Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
My setup. Excuse the spiderwebs and dust everywhere!

Mirafit M2 350kg rack. Pullup bar inverted to clear the light (don't use it anyway).
Gorilla heavy duty flat bench.
15/20/25kg Origin Fitness rubber hex dumbbells + 34kg Origin round rubber dumbbells. There's a set of spinlock handles which will be setup as 10kg this weekend (I have more standard plates)
Various standard 1" plates on the lat/low row.
Cable attachments and landmine are on the floor on the other side of the rack.
Bench - Couple of 5kg bumpers on the International bar to get it up to weight (I'd rather it be 5kg over than 5kg under).
Deadlift - I have one set of 20kg bumpers on the inside and the rest are York G2 thin interlocking iron. The power bar was bought when the International bar was delayed - I wasn't sure a 7ft bar would have enough clearance but it just about works although it is a bear when loading/unloading the bar but I have a mini-deadlift jack which helps - heave it over to one side at an angle and use the jack. I still end up with brick dust on my clothes every time though!
It turned out to be a 30mm bar and not the 28mm I was expecting (substitute from the company when the originally ordered bar was sold out). I'll probably swap this for a 28mm bar eventually but it works for now.
There's a pair of 10kg G2 and a pair of 5kg plates from Strength Shop just turned up today.

A real mishmash of stuff but it was what was available and not excessively priced and I have most of my needs filled (although I would like an adjustable bench and a trap bar, but again, space is a premium).
On the left of the bike are some tools (router table/spindle sander) just taking up space which could be better utilised but I literally have nowhere else for them at the moment.

Planning to get a rack for the dumbbells which will go to the right of the bike - the Body-Solid 3 tier rack seems to be shallow enough to still be able to walk between it and the bike.

Most of the time when deadlifting I wheel the bike back out of the garage a bit so there's a little more space. However planning ahead for winter (or when there's hurricane wind like today) when the garage door will need to be closed, I can flip the bench on its end, roll the bar back a foot and lift with my heels level with the rack and it isn't a problem (once the dumbbells are off the floor).

Ii7593L.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm definitely going to put my rack lengthways (i.e. perpendicular to the above) - though I think you could get used to it; in my own garage I would have a spare foot either side of the bar to load plates which wouldn't be too bad... but I'd also like to put a mirror opposite the rack so I want it to be on a side wall facing another wall

Associate
Ive got 2 otions for placement. The partition is 212cm wide and with a 6ft barbell being 186cm that leaves me 44.5cm either side. Obv on the right hand side I would have more than 44.5. I've plotted the space that the rack will take up, felt bit like art attack!. This would leave me with just over 150 cm in front of the cage for deadlifting, warming up etc and full width of garage which is 300cm. I've also realised I need to mount my TV higher up to free up some wall space.

f4U6cgql.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
@lowdown how much space would say you needed either side of the M2 to be able to load plates on/off the bar? Trying to size out a couple of placement options in my space.
On the left hand side of the picture there's a one brick deep column which reduces the space I have to load the bar there. With the bar centred there's about 4-5 inches space. I usually pull the bar over fully to the right and load from inside the rack leaning over the safety pins. It can be a little awkward with the 20s. With a 7ft bar I'd need to move the entire rack forward to miss the column and doubt there's be enough space to load this way.
Once I get all the dumbbells and attachments off the floor I will centre the rack and there should still be enough space of me to be able to load from outside the rack, which will make it a little easier.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bar arrived from Mirafit, looks really nice and the quality is lovely.

DSCF8968.jpg

DSCF8969.jpg

DSCF8970.jpg

Back
Top Bottom