• Digital Only Version

Votes: 172 16.2%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
No, as with the PS4 there is zero streaming of the data from the disk, it is your key to play the game only.

I stand corrected. Had presumed that the data is read quickly enough on the new bluray.

I'd like to think there is data on disk as just a key is doubly bad for the environment. And still not everyone is on high speed internet anyway sadly.

I seem to remember that there was a rumour around pre PS3 launch Sony wanted to tie disks to console. That long ago i don't even remember how true it really was.

Soldato
Yeah price is key. I got for example AC:Origins as it was £15.99 and to me that is ok for a digital game. I seem to have a limit of under £20 for digital.
Yep same here to be honest, although I did buy TLOU2 on release. If a game has beefy MP then I'm happy with digital, if it is SP only then I may buy on disc, but saying that i have bought just two games in the last few years on disc.

The biggest downside is that if you don't like a game you've bought you're screwed if you have already started it, even a game you like with terrbile bugs, no refund; although this very dodgy refund policy of Sony's is under investiagtion I read not long ago.

Caporegime
Ah, I was correct about Ubisoft and digital keys but it only seems to pertain to Collector's Editions of Xbox games. Every other SKU will get a disc.

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-GB/N...es-to-Collector-s-Edition-pre-orders-for-Xbox

It should be called the won't be worth **** in 20 years edition because the game will be tied to an account and nobody will want just a bunch of maps and other garbage thrown in to inflate the game price if they can't actually play it.

Soldato
Yep same here to be honest, although I did buy TLOU2 on release. If a game has beefy MP then I'm happy with digital, if it is SP only then I may buy on disc, but saying that i have bought just two games in the last few years on disc.

The biggest downside is that if you don't like a game you've bought you're screwed if you have already started it, even a game you like with terrbile bugs, no refund; although this very dodgy refund policy of Sony's is under investiagtion I read not long ago.

Yeah as I said earlier I often play a game for an hour and decide I dont like it so it's another factor eliminated if I get physical. I got Star Wars (forget the name) last year with my Nectar points, hated it and sold for £35, as opposed to paying £49.99 and never touching again. It's not a hard choice for me.

Caporegime
Yeah as I said earlier I often play a game for an hour and decide I dont like it so it's another factor eliminated if I get physical. I got Star Wars (forget the name) last year with my Nectar points, hated it and sold for £35, as opposed to paying £49.99 and never touching again. It's not a hard choice for me.

That's one of the big reasons for the digital push, publishers don't want you to be able to have the freedom to sell the game you felt ripped off buying to someone else cheaply because they've lost out on a sale and if you factor in that with some games a lot of people are doing the same thing their retail sales will drop off fast. It's a lot easier to try to block the second hand market than to make a game people won't feel the need to sell.

Soldato
That's one of the big reasons for the digital push, publishers don't want you to be able to have the freedom to sell the game you felt ripped off buying to someone else cheaply because they've lost out on a sale and if you factor in that with some games a lot of people are doing the same thing their retail sales will drop off fast. It's a lot easier to try to block the second hand market than to make a game people won't feel the need to sell.

Yeah I get it but I'll do whatever I can to avoid that. I quite like gamepass for this reason, a lot of these games I'd never have risked buying.

Soldato
Ah, I was correct about Ubisoft and digital keys but it only seems to pertain to Collector's Editions of Xbox games. Every other SKU will get a disc.

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-GB/N...es-to-Collector-s-Edition-pre-orders-for-Xbox
The fact this is Xbox only makes me think (& hope!) that MS might be bringing back some of the DRM stuff they planned for X1? It was brilliant, but the internet didnt read it and blew up. People forget that they were introducing essentially keys instead of discs, but also that there would be an online marketplace for selling those keys or swapping them. And that they would introduce branded storefronts for retailers like Amazon/Game etc. To be able to sell digital items! Absolutely brilliant and would be perfect now. As always MS were about 10 years ahead of the game and everyone just overreacted and we got nothing :(.

Soldato
They don't do every game, nor do they do every Sony game.

Until market is like it is on pc but for consol games I can see both companies keeping digital prices too high

I think the pricing is backwards. For a long time now, buyers of digital copies of new titles have been subsidising the disc gamers who like to trade in.

The disc copies should carry the inflated price tag so that the publishers get higher returns on initial disc sales to offset the damage to profit margins by the 2nd hand market. But then I guess outdated, close to extinction bricks and mortar retailers will cry too hard because actually they are the ones who win overall and they don't want that final nail in their coffin.

I will welcome a digital only future, even more so if it reduces game prices but I suspect that's just a pipe dream!

Associate
I think the pricing is backwards. For a long time now, buyers of digital copies of new titles have been subsidising the disc gamers who like to trade in.

Digital game prices are higher regardless of disc prices, makes more money for Sony/Microsoft and the devs. If discs went away digital prices wouldn't suddenly drop no matter what publishers etc say, they want to put the prices up if anything.

Also digital buyers don't subsidise disc buyers lol. Its mine and everyone else's choice to buy digital. The price for disc versions have always risen with inflation and stayed around the same whereas when digital was introduced it was with an initial price hike (which has since remained the same and risen with inflation etc). With the introduction of super duper ultra deluxe editions and micro-transactions publishers have ended up raising the price on all version anyway, they found a way round just upping the standard game price.

Soldato
For a long time now, buyers of digital copies of new titles have been subsidising the disc gamers who like to trade in.

Absolute nonsense. Digital prices are higher because publishers are greedy so they charge what they want to maximise profits. Plus games nowadays are just gateways to digital stores where they want players to spend a fortune on microtransactions.

Associate
I won't buy games where micro transactions give an edge to gameplay or become a necessary requirement to keep competing........ If people want to waste their money on a paint job for their tank , a new outfit for their character, or other such rubbish , then that is fine with me ........ But where you can buy bigger tanks, better guns, or faster cars then it really grates with me!
Don't get me started on mobile phone games!

Soldato
That's why we stick with R6 Siege. You can unlock characters with coins in the game (gained or purchased, as there are two currencies), which is easily done or you can skip that by buying a season pass and you keep the coins for skins. However, everyone gets the same equipment from the off. If you want to dress in a santa suit, ghillie suit, etc... that's on you, but you're not getting better equipment because you've sank £60 into it.

Soldato
Absolute nonsense. Digital prices are higher because publishers are greedy so they charge what they want to maximise profits. Plus games nowadays are just gateways to digital stores where they want players to spend a fortune on microtransactions.

Yes publishers are greedy but those who enjoy the convenience of digital have been getting over charged for a long time so it's normalised. But its precisely because of the revenue from this charging model that disc based media can be sold cheaper even though its marginally more expensive to produce and distribute. Also, more parties take a cut and therefore less profit to the publisher / developer overall. Its basically been a loss leader mechanic to prevent the bricks and mortar retailers going to the wall and the bad press and complaints that would undoubtedly create.

Disc based media is only around 20% of the sales revenue for games these days. So absolutely the reduced pricing and trade in mechanic is being propped up by higher than ever before digital purchases (and pricing).

In addition the 2nd hand market retailers bolster their own profits via the trade in processs to stay in business. Its a calculated gamble to price new releases lower than rrp. They know they will take their cut time and time again from the resale process but the pubs/devs get nothing.

Do you think publishers would allow this to persist if they were not making their money on digital sales?

Or do you think they would have physical games DRM'd up to the eyeballs and go the single use route to protect their interests?

By the way, I am not saying digital game prices are high because of the disc based game market. Exactly the opposite - the disc based games market is cheaper (ie subsidised) because of the vast revenues created by digital sales and the fact bricks and mortar resellers can take a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc bite of the cherry so can take the hit on new releases.

Back
Top Bottom