will get the 18mm thick version of these: https://www.arkmat.co.uk/gym-mats/easy-clean-gym-flooring-mats/easy-clean-gym-flooring-mats.html

For insulation purposes I'm just going to cover the entire floor of the garage, which I make 2660mm wide and 5250mm long (or just under 9ft by just over 17ft long). The mats are 6 x 4 ft and I figured I would lay them in a sort of brick pattern. So I'd put whole mats alternating each side - 4 strips of that would give me 16ft of the length, requiring 4 bits to be cut to fill the leftovers (each of those will be about half a mat ~ 3ft x 4ft so that's 2 extra mats) and that leaves an odd little section at the end. Which would be 7 mats total (I think?) for £285 which doesn't seem too bad. I don't think I'll have to stick them down or anything as they weigh 40kg each!! But probably get some tape to run along the seams between the mats. Presume I can cut them with a decent stanley and a piece of timber to prop the edge up on? Will just have to be careful with the measurements as I'd like them to butt up to the walls as tightly as possible

Associate
Trying to work out mats, thinking I will get the 18mm thick version of these: https://www.arkmat.co.uk/gym-mats/easy-clean-gym-flooring-mats/easy-clean-gym-flooring-mats.html
Presume I can cut them with a decent stanley and a piece of timber to prop the edge up on? Will just have to be careful with the measurements as I'd like them to butt up to the walls as tightly as possible
Get a stock of extra blades - you'll go through a few cutting that many 18mm mats.
I've got the 12mm smooth mats and just cutting a bit off a small edge section blunted a blade.
https://www.arkmat.co.uk/gym-mats/1...gym-mat/12mm-smooth-black-rubber-gym-mat.html
Sounds like you've got the technique down though - all the US redditors say to prop the mats on something to allow the weight of the mat to help with pulling the cut open.

Soldato
Get a stock of extra blades - you'll go through a few cutting that many 18mm mats.
I've got the 12mm smooth mats and just cutting a bit off a small edge section blunted a blade.
https://www.arkmat.co.uk/gym-mats/1...gym-mat/12mm-smooth-black-rubber-gym-mat.html
Sounds like you've got the technique down though - all the US redditors say to prop the mats on something to allow the weight of the mat to help with pulling the cut open.

Are the 12mm thick enough? They're obviously a bit cheaper and I don't plan on doing any extreme powerlifting drops onto the floor... but felt like thicker would be worth it?

Man of Honour

Tell me about it. I was trying to cut a small corner of a 20mm mat with a kitchen knife. Took me ages. Worth having strong, thick mats though - you just have to go back a few pages to see the result of a 200kg deadlift landing on a 20mm mat on my patio :D - I now deadlift on 40mm mats.

Associate
For all shoulder and arm cable work I have hex plate 10s, 5s, 2.5s which are super quick to add/remove, especially with the handle. They are placed next to the cable machine for quick access. They have the added benefit of being used on my various oly bars as well.

https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-hex-olympic-weight-plates.html

When I do seated rows, I switch to using my bumpers, but I don't do any drop/super sets.

You can see the plates here in my gym.
You've got a pretty well organised setup. If I could source a bunch of pancake 5kg standard plates and some wall storage I suspect I'd be satisfied with the lat/low row.
I'm a bit restricted on space - my plates and dumbbells are all on the floor at the moment. I'm trying to work out some storage but space is a premium. I'll get some pics up of my dungeon!

Associate
Are the 12mm thick enough? They're obviously a bit cheaper and I don't plan on doing any extreme powerlifting drops onto the floor... but felt like thicker would be worth it?
For me , yes. I'm lifting in my garage with a concrete floor. Silly as it may sound I was also concerned the extra 6mm would interfere with headroom for the rack if I went with 18mm.
My max deadlift is 210kg but for now after a year of lax/sporadic lifting I'm working back up so my working sets are currently only 140kg and I don't drop the bar (touch wood).
If I had the space I'd probably build a platform just to be extra safe but for my current lifts I'm happy with the 12mm.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Associate
Associate
You've got a pretty well organised setup. If I could source a bunch of pancake 5kg standard plates and some wall storage I suspect I'd be satisfied with the lat/low row.
I'm a bit restricted on space - my plates and dumbbells are all on the floor at the moment. I'm trying to work out some storage but space is a premium. I'll get some pics up of my dungeon!

Im trying to be creative with storage for when I get more weights. We had a spare Ikea trofast unit the kids didn't use anymore which I added some heavy duty wheels on it and gave it a lick of paint and will use to store weights and the top is handy to use to hold phone, water bottle etc.

H9aiWyGl.jpg
YoJKnGal.jpg

Back
Top Bottom