NR200 Owner's Thread

Associate
Just got my Final Case feet to try out delivered, start doing all the mods & changing around later on today

I try out different Case Revision builds with The Arctic 240mm AIO
Vertical GPU mounting with a modded/made Vented window
Also, be trying out the Silverstone SX700 PSU with my Short cable kit
& other things to try

Associate
Relentless, you made my day when taking the Shroud/fans off the Vega 56 :D
Them fans run with the GPU temp
If you were to tape P12s to the heatsink of the 56 It will look very strange & stand out &
also, the temps will improve some more but no auto control over the fans with GPU temp changes is bad.
you would have to mod somehow to the fan port of the GPU, a lot to take into consideration.

Yes best to save for a new GPU, not sure if you want to wait on for the new line up of GPUs
I went for an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super & did not wait, this does me for max gaming full settings at 1920 x 1080p/1440p/ 144hz

Soldato
@Darren_uk the fan adaptor that fits the GPU comes in the mobo box system fan2 is the same connection and they provide an adaptor in the box so I could try the fans on the mobo or the GPU, both connections presented the same result

Like @PinkFloyd says this is a thing for the Ncase M1 but doesn't quite work so well in the nr200 due the distance difference

Associate
Indeed on certain GPUs with a heatsink that can take 120mm fans :)
2060 super & 5700 much less in watts also
Vega 56 is a power-hungry card almost 300watts 2 x 8 Pin "Hot Stuff"

Well always can experiment ;)
Connect the fan adaptor with a 2-way fan splitter if needed to the GPU & try them fixed on the 56 @Relentless81

Be great to see, All fun;)
Not sure on the Wire color pin layout & GPU port Max fan power,
Also, the 56 may have bios set just for them Stock GPU fans
to work with the temp of the card

Last edited:
Associate
you could use 10cm/12cm Cable twist ties through the fan screw holes & around the GPU Heatsink maybe, just have to try out different ways.
Well worth it just to see the outcome

Associate
This is news to me, but I guess logical. Mounting the radiator of an AIO at the bottom of this case (or any other case) is a bad idea, at least according to Gamers Nexus, who specifically reference the NR200;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

May explain why the AIO mounted in my Dan A4 cools so poorly, and one core runs 15c hotter than the others, even at idle.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is news to me, but I guess logical. Mounting the radiator of an AIO at the bottom of this case (or any other case) is a bad idea, at least according to Gamers Nexus, who specifically reference the NR200;

May explain why the AIO mounted in my Dan A4 cools so poorly, and one core runs 15c hotter than the others, even at idle.

Just finished watching that. Long video, so brief summary:

The problem stems from the pump/block being the highest point in the loop. Any air in the loop rises and congregates in the pump/block. This would be a problem whether using a regular AIO, modular AIO, or a full custom loop; air will always rise to the highest point, which you don't want to be your pump or block(s).

If you're using a regular AIO and mounting the radiator at the bottom (per NR200P with glass side), the pump/block will be the highest point in the loop. Air will congregate in the pump/block, which could have anything from a marginal performance effect (if there's little air in the loop) to a significant one (where there's a lot of air in the loop and the pump is running dry). This can also put a lot of strain on the pump, as many designs aren't intended to run dry (Asetek being a named exception). Even where the AIO has little air, it will run louder. And over time, fluid will evaporate from the loop, causing the above problems to get progressively worse.

One possible solution would be to use a modular AIO and add a 92mm rad on the rear panel. As long as the tubes exit from the bottom of the radiator, the top of that rad will be the top of the loop.

Not hugely relevant to NR200, but if you're mounting a regular AIO radiator at the front of the case, make sure the tubes exit from the bottom. This is less a performance issue, and more a noise one. Also make sure the other end of the radiator is the highest point in the loop (this is where you want air to gather).

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished watching that. Long video, so brief summary:

The problem stems from the pump/block being the highest point in the loop. This would be a problem whether using a regular AIO, modular AIO, or a full custom loop. There's nothing wrong with mounting a radiator at the bottom. But air needs somewhere else to go besides the pump and/or block(s). With a modular AIO or custom loop, the solution is pretty simple; add a 92mm radiator to the rear panel (tubes exiting at the bottom). Air will now collect at the top of this radiator.

With a regular AIO, there is no solution. If mounting the radiator at the bottom, it's best to pick one with a pump which can be run dry (Asetek was specifically referenced) to avoid killing the pump. The AIO will likely run louder, and performance will be lower, and it may still breat down as internal temperatures rise and plastic begins to warp. But it's better than running an AIO with a pump that needs to be under liquid.

Not hugely relevant to NR200, but if you're mounting a regular AIO radiator at the front of the case, make sure the tubes exit from the bottom. This is less a performance issue, and more a noise one. Also make sure the other end of the radiator is the highest point in the loop (this is where you want air to gather).
Good summary, though any pump running dry will result in dramatically poorer cooling, than one pumping liquid, unfortunately. I think this is the case in my Dan (running partially dry, hence the core differential - on a blender run, 3 cores sit at 75-80c, 1 core always thermal throttles), but can't check until tomorrow. That is with an Asetek 645, 92mm AIO, radiator mounted in the bottom of the DAN, only place it can go.

Soldato
OP
Was just about to post that video in here. There's no way of getting a radiator at the top of this case is there?

Not with the stock config. It might be possible with some extensive modding.

TBH I think there's a bit of shock factor going on with this video. If things were as bad as their demo unit suggests, CPU temperatures would be awful and the chip would be throttling like crazy. Yet this isn't replicated in benchmarks. I suspect the truth of it is their demo loop had a lot more air in it than in a sealed AIO.

One simple resolution would be to use an AIO model where the pump is on the radiator. That way the pump will be fine and at worst you will see a ver, very slow rise in temperatures over years, as the coolant evaporates.

Associate
Not with the stock config. It might be possible with some extensive modding.

TBH I think there's a bit of shock factor going on with this video. If things were as bad as their demo unit suggests, CPU temperatures would be awful and the chip would be throttling like crazy. Yet this isn't replicated in benchmarks. I suspect the truth of it is their demo loop had a lot more air in it than in a sealed AIO.

One simple resolution would be to use an AIO model where the pump is on the radiator. That way the pump will be fine and at worst you will see a ver, very slow rise in temperatures over years, as the coolant evaporates.

They're not many models in that style in 240/280mm, I've only found the Enermax LiqFusion and the Raijintek Orcus with the pump deported on the pipes and both seems to have a fillport.

Any others models ?

Last edited:
Associate

Yep bad idea, Heres the way I will be modding mine

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33854901/

Under the bottom panel so the tubes in the optimal position

There are ways of modding on the top panel but would look nasty
also, only work on some AIO & modding would be needed.

Last edited:
Associate
The video is tricky though, as that makes using an AIO in the NR200 bad no matter how you position it. Even on the side mount it wouldn't be great, though better than having radiator at the bottom.

Soldato
OP
The video is tricky though, as that makes using an AIO in the NR200 bad no matter how you position it. Even on the side mount it wouldn't be great, though better than having radiator at the bottom.

Side mount should be fine. The edge of the radiator will be higher than the pump/block. Might just have a slightly reduced cooling capacity from the rad, as the top tube inside the radiator will be less full than in other orientations.

Back
Top Bottom