Switching from OLED to Projection.. anyone done it?

Soldato
My draper react ALR screen does well for anything which isn't dark content, especially with the Epson 9400.

I can't stand a 65'' screen, thats the issue. Its honestly awfully small and I feel (after experiencing the 77 inch panel) a far far inferior experience. Nothing feels cinematic and nothing feels immersive from a 2.8m viewing distance. Its most definitely.. a TV-experience whilst the 77''' at least ventures into the cinematic.

I am tempted to just keep the 77'' panel AND get a PJ, or get a 75'' old 3D TV as I miss 3D films on a TV and get a PJ.

(Sorry to all 65'' owners.. P.S. I have a 65'' C9 and a 65'' 902B and they've both been relegated to rooms with small viewing distances/where I don't watch them).
No fella that's what I'd actually do, is keep the 77"... I was assuming that you couldn't afford both but yeah, no way on earth would I go backwards from my 75" now... not a chance, infact that feels small in my living room and would really want 85" in the living room... and I'll be moving to a 120" on the PJ over the next couple of months as I'm building a dedicated cinema room beneath my living room at 21ftx18ft so, wanted 133/150" BUT that is going to take too much brightness/nits/lumens off my PJ and I want to keep the nits above 100 so 120" it is!

Mate if you can afford it, deffo keep the 77" and go PJ!!! Plus my PJ runs 3D as well so I have the best of both worlds infact.

Soldato
OP
No fella that's what I'd actually do, is keep the 77"... I was assuming that you couldn't afford both but yeah, no way on earth would I go backwards from my 75" now... not a chance, infact that feels small in my living room and would really want 85" in the living room... and I'll be moving to a 120" on the PJ over the next couple of months as I'm building a dedicated cinema room beneath my living room at 21ftx18ft so, wanted 133/150" BUT that is going to take too much brightness/nits/lumens off my PJ and I want to keep the nits above 100 so 120" it is!

Mate if you can afford it, deffo keep the 77" and go PJ!!! Plus my PJ runs 3D as well so I have the best of both worlds infact.

Its just so hard to find a decently priced PJ.

I'm tempted to check out the DLPs... not sure how well the black levels will or won't be or whether to just go back to the Epson 9400... or wait for a JVC X7900. I miss 3D.

Soldato
Its just so hard to find a decently priced PJ.

I'm tempted to check out the DLPs... not sure how well the black levels will or won't be or whether to just go back to the Epson 9400... or wait for a JVC X7900. I miss 3D.
Black levels tend to be the worst of PJs on DLP projectors and if you suffer from RE they can be very off putting

Caporegime
Why? I keep hearing projectors are no good for everyday day viewing but never any reason why. We have been using projectors for everyday viewing without any problem. Just what is meant to be so bad about them?

We have a nice fixdframe with a black border so it looks like a large tv.

Black levels
Contrast
Refresh rate

Basically everything bar size

Soldato
Fundamentally it's the people who havent had a large image in their own space clinging onto their spec sheet OLEDs. My friend has a 55" LG OLED in similar size lounges, he sees my projector setup for the first time and goes 'whoa'.

Soldato
Not sure why people keep comparing PJ's to OLED's, completely different tech, it's like saying my Lambourghini is better than your Vauxhall Astra... pointless, two completely different reasons for buying. I own and LCD, OLED and a PJ... and they all have their own benefits but I NEVER compare them, why would I they all serve different purposes... BUT I know one thing, when a new 4k disc comes down I'm straight onto the PJ.

Soldato
Black levels
Contrast
Refresh rate

Basically everything bar size
ALR screens are amazing they massively improve black level and contrast. Not up to to the level of OLED but enough to make the image stunning. If you want to game there are 4k, HDR options at 240Hz at good prices. Not really sure what is wrong with 240 refresh rates. Projectors and screens have really moved on in recent years and they are getting even better know that laser is getting more affordable so instant on and off and no lamps to replace and no loss of brightness over time.

Soldato
Compared to an OLED 3000:1 is rubbish.
The ALR screen improves the contrast by a large amount. Not as good as OLED but more then good enough. Some ALR screens more then triple contrast so a 3000:1 turns into better then 10,000:1 native and then a further improvement with dynamic iris if you have that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fundamentally it's the people who havent had a large image in their own space clinging onto their spec sheet OLEDs. My friend has a 55" LG OLED in similar size lounges, he sees my projector setup for the first time and goes 'whoa'.

Exactly (and sadly).

Close minded people and fanboys will always favour the technologies they know.

I have a 77 inch OLED and 65 inch OLED in house but because I've had projection in the same room, I can appreciate the superiority in experience of a PJ and the technical superiority of the OLEDs.

Not sure why people keep comparing PJ's to OLED's, completely different tech, it's like saying my Lambourghini is better than your Vauxhall Astra... pointless, two completely different reasons for buying. I own and LCD, OLED and a PJ... and they all have their own benefits but I NEVER compare them, why would I they all serve different purposes... BUT I know one thing, when a new 4k disc comes down I'm straight onto the PJ.

We're comparing because if you need to choose between the two for a specific space, they compete against eachother. For example, if I have a budget of £5k or £8k, and I'm interested in the JVC line of PJs and LG OLEDs, sadly I need to compare them if I want a TV of a fairly reasonable size. :)

I completely agree with you on that. Which PJ have you got? Is your room treated?

Soldato
OP
The ALR screen improves the contrast by a large amount. Not as good as OLED but more then good enough. Some ALR screens more then triple contrast so a 3000:1 turns into better then 10,000:1 native and then a further improvement with dynamic iris if you have that.

My Draper React ALR transformed a measly HW40ES, and with the Epson 9400 darastically improved the image. I do understand if people see a PJ projected onto a wall, they'd be a bit 'meh' about it, but I agree that on a nice ALR screen, it really really helps alter the perceived contrast.

Dynamic Iris, honestly I'm not sold on. My 9400 had it and it was always a second behind the complete black which a screen shows which kind of sucks.

Obviously the best thing to do is black-out the entire room and put some nice felt on the by the PJ screen.

If I can find a new house to buy, this would be first on my priority list.

Caporegime
Nothing to do with fanboyism.

The technologies are better for different things.

If I was going to get a projector and I likley will at some point. I'd still have an OLED in the same room. I'd set the projector up so it comes down over the wall mounted oled.

You cannot say it's people clinging on to what they know or are used to.

OLED is far superior in every way bar size.

And that is a major issue because bigger is better. It's why in a cinema you have a 200 foot screen for all of you to view versus a 21 inch screen up close.

Both of them are better at different jobs.

I own no less than 15 pairs of headphones and earphones.

Why?

Because they are all good at different jobs.

AKG q701 - gaming and music
Sennheisers HD 600 - music and vocals
Sennheiser HD 700 - gaming
Dt770 - for use when someone else is in the same room or lots of background noise
Xm3 - for use on planes because of the noise cancelling
In ears - used for public transport
Wireless in ears - used for the gym but poorer sound quality when compared to wired in ears.

You cannot use akg 701's on a plane or on public transport. We'll you could just that you would get a lot of people complaining or giving you looks and you would be able to hear all the crap in the background.

OLED and a projector for me. To pick just one is compromising.

I'd use the oled for day to day stuff like watching the news, gaming, etc.

I'd use the projector for special occasions and football and movies.

I dont know which I'd watch a TV series on I'd have to have both to see what suited it best.

If anything the people that only have projectors saying they are great at everything they are the fan boys who can't take any criticism.

Caporegime
ALR screens are amazing they massively improve black level and contrast. Not up to to the level of OLED but enough to make the image stunning. If you want to game there are 4k, HDR options at 240Hz at good prices. Not really sure what is wrong with 240 refresh rates. Projectors and screens have really moved on in recent years and they are getting even better know that laser is getting more affordable so instant on and off and no lamps to replace and no loss of brightness over time.

So what are these projectors and what is a good price?

Ill be honest ill have a budget of £3k max to get both an OLED and a projector.

I'd also spend most of the money on the screen and the oled. With a cheap projector which I would likley upgrade in time.

Is that possible?

I'd also wait for the 65 inch OLEDs to be around the £1500 mark come January / February.

Leaving me with £1500 for a projector screen and projector. So what does that get me?

Soldato

I'd also spend most of the money on the screen and the oled. With a cheap projector which I would likley upgrade in time.

Is that possible?

I'd also wait for the 65 inch OLEDs to be around the £1500 mark come January / February.

Leaving me with £1500 for a projector screen and projector. So what does that get me?
I have just budgeted £2.5k for a PJ and screen then another £1.5k for the receiver and speakers, you should be looking at £1.5k minimum for the PJ

Soldato

Is that possible?

As I don't suffer from rainbows I only really know about DLP's, I haven't been keeping track of the best LED projectors. There is the Optima UHD30 £1000 that makes a good gaming projector at 4k, HDR and 240hz but its only rec.709 so looks good but isn't the best choice for home theatre. If you are after a budget projector Optoma HD143X for around £450. Next comes the BenQ W2700 which seems to be the best all around at the moment for the price range. A great home theatre projector going beyond rec-709 into DCI-P3 colour space £1295

Optoma UHD65 is even higher end but I am not sure its worth it anymore. It used to be over £1000 cheaper then the laser version. Now there is only a £200 difference on Amazon unless you can find a UHD65 for way cheaper I would pick the UHZ65.

My shortlist if upgrading today would be BenQ W2700 or UHZ65. Personally I am waiting for the UHZ65 to come up for sale every so often it drops below £3000

For screens I like http://www.seymourav.com/screens.php but the best choice largely comes down to personal preference and room layout. I would order or ask for some free samples. What I did was email the various screen companies asking for free samples and used masking tape on the wall to test them all out. Personally I would never go to a white screen again. The black/silver/gray screens really do boost black levels and brightness and they look better then the projector is switched off. The black screens are the most impressive but I didn't like the limited viewing angles 36°. In then end I used Matinee Silver Seymourav 40° viewing angle though depending on layout that might not be enough for you?

Soldato
OP

Is that possible?

At £3k, in all honesty your budget is too small for a top tier projector experience which will have black levels close to an OLED.

ALR screen runs about £1k-£2k dependant on size.
Projector wise, you can look at the Epson 9400 (which still has compromises on black level) for £2.5k new or the JVC X7900 for £3000 second hand. If you want true native 4K projection with good black levels, you're looking at the JVC NX5, NX7 which are £6.5k and £8.5k respectively.

If you are prepared to sacrifice black levels and still want 4K, you can try a DLP projector from BenQ or Optoma.

If you are prepared to go for 1080p projection, then second hand options open up dramatically on the second hand market. You can grab a bargain like the Sony HW40ES or JVC X3 for £500 and see if you like projection. If you do, then sell it on and pay a lot more for a DLP for example.

Projection is amazing, but its not cheap if you want 4K and deep blacks (Sadly).

However, if you don't care for black levels being the blackest possible, then DLPs are very good value and incredibly sharp with the best 3D motion and crosstalk performance of the bunch. (I am strongly thinking of buying one).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nothing to do with fanboyism.

The technologies are better for different things.

If I was going to get a projector and I likley will at some point. I'd still have an OLED in the same room. I'd set the projector up so it comes down over the wall mounted oled.

You cannot say it's people clinging on to what they know or are used to.

OLED is far superior in every way bar size.

And that is a major issue because bigger is better. It's why in a cinema you have a 200 foot screen for all of you to view versus a 21 inch screen up close.

Both of them are better at different jobs.

I own no less than 15 pairs of headphones and earphones.

Why?

Because they are all good at different jobs.

AKG q701 - gaming and music
Sennheisers HD 600 - music and vocals
Sennheiser HD 700 - gaming
Dt770 - for use when someone else is in the same room or lots of background noise
Xm3 - for use on planes because of the noise cancelling
In ears - used for public transport
Wireless in ears - used for the gym but poorer sound quality when compared to wired in ears.

You cannot use akg 701's on a plane or on public transport. We'll you could just that you would get a lot of people complaining or giving you looks and you would be able to hear all the crap in the background.

OLED and a projector for me. To pick just one is compromising.

I'd use the oled for day to day stuff like watching the news, gaming, etc.

I'd use the projector for special occasions and football and movies.

I dont know which I'd watch a TV series on I'd have to have both to see what suited it best.

If anything the people that only have projectors saying they are great at everything they are the fan boys who can't take any criticism.

When I had an Epson 9400 and a 65'' OLED, I used the projector for virtually everything.

Sports, films, video games all felt substantially more epic on a 100'' screen rather than a 65'' one. For casual viewing, it was really nice as everyone had a good view of the screen as its so massive.

With the 77'' OLED, I do find myself preferring gaming on that though because video games benefit hugely from contrast and the colour black... But I've sadly never had in my room a top tier projector like the NX5 or NX7 which would have black levels and a contrast which could shine.

I much preferred watching the Sopranos on the projector. Felt lovely. You can appreciate little details so much better than on a small, cramped screen.

I remember the Lion King 4K HDR on the Epson was incredible because I could see the individual hairs on Simba in the starting sequence. On a TV, everything just looks sharper, but on a projection due to the incredible size, you don't think 'wow this is sharp', you think 'wow I can see this specific detail'.

Another very incredible part of the Epson was 3D. Wow.

I've heard DLPs are better for 3D so I have been edging towards trying to find a cheap, very bright 3D DLP projector to tide me over.

Also, if you're only going to use a projector for special occasions, I think it will be hard to justify dedicating a big portion of your budget to a projector and screen if the TV gets more use.

Caporegime
When I had an Epson 9400 and a 65'' OLED, I used the projector for virtually everything.

Sports, films, video games all felt substantially more epic on a 100'' screen rather than a 65'' one. For casual viewing, it was really nice as everyone had a good view of the screen as its so massive.

With the 77'' OLED, I do find myself preferring gaming on that though because video games benefit hugely from contrast and the colour black... But I've sadly never had in my room a top tier projector like the NX5 or NX7 which would have black levels and a contrast which could shine.

I much preferred watching the Sopranos on the projector. Felt lovely. You can appreciate little details so much better than on a small, cramped screen.

I remember the Lion King 4K HDR on the Epson was incredible because I could see the individual hairs on Simba in the starting sequence. On a TV, everything just looks sharper, but on a projection due to the incredible size, you don't think 'wow this is sharp', you think 'wow I can see this specific detail'.

Another very incredible part of the Epson was 3D. Wow.

I've heard DLPs are better for 3D so I have been edging towards trying to find a cheap, very bright 3D DLP projector to tide me over.

Also, if you're only going to use a projector for special occasions, I think it will be hard to justify dedicating a big portion of your budget to a projector and screen if the TV gets more use.

Also doesn't your room have to be pretty much pitch black for using the projector?

Or light extremely controlled or restricted?

I think I'll make my own screen.

Get a massive piece of mdf. Prime it then mix up some special projector paint and I'll then create some hooks so I can hang it then also a string pulley to lift it up into the ceiling and have something nice on the other side so it becomes a feature within the room.

Ill likely pick up a top end second hand 1080p projector to begin with. Once 4k matures and prices are much better I'll upgrade.

However there is no way I could watch everything on a projector in a pitch black room all the time.

Soldato
Also doesn't your room have to be pretty much pitch black for using the projector?

Or light extremely controlled or restricted?

I think I'll make my own screen.

Get a massive piece of mdf. Prime it then mix up some special projector paint and I'll then create some hooks so I can hang it then also a string pulley to lift it up into the ceiling and have something nice on the other side so it becomes a feature within the room.

Ill likely pick up a top end second hand 1080p projector to begin with. Once 4k matures and prices are much better I'll upgrade.

However there is no way I could watch everything on a projector in a pitch black room all the time.
Depends on the screen with ALR you can have some lights on. Projector paint works surprising well. I use this at work http://www.pourascreen.org.uk/ though it does reduce brightness levels its surprising effective for the cost.

Back
Top Bottom