Silly interior painting question

Associate
Hi all,

Probably a stupid question from me but after some advice.

My wife and I are looking to paint some of the interior walls in our first home and we have no experience! Our house is a new build and about 5 years old, it’s never been painted beyond how we received it with the standard magnolia/almond colour.

So, my question is: do I need to primer before top coating or am I fine to paint straight onto what is already there? I had presumed it would be ok to just go for it but thought it was best to seek some advice before just diving in and getting it wrong!

Thanks in advance!

Associate
Just go straight on with your paint. Should only need a couple of coats as it's great neutral colour that wont show through.
It's a good idea to clean the walls with sugar soap, but I never bother unless they're really grubby, like in a kitchen.

Soldato
Buy decent tools, don't cheap out on brushes or rollers, either spend money and take care of the tools or waste money on cheap gear that will always leave you wanting to do it again! (Voice of experience BTW).

Prepare, prepare, prepare. The prep is key to a good finish.

If you are re coating the woodwork and radiators the please use the correct paint type and always make sure you rub down with sand paper first and wipe/wash down before painting. Always use a kettle or paint tray never paint directly from a tin as all you will do is add debris to the tin.

Watch some YouTube videos on how to decorate,. There is a very specific nack to cutting in around the edges of a room that can either come naturally or be learnt.

My order of doing things,

Sand wood work, and wash down.
Paint ceiling and lip down the wall a half inch or so.
Paint wood work first coat or undercoat/primer of needed.
Shake paint tins, I store my paint upside down so.you don't get a skin/film on the top but it's always a good idea to thoroughly shake the paint tin making sure the lid is firmly attached. (I don't stir as it can add debris to the can).
Paint walls, usually 2 coats depending on colours.
Topcoat the woodwork.

My brother is a professional painter and decorator for some stately homes out this way, I've worked with him several times and we work to the same methods..

Associate
OP
Buy decent tools, don't cheap out on brushes or rollers, either spend money and take care of the tools or waste money on cheap gear that will always leave you wanting to do it again! (Voice of experience BTW).

Prepare, prepare, prepare. The prep is key to a good finish.

If you are re coating the woodwork and radiators the please use the correct paint type and always make sure you rub down with sand paper first and wipe/wash down before painting. Always use a kettle or paint tray never paint directly from a tin as all you will do is add debris to the tin.

Watch some YouTube videos on how to decorate,. There is a very specific nack to cutting in around the edges of a room that can either come naturally or be learnt.

My order of doing things,

Sand wood work, and wash down.
Paint ceiling and lip down the wall a half inch or so.
Paint wood work first coat or undercoat/primer of needed.
Shake paint tins, I store my paint upside down so.you don't get a skin/film on the top but it's always a good idea to thoroughly shake the paint tin making sure the lid is firmly attached. (I don't stir as it can add debris to the can).
Paint walls, usually 2 coats depending on colours.
Topcoat the woodwork.

My brother is a professional painter and decorator for some stately homes out this way, I've worked with him several times and we work to the same methods..

Thanks very much, that’s all really helpful. We’re pretty well prepared I think! got a set of decent brushes and rollers along with trays. Also got painters tape and stuff to cover the radiators etc
We’re not planning to do ceilings or woodwork except if it needs touching up but that’s great to know

Back
Top Bottom