Switching from OLED to Projection.. anyone done it?

Soldato
OP
No I would never go projector - I've had them set up and demos and even $20k model couldn't even get half the picture quality of an OLED.

Have you seen a JVC N5 or N7 in a treated room or with a good ALR screen? Which projectors have you seen?

I do agree though. OLED PQ is sublime. However it comes in postage stamp size compared to projectors.

Thats my 77'' OLED vs my incoming 110'' PJ screen.

For films, the OLED is nice as a reference monitor but as an experience, with a good sound system, I struggle to take is seriously compared to the PJ. You trade black level but you can actually see the details because the image is so big. You appreciate detail whilst with an OLED, its more a crisp sharp image which I appreciate.

Soldato
OP
If you have the room the nothing beats a huge screen with decent sound. I would find a 77” OLED too small for my needs.

What size screen have you got?

I'm in the process of buying a 110'' ALR screen. Thinking it might be good enough for my future needs for a while as it'll be in my smallest room in my new house.

Associate
I'd love to pair a JVC N5 with my Arendals!

So the projector wins basically?

How much did you manage to get the N5 for? I am toying with just trying to find a good deal on an N5. My only hesistancy stems from it hasn't had any price drops since being new, so I feel short changed buying the projector a year into its lifespan.

Difficult question. I don't think I'd give up my OLEDs; but I'd say the projector wins. Like I say, there's something timeless and appealing about a projected image. I'd say speakers as good as the Arendal Sound 1723 series deserve it.

The N5 was a smoking deal. It was an ex-demo unit with about 70 hours on it for just under £5000. That was in December. Previously used a JVC X3 model from circa 2012, so quite a step up despite both using the excellent DILA tech.

In terms of buying a projector mid-cycle - I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the end of the day, the N5 has all of the features you would need in a projector: True 4K resolution; low-latency for gaming; great contrast; full bandwith HDMI ports; HDR10; etc. Next year's model might offer 8K e-shift but my guess is that they won't actually be able to play native 8K content. With projectors, you don't feel as wrapped up in the tech-spec arms race as you would with a TV (that's partly because things like the quality of HDR on a TV is very noticeable -you notice the improvement from generation to generation- whereas it's quite subtle on a projector).

In terms of an ALR screen. They are good for their intended purpose in a more domestic setting; but my view is that if you can control the ambient light in the room, an ALR screen isn't needed.

Soldato
OP
Difficult question. I don't think I'd give up my OLEDs; but I'd say the projector wins. Like I say, there's something timeless and appealing about a projected image. I'd say speakers as good as the Arendal Sound 1723 series deserve it.

The N5 was a smoking deal. It was an ex-demo unit with about 70 hours on it for just under £5000. That was in December. Previously used a JVC X3 model from circa 2012, so quite a step up despite both using the excellent DILA tech.

In terms of buying a projector mid-cycle - I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the end of the day, the N5 has all of the features you would need in a projector: True 4K resolution; low-latency for gaming; great contrast; full bandwith HDMI ports; HDR10; etc. Next year's model might offer 8K e-shift but my guess is that they won't actually be able to play native 8K content. With projectors, you don't feel as wrapped up in the tech-spec arms race as you would with a TV (that's partly because things like the quality of HDR on a TV is very noticeable -you notice the improvement from generation to generation- whereas it's quite subtle on a projector).

In terms of an ALR screen. They are good for their intended purpose in a more domestic setting; but my view is that if you can control the ambient light in the room, an ALR screen isn't needed.

Thank you. You're definitely not wrong. If I could find an excellent price on an N5, I'd bite.
I might just settle for a x7900 if one ever comes up for sale for around £2.5k (a fair few went for that price earlier this year before lockdown on other forums).

ALR screens, I just love being able to turn on a light or open up a door and the image still looks very similar :D

Soldato
It sounds daft but your best off doing both because you will miss the TV when it’s gone especially for things like Corrie :p:p, projectors are great for movies and football but not for the normal day to day viewing.

Soldato
I've pretty much made up my mind to do the opposite. I'll be going from an 84" projector screen to a 65" OLED. Considered 77" but not sure I can justify the cost. Had projectors of varying sizes for so many years that I'm very out of touch with TV technology and while I do love the big screen experience, my life has changed and I'm finding I want to use it more when it's not dark outside which causes problems with image brightness. Movies/TV Shows and Gaming is pretty much what its used for. never any live TV.

Thankfully the drop in screen size isn't as extreme as it could be, but I suspect I'm still going to notice it. Hopefully the vibrance, brightness and overall picture quality improvements will distract me enough lol

Soldato
It sounds daft but your best off doing both because you will miss the TV when it’s gone especially for things like Corrie :p:p, projectors are great for movies and football but not for the normal day to day viewing.

Ah I love watching usual tv rubbish on my 100", makes everything a more enjoyable experience.
Even when she watches Love Island.

Soldato
Quick TV viewing use a wall mounted 55" 1080p LCD. Films then the grey projector screen drops down in front of the TV, 113" real estate or FOUR 55" screens worth of area.

No replacement for displacement.

Keep meaning to do a video of my system.

Man of Honour
Quick TV viewing use a wall mounted 55" 1080p LCD. Films then the grey projector screen drops down in front of the TV, 113" real estate or FOUR 55" screens worth of area.

No replacement for displacement.

Keep meaning to do a video of my system.

Please do. I'd be very interested in seeing your set up.

Soldato
Why? I keep hearing projectors are no good for everyday day viewing but never any reason why. We have been using projectors for everyday viewing without any problem. Just what is meant to be so bad about them?

We have a nice fixdframe with a black border so it looks like a large tv.

Soldato
Why? I keep hearing projectors are no good for everyday day viewing but never any reason why. We have been using projectors for everyday viewing without any problem. Just what is meant to be so bad about them?

We have a nice fixdframe with a black border so it looks like a large tv.
I don’t mean they are bad at all there is nothing bad about a big screen, and I’m in the process of pricing a PJ setup for my living room again as I really wish I didn’t get rid of mine a few years ago, but the majority of bulbs only last about 5k hours in eco and aren’t really supposed to be switched on and off like TVs, so if your using it as a tv the bulb is most likely going to degrade faster. that totally changes though when laser PJs become more mainstream.

Soldato
I don’t mean they are bad at all there is nothing bad about a big screen, and I’m in the process of pricing a PJ setup for my living room again as I really wish I didn’t get rid of mine a few years ago, but the majority of bulbs only last about 5k hours in eco and aren’t really supposed to be switched on and off like TVs, so if your using it as a tv the bulb is most likely going to degrade faster. that totally changes though when laser PJs become more mainstream.
My next will be a laser as they are cheaper now then large TV's. Eyeing up the OPTOMA UHZ65 its only £3200 ish and every so often it appears in the sales for under £3000. I see no reason why I cannot reuse my screen and projector mount, but I guess its different if you need to fit all 3 fresh. Just unsure to get it in the next sale or wait for the next gen of laser as this one must be getting near next gen.

Soldato
My next will be a laser as they are cheaper now then large TV's. Eyeing up the OPTOMA UHZ65 its only £3200 ish and every so often it appears in the sales for under £3000. I see no reason why I cannot reuse my screen and projector mount, but I guess its different if you need to fit all 3 fresh. Just unsure to get it in the next sale or wait for the next gen of laser as this one must be getting near next gen.
That’s my problem I can’t use DLP projectors as I see rainbows from hell, so I have to get a more expensive PJ for the same quality as DLP

Soldato
Yeah I own a 75" TV and a Sony VPL-VW350ES 4k PJ and TV everyday for viewing and the PJ for films and special events. I can'timagine owning and running a PJ for everyday tbh esepcially as day footage suffers in light unless you live like a hermit in blacked out rooms 24/7.

Personally, like someone else says, return it, go for a solid 65" and buy a PJ with remaning money!!! BTW, my PJ is epic, absolutely epic, and love it,. but every day? nahhhh

Soldato
OP
Yeah I own a 75" TV and a Sony VPL-VW350ES 4k PJ and TV everyday for viewing and the PJ for films and special events. I can'timagine owning and running a PJ for everyday tbh esepcially as day footage suffers in light unless you live like a hermit in blacked out rooms 24/7.

Personally, like someone else says, return it, go for a solid 65" and buy a PJ with remaning money!!! BTW, my PJ is epic, absolutely epic, and love it,. but every day? nahhhh

My draper react ALR screen does well for anything which isn't dark content, especially with the Epson 9400.

I can't stand a 65'' screen, thats the issue. Its honestly awfully small and I feel (after experiencing the 77 inch panel) a far far inferior experience. Nothing feels cinematic and nothing feels immersive from a 2.8m viewing distance. Its most definitely.. a TV-experience whilst the 77''' at least ventures into the cinematic.

I am tempted to just keep the 77'' panel AND get a PJ, or get a 75'' old 3D TV as I miss 3D films on a TV and get a PJ.

(Sorry to all 65'' owners.. P.S. I have a 65'' C9 and a 65'' 902B and they've both been relegated to rooms with small viewing distances/where I don't watch them).

Soldato
Had my projector coming up to five years and have something like 12-1300 hrs on the bulb.

People grossly underestimate how much actual on-time adds up to.

A 6000 HR bulb life is loooads and you will want a new machine when that pops!

Back
Top Bottom