*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
The UDM is a much improved USG (in speed terms it’s at least 10x faster than the basic USG for IPS), a 4-port switch, a UniFi Cloud Key and a UAP-HDNano. So it’s actually pretty good value if you look at it like that.

And yes, you would just add another access point to give you better coverage. They even mesh so you don’t need to wire them in (although they work faster if you wire them in).

Associate
2 last questions about this stuff. Last night I was on YouTube for like 5 hours looking at reviews and it seems really strong.

1: I take it the reason most people don't have this device is simply the cost? I just bunged in "Asus router" into the rainforest and the ASUS RT-AX88U Wireless-AX6000 came up for about the same price as this dream machine. The DM is just better still in regards to routing?

2: Kind of a niche question but I see Unifi has their own line of security cameras. It seems like a really good idea after I sort out potentially additional AP to look into wireless security cameras. Does Unifi have any software for their cameras to back up footage to say Google Drive? I have an unlimited Google Drive account so may aswell use it.

Soldato
Bought a UniFi AP-HD-In Wall, problem is it reboots every 3/4 hours, kicks off all clients/ssh session drops/constant ping drops. AP is running 4.3.20.11298 [Stable] and Controller is running 5.14.18.0 [Stable]. Tried moving it to a seperate site to see if it was something weird with the site config, still crashes. 3 x other UniFi AP-AC-Pro are working fine in this site.

I questioned whether it might be a power issue so I've tried it plugged directly into UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W but still crashes, other items using POE from the switch have no issues, only drawing 32W. The only last thing I can think to do it use an injector rather than the switch to power the AP-HD-In Wall, think it's probably going back as I think it's borked!

Last edited:
Soldato
2 last questions about this stuff. Last night I was on YouTube for like 5 hours looking at reviews and it seems really strong.

1: I take it the reason most people don't have this device is simply the cost? I just bunged in "Asus router" into the rainforest and the ASUS RT-AX88U Wireless-AX6000 came up for about the same price as this dream machine. The DM is just better still in regards to routing?

2: Kind of a niche question but I see Unifi has their own line of security cameras. It seems like a really good idea after I sort out potentially additional AP to look into wireless security cameras. Does Unifi have any software for their cameras to back up footage to say Google Drive? I have an unlimited Google Drive account so may aswell use it.

The key to the UDM is the fact that it’s a complete UniFi system in one box. And it’s dead easy to add more access points or switches if required.

I would avoid UniFi Protect at all costs. It’s a completely closed ecosystem and it has major issues.

Soldato
Bought a UniFi AP-HD-In Wall, problem is it reboots every 3/4 hours, kicks off all clients/ssh session drops/constant ping drops. AP is running 4.3.20.11298 [Stable] and Controller is running 5.14.18.0 [Stable]. Tried moving it to a seperate site to see if it was something weird with the site config, still crashes. 3 x other UniFi AP-AC-Pro are working fine in this site.

I questioned whether it might be a power issue so I've tried it plugged directly into UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W but still crashes, other items using POE from the switch have no issues, only drawing 32W. The only last thing I can think to do it use an injector rather than the switch to power the AP-HD-In Wall, think it's probably going back as I think it's borked!

What’s the build date (QA date) from the box and which reseller did you get it from? Some of the very early ones were indeed defective.

Soldato
Test date is 23-Apr-20, got it from ** No Competitors **

I raised a case with Unifi support and they've asked me for tech output from the switch and asked me to use a POE injector (which I'd already considered), I would consider the AP defective if it can't be powered by a UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Already done :)

I've plugged it into a POE injector just out of curiosity to see what it does, I'll return tomorrow.

It's a nice solution and coverage from the IW AP seemed really good, shame I just got a duff one out of the box!

Soldato
Test date is 23-Apr-20, got it from Broadbandbuyer.

I raised a case with Unifi support and they've asked me for tech output from the switch and asked me to use a POE injector (which I'd already considered), I would consider the AP defective if it can't be powered by a UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W

Correct, if it can’t be powered from a working UniFi PoE switch then it’s defective.

Soldato
So I plugged it into POE this morning, it's now been up for over 7 hours (longest ever) without issue, so the IW AP seems to have an issue with POE from UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W, the same switch has been happily powering AC-Pro's without issue for 2+ years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple Airport router seems to have packed in so i'm in the market for a new home setup. We have BT Infinity through a modem that connects PPPoE to the downstairs router, which then is cabled upstairs to the Airport extender. I've just been using wifi for all my devices as it seems to work fine.

I'm looking at the home networking stuff on the website - should I get the Alien? Mesh? Gamer's Edition? I don't see a lot of difference apart from aesthetics.

[Edit]Given i'm a gamer i'm thinking the gamer's edition and then I've got an extra wireless point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn’t get any of those systems. Do you still have the BT home hub dishing out IP’s or is it just an openreach modem?

Just trying to work out if you need a router or not.

A single access point like a flexHD or nanoHD(ceiling mounted!) and it will likely cover your whole home if placed centrally.

Soldato
It’s an openreach modem, i’d rather have bowel surgery without anaesthetic than use the homehub.

I do still have a working Airport Express extender but it doesn’t cover the whole house, i’d likely need two.

Caporegime
A little help please.

Been on Virgin 200/20 for a year and use two Unifi APs in the house, as the signal from the SH3 beyond the living room is crap (the SH3 isn't in modem mode). Devices with a good connection to the Unifi Wifi network I have running could reach 200/20. Since we upgraded to Virgin's 350/35 the download speeds never seemed to top 200 on Unifi, and I thought also on the SH (around two months ago). I tried a laptop wired (SH3) a few weeks ago and again, didn't top 200 for download. Today on my Note 9, I got 350/26 connected to the SH3 but switching over to Unifi (standing in the same position and both the AP and SH3 are in sight/close) I only managed 210/26. The HTPC in the living room still won't go over 200 for download, connected to Unifi. CMD says the HTPC is connected via 802.11ac @ 400/400Mbps for receive and transmit. The USB dongle in the HTPC is capable of 300Mbps for 2.4 and 867Mbps for the 5.0.

The AP in the living room is the AP-LR and the one in the kitchen is the AP-AC Lite. So what's the bottle neck? The AP? The dongle? I will eventually try and wire more of the network, just haven't got round to it.

Soldato
It’s an openreach modem, i’d rather have bowel surgery without anaesthetic than use the homehub.

I do still have a working Airport Express extender but it doesn’t cover the whole house, i’d likely need two.

If you want to go down the unifi route the. I would start with a UDM as you need a modem and see where you get to. You can add further APs as needed. How big is your house?

A little help please.

Been on Virgin 200/20 for a year and use two Unifi APs in the house, as the signal from the SH3 beyond the living room is crap (the SH3 isn't in modem mode). Devices with a good connection to the Unifi Wifi network I have running could reach 200/20. Since we upgraded to Virgin's 350/35 the download speeds never seemed to top 200 on Unifi, and I thought also on the SH (around two months ago). I tried a laptop wired (SH3) a few weeks ago and again, didn't top 200 for download. Today on my Note 9, I got 350/26 connected to the SH3 but switching over to Unifi (standing in the same position and both the AP and SH3 are in sight/close) I only managed 210/26. The HTPC in the living room still won't go over 200 for download, connected to Unifi. CMD says the HTPC is connected via 802.11ac @ 400/400Mbps for receive and transmit. The USB dongle in the HTPC is capable of 300Mbps for 2.4 and 867Mbps for the 5.0.

The AP in the living room is the AP-LR and the one in the kitchen is the AP-AC Lite. So what's the bottle neck? The AP? The dongle? I will eventually try and wire more of the network, just haven't got round to it.

Advertised speeds are theoretical and highly dependent on what is going on local conditions. Those access points are designed to be mounted on the ceiling so you may not be getting an optimal experience with them.

I would start by turning off the WiFi on the SH3, that isn’t going to help. How are all the APs connected?

Caporegime
Advertised speeds are theoretical and highly dependent on what is going on local conditions. Those access points are designed to be mounted on the ceiling so you may not be getting an optimal experience with them.

I would start by turning off the WiFi on the SH3, that isn’t going to help. How are all the APs connected?
Fair enough, just wasn't expecting that much disparity. The living room AP is connected to the SH3 via Ethernet and mounted on the ceiling, kitchen AP piggybacking via WiFi. I will look how crowded the channels are and try the SH3 in modem mode.

One thing I have noticed in that general area, my wireless Xbox controller has a torrid time :p.

Soldato
A little help please.

On the access points, what channel width are you using for the 5GHz radio? If it is 40Mhz (VHT40) then try increasing it to 80Mhz (VHT80). This should give you more speed, although at the cost of less resistance to interference. The SH3 may be using 80Mhz by default, hence the higher speeds.

Soldato
I guess you are in a bungalow? I think both of those AP's are 2x2 designs and with the kitchen AP using WiFi for its back haul it will ultimately impact the speed of the network.

Are you sure that when you join the ubiquiti network you are not on the kitchen AP rather than the lounge AP? Devices attached to the kitchen AP will effectively have half the normal bandwidth available as the other half will be used to communicate with the lounge AP.

Soldato
So I've hit an annoying problem. Due to some issues related to my house repairs, the USG was unplugged for a short while to allow for fans to be placed... plugging it back in, the internet came up as expected but the USG-3P remained disconnected from the controller. It stayed like this for hours so wanting to get it back I ran through the normal adoption processes but the device is being rejected by the controller, despite it being ok. I've tried to reset the USG and even deleted ensured the forgetten USG was deleted from the mongo database... everytime it then pops up as adoptable (After factory reset) goes the rhrough the adoption process and then ends up being disconnected; if I then forget the device again it eventually showes up as a 'managed by other' device and its effectively in a loop of adopt/disconnected/forget/managed by other/force adopt process...

Anyone got any good ideas apart from a hammer?!

Thanks,

Chris

Edit: After a good 4-5 hours of intermittent playing around (was leaving it for a while between goes), I figured I would disable SSH authentication as well as reload a previous config... lo and behold it worked! The USG immediately provisioned and all I had to do was switch the settings from DHCP to PPPoE and Internet was resumed with all my settings for the various servers in the homelab!

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got the new UniFi Switch Lite 8 PoE as I'm needing a switch for around the TV area bits of kit?

I'm still using switches and wifi from UI, but nothing edge! Sophos XG on a Pondesk Atom setup and perfect. Need to sell off the PowerEdge R220 server

Back
Top Bottom