**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Aparently if you are on game pass the Deluxe Bundle or Premium Deluxe comes with the standard game its not an add on, so you can get it there cheaper, and Microsoft CS confirmed its not DLC.

Soldato
I've taken a closer look tonight and performance and quality. I refuse to go lower than High-End in settings, it just looks miles better than medium.

So at 4K I am GPU bound by my 980TI, I get around 20FPS over San Fran with dips in frame rate. It's playable, but, not great.

Switch to 1080p frame rate is a lot better, but now CPU bound by my 4470K. However, running non native res is not nice on the best of days, on a 32" 4K monitor, it just looks really horrible.

I'm in two minds what to do to improve performance here. I could either buy a second monitor, either 1080p or 1440p and run with that, or stick with 4K and spend a lot on a new build when the time is right for components. Damn this sim and damn 4K for spoiling me, not sure I could go back. But then you look at the highest end GPUs and they are scraping in to the 30FPS @ 4K, add some fancy 3rd party aircraft in to the mix, and we will be back in the 20FPS territory again. Gotta love flight sims.

4k is fine on my 1080, with the render scaling dropped to 75-80%, so you can get a sharp UI and there's very little blurriness.

Soldato
If the render scaling is 70-80%, it's only the UI that's 4K.

1440p with 80% render scaling is outputting the game at 2048x1152 for example.

Yes exactly, you get the UI at 4k and the rest of the game at the reduced scaling. The upsampling is pretty good. Very playable at 4k without ridiculous hardware.

Soldato
Anyone else using an x52 pro by any chance?

Trying to locate a stick profile but there doesn't seem to be anything about

If anyone else has trouble with this, found the solution thanks to AVSIM forums, leave the controller unplugged, load the game and get the controls option menu. At this point plug it and it should be recognised, select default layout and then go and save a copy of it straight away.

Seems to all be working fine and if the game "forgets"the stick again I have a profile set to go :)

Associate
I had a real blast today. The Bush flights in the activities section are really fun. The Vfr navigation kinda keeps you on your toes while you enjoy the scenery, and it's a bit more hands on than the airliner flights which are all instrument focused. I'm usually all about the airliners, but it was a really nice change of pace. Also, for anyone trying to learn the airliners from scratch, the checklists are your friend. They'll help you get from cold and dark to the runway and beyond. I'm still a bit rubbish at following a flight plan, and that's my main challenge. I followed ATC instructions to JFK but they wanted me to go from FL190 to 2k feet and land all at once.

if you’re enjoying VFR flying, get yourself some free charts here - https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/

They’re large PDFs, the sectional ones cover the whole of the USA. The terminal charts are higher scale and cover the more congested areas. The detail in Flight Simulator is perfectly good enough to find most of the details that these charts show and allow you to do VFR navigation just as you would in the real world.

Soldato
Could you imagine what a flight sim would be like if google & Microsoft teamed up and released one using google maps and google street views :eek:

Guessing that would take one hell of a system to be able to run something like that, plus would need a crazy speed internet connection

Maybe in another 10 to 15 years :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit more tweaking - (I know you're probably all getting tired of my posts haha).

Looks like 16GB DDR4 3200MHz makes a big difference over 16GB DDR3 1600MHz - I still don't think 32GB is necassary unless you're trying to play with all settings maxed out.

iGiqorl.png

Whilst during the initial loading screen, usage can spike up to 99%, it then quickly settles back down to what you see above.

Average frames are now 30fps on the ground (both internal and external) (KSEA), and up to around 50fps in the air:

fvN1Tmh.jpg

And loading into NY:

axjYWHG.png

60P0tt8.jpg

Even here RAM usage settles down after a few moments:

S0t0bWh.jpg

This is 1440p in the settings, with render scaling down to 80 (1152p). Leaving it at 100 knocks off around 10fps from the averages. The rest of my settings are as per here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407 except I also have my Level of Detail sliders at 80 for both. V Sync off. Live weather, time and traffic at default levels.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit more tweaking - (I know you're probably all getting tired of my posts haha).

Looks like 16GB DDR4 3200MHz makes a big difference over 16GB DDR3 1600MHz - I still don't think 32GB is necassary unless you're trying to play with all settings maxed out.
I noticed last night mine was using all 11GB of my GPU Vram :eek: then it dropped to 10.5GB of Vram

This was at 3440 x 1440 with almost all the settings maxed out..

Associate
I'm getting around 35-38 fps flying through New York (3440 UW at Ultra settings), gets up to 50-60 over quieter areas and seems fairly steady. The new nvidia driver looks to have solved an issue I was having with periodic low GPU usage as well.

smr

smr

Soldato
Trying to install on someone else's computer and it downloaded 90gb yesterday and just seemed to freeze at around 86gb, so I put the computer to sleep last night as I didn't want it on whilst I was asleep. Woke up this morning and restarted the game, it then comes up saying 3gb needs to be installed, but has been on this screen for 45 minutes now... any ideas?

118086972_10157686166467644_3519452949340588425_o.jpg

Soldato
Yep it loves VRAM, my Vega 56 is struggling now that my CPU isn't holding it back. Will be good to see what improvement the new Nvidia and AMD cards bring.
Just been flying around St Malo and it was only using 8GB around there

If i remember right it was using the 11GB of Vram last night when i was flying around where the Twin towers in the US used to be (can't remember the name of the new tower)

Back
Top Bottom