Show Us Your Motors!

Caporegime
See, I've tried a few and never really noticed that. I found the juke in particular to be utterly loathsome and far less practical and comfortable than even my mum's Micra! I just cannot see what they offer.
SUVs, yeah as you say the more upright driving position and potentially better access for the infirm. Not always though as my grandparents found them a struggle and were actually far more comfortable in mpvs for example.

It is simply the iPhone generation. Nothing but a status symbol. As you said an MPV at least makes far more sense. As much as people laugh at its looks cars like the fiat multipla are fantastic for what they were designed for.

Only time I would ever purchase an SUV is if I needed a tow car for more than 2 tonne or I lived in the Scottish Highlands

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Apart from the old bit, exactly why my wife bought a T-Roc to replace her Mini.

She’d originally wanted a Golf but with back issues plus a baby the extra height the T-Roc gives is ideal for her all round.

Having had a Golf R myself before she got the T-Roc R I can compare how they drive, and it’s unsurprisingly not that different just with a little more roll/feeling of weight over the Golf.

Compared to the RS3 it feels like a skyscraper getting into it!
Interior plastics on the T-Roc are nasty though. Hard and scratchy coz it’s an off-roader innit?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I never understand this baby argument. When I am loading my baby into his isofix in my estate. It is at waste height which is the correct posture to be at when manual handling an object.

The T-Roc isn’t massively higher up remember, it’s just a bit higher than a regular Golf, but it’s enough to make a difference for my wife with her back problems.

In my RS3 she has to bend down to put him in his car seat which puts strain on certain areas, with the T-Roc she can load in horizontally at a reasonable level he is normally carried at by her without having to lower any load (it’s a fixed spinny car seat).

Similar for the boot, it’s at the level she would carry stuff at, not lifting ‘up’ to get stuff in.

So it all makes a massive difference for her.

I also drove a 1800 mile stint in an estate and my back was fresh and fine afterward. No weird problems or medical conditions arose from it either.

Bit of an odd comment/comparison in the context, comparing someone who has diagnosed issues which are relatively sensitive to stuff like posture with vehicle, getting in and out etc, to someone who doesn’t have those driving a car normally. Why would you have problems or medical conditions arise from driving a car on a long stint or otherwise unless you had a condition in the first place?

I’m not saying here it’s a matter of comfort from a long drive, that’s totally different, or knocking the comfort of an estate.

I used to do 20k a year in an S2000 and it was fine for me, took her in it for a weekend away and it absolutely ruined her back.

Interior plastics on the T-Roc are nasty though. Hard and scratchy coz it’s an off-roader innit?

It was one of the things I was least liking about the car from what I remember about the test drive, but after a minute or two in the car it soon becomes a non issue.

The bits that are hard scratchy rather than soft plastics are actually pretty minimal, the interior trim decoration and centre console is all the usual type of materials (Piano black decorative trim, and the entertainment and controls are straight out of a Golf).

It’s just some of the surrounding materials on the dash and centre console, but as much as I was prepared to hate them it really isn’t an issue.

And there’s bits of the interior that are better than the Golf I had, the seats for instance have a much nicer trim and are part leather as standard unlike the full cloth in the Golf.

Of course I seem to spend most of my time sat in the back with the little one at the moment whenever I do go in it...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
See, I've tried a few and never really noticed that. I found the juke in particular to be utterly loathsome and far less practical and comfortable than even my mum's Micra! I just cannot see what they offer.
SUVs, yeah as you say the more upright driving position and potentially better access for the infirm. Not always though as my grandparents found them a struggle and were actually far more comfortable in mpvs for example.

I actually thought there was something wrong with the specific cars the first few times I had rides in Nissan SUVs like the Juke, etc. smallest bump and it is like being in a small boat in a choppy sea! even my pickup is way more settled/planted. The higher trim level Nissan SUVs are actually pretty decent for the money (Tekna, etc.) but the levels below that leave something to be desired and several design choices IMO undid a lot of the potential advantages of being an SUV in the first place.

I'd be pretty happy with the Tiguan if only they had just a little more powerful engine options and/or preferably a V6 option.

Caporegime
Absolutely baffling that Ford are still fitting halogen bulbs to brand new models these days. Surely it has LED headlights as standard anyway?

Loads of manufacturers use halogen still. In fact I'd say all of them do in at least some models, in at least some places. (With exceptions where luxury/supercar only manufacturers are concerned)

I'd also be shocked if LED headlights are standard equipment on any Focus, ST or not. They are probably a fairly pricey option. Except perhaps on the RS? They would probably be standard on that... Just guessing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bit of an odd comment/comparison in the context, comparing someone who has diagnosed issues which are relatively sensitive to stuff like posture with vehicle, getting in and out etc, to someone who doesn’t have those driving a car normally. Why would you have problems or medical conditions arise from driving a car on a long stint or otherwise unless you had a condition in the first place?

I’m not saying here it’s a matter of comfort from a long drive, that’s totally different, or knocking the comfort of an estate.

I used to do 20k a year in an S2000 and it was fine for me, took her in it for a weekend away and it absolutely ruined her back.

You are comparing an S2000 which is a focused sports car which is a valid point as it could be difficult for someone with a bad back due to the harshness of the suspension compared to something relatively normal. The point I was making is an estate is just as comfortable as an SUV as most of them are just based on their saloon counterparts but raised up. The interior and layout will be in a lot of cases exactly the same or very similar.

Caporegime
Not many ‘proper’ SUVs are based on a taller saloon. The seating position is completely different.

A juke is hardly an SUV. Isn’t it just a tall hatchback ?

Soldato
Loads of manufacturers use halogen still. In fact I'd say all of them do in at least some models, in at least some places. (With exceptions where luxury/supercar only manufacturers are concerned)

I'd also be shocked if LED headlights are standard equipment on any Focus, ST or not. They are probably a fairly pricey option. Except perhaps on the RS? They would probably be standard on that... Just guessing.

I'm not so sure. Or maybe Vauxhall are just ahead of the game. Every single new Corsa, Insignia, CrosslandX, GrandlandX, and most Astras have LED headlights as standard.

In these days of fleet CO2 targets, LED headlights actually save a gram or two of CO2, so not only are they a better customer experience it helps with CO2 as well.

Caporegime
As the test isn’t done in the dark they don’t actually help. But Vauxhall’s seem to have spun a marketing story out of it (if you do the nedc in the dark based on wattage).

I wonder what the lifetime carbon analysis of the two headlight options are and is there a weight difference

Caporegime
Ignore me, the Ford website has conflicting information... Some Focus models have Halogens still, but most have LED.

Spec lists for some models mention the LED headlights, others dont.

For example the Zetec lists "LED Reflector headlamps and LED day time running lamps" but the ST-Line only lists "LED Front fog lamps". The ST-Line X has "Full fixed LED headlamps" and the Vignale has "Adaptive LED headlights" but the Titanium only says "LED rear lamps" which isn't mentioned on any of the others, which must surely have them...

In a different Ford brochure, the Style lists "halogen headlights", the Zetec doesn't specify better headlights than the Style, and in fact LED isnt even mentioned at all until you get down to the Vignale.

Quite crap really! Marketing dept. need to sort it out! :p

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/focus/m...ontent/overlays/download-a-brochure/new-focus

Last edited:
Soldato

Most new models in this bracket (and plenty in lower ones) have them as standard, at least on anything beyond the most basic trim level. It's not an unreasonable expectation, they aren't a premium option any more and especially shouldn't be on a performance model.

My old Mazda 3 Sport from 2007 had LED tail/brake lights as standard, my 2014 Leon FR ha LED headlights and rear lights as standard (more accurately the Tech Pack was provided FOC for a time but you'd need to go out of your way to find a Mk3 Leon FR without it).

Caporegime
I don't want to have a drink with anyone who cares quite frankly. :p
Educate yourself then :p. It’s just interesting they make marketing claims behind it when it’s not really relevant to car emissions and only looks at wattage and not other factors related to the bigger co2 pictures.

I imagine going for a drink with you involves Wetherspoons and minesweeping based on your car purchase habits anyway:p

Back
Top Bottom