**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
Need a set of 205 50 15's. Any of the deals/offers people were discussing still active?

If not I'll just get a set of NS2-R 180 compound's from eBay for £238 delivered.

e; actually scratch that I need to put some scrap tyres on to figure out fitment etc before choosing a size... As you were lads!

238 delivered for a set of 15" NS2R's is good though if anyone needs some. £20 per tyre cheaper than normal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had my car serviced and they informed me that my front tyres were at 3mm. Although the legal limit is 1.6mm I've just done a search on 3mm tyres and there seems to be cases both for and against changing the tyres at 3mm. The tyres have been on since new (4 years now) and I only do about 5k per year on them. So, change or keep a bit longer?

Man of Honour
Just had my car serviced and they informed me that my front tyres were at 3mm. Although the legal limit is 1.6mm I've just done a search on 3mm tyres and there seems to be cases both for and against changing the tyres at 3mm. The tyres have been on since new (4 years now) and I only do about 5k per year on them. So, change or keep a bit longer?

Performance reduces a fair bit below 3mm, especially in colder and/or wetter conditions. The degree of performance loss depends somewhat on the make of tyre. My Pirelli P Zeros were very noticeable whereas my CS5s were more forgiving.

Soldato

We're coming up to autumn / winter now and the weather is getting wetter and wetter. I wouldn't chance things much longer with 3mm tyres.

Soldato
Been reading up a bit more on tyres and seen several articles that the newer tyres with more tread should be on the rear. My current tyres are front - 3mm and rear - 5mm.

So, when I buy some new tyres I swap the current rears to the front and put the brand new ones on the rear? Never done this before but I think that's cos I've always done all 4 tyres at the same time.

Soldato
Been reading up a bit more on tyres and seen several articles that the newer tyres with more tread should be on the rear. My current tyres are front - 3mm and rear - 5mm.

So, when I buy some new tyres I swap the current rears to the front and put the brand new ones on the rear? Never done this before but I think that's cos I've always done all 4 tyres at the same time.

Correct. Put the current rears on the front, and the new tyres on the rear.

Soldato
It's not ideal, but it's not the worst thing either. I'm guessing when it comes time to change the "new" fronts, you will probably go for the same again, so will be ok.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Be good to hear how you get on with them, especially once we get into colder months.

Sorry with the late. Thought i'll give it a while before i post back.

Tyres have been brilliant. Especially in the rain. I have more confident in these in the wet. Tyres sticks nice and solid on the road, especially on bends. You have this feeling that you know these tyres are not going to fail on you. Where as previous tyres never had any confident levels.
Basically they've transformed my car.

I won't be using any other tyres from now on. Crossclimates all the way :D

Back
Top Bottom