Replacing floor joists and floorboards cost.

Associate
Home buyers report came back with springy floor \ rotten floor joists in the living room.
Floorboards have seen better days so they will need to be replaced as well.
The house is 1930's semi detached.
Anyone know how much it will cost to replace the lot and how long it will take?

Associate
Any idea how much investigation they did on the report? Is there a carpet / wood floor down they couldn’t lift and just putting that down to cover themselves?
Or have they actually taken up floorboards and inspected the joists underneath?
I’d be pleasantly surprised if they had!

I recently replaced some floorboards at a cost of £2/m. No idea on joist cost.
If you are doing entire rooms would be better to plywood the room.

Associate
OP
Depends on the size of the room. Composition of the floor. Are you doing it yourself?
Room size is 12 x 12ft.
I won't be doing it myself.
Composition of the floor??

Any idea how much investigation they did on the report? Is there a carpet / wood floor down they couldn’t lift and just putting that down to cover themselves?
Or have they actually taken up floorboards and inspected the joists underneath?
I’d be pleasantly surprised if they had!
The surveyor said that the floor was springy. He lifted a floor board up in the bay window area and found a rotten joist. He said it might be just the one or there could be more due to the floor being springy.
There is no flooring or carpet down just bare floorboards.
There are a few floorboards that have seen better days from what I saw myself when viewing the house.

Soldato
Room size is 12 x 12ft.
I won't be doing it myself.
Composition of the floor??

The surveyor said that the floor was springy. He lifted a floor board up in the bay window area and found a rotten joist. He said it might be just the one or there could be more due to the floor being springy.
There is no flooring or carpet down just bare floorboards.
There are a few floorboards that have seen better days from what I saw myself when viewing the house.

You need to lift boards around the bay and look for further damage.

Replacing a couple of joists is gonna be way cheaper than all of them.

Also make sure no air bricks are blocked up because you need air flow through that floor.

Don't go thinking the worst. it might be a cheap ish fix.

Soldato
Without seeing the floor and the room its very hard to price something like this. The damage could be minimal or extensive and until you lift the floor up you wont know.

Associate
OP
You need to lift boards around the bay and look for further damage.

Replacing a couple of joists is gonna be way cheaper than all of them.

Also make sure no air bricks are blocked up because you need air flow through that floor.

Don't go thinking the worst. it might be a cheap ish fix.
OK thanks.
There are 3 air bricks in the bay window that I can see from the outside and they aren't blocked but that doesn't mean to say that they are not blocked up the other end.
Hopefully it will be only the one or two that need sorting.
I'm having a timber and damp surveyor coming to have a look the beginning of September so will have a better idea then.

Without seeing the floor and the room its very hard to price something like this. The damage could be minimal or extensive and until you lift the floor up you wont know.
As said above, the timber and damp surveyor will having a look so I presume he will be lifting the floorboards up to assess how bad the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom