What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Nightingale. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4068576/

I can't say it shocked me more than any other violence seen in a majority of films, well worth seeing, though. Well acted, too.

I found it did go on a bit too long, however.

I'll be honest, the rape scenes didn't bother me so much, i'm kind of numbed to that kind of violence in movies as it's so commonplace. However the baby murder totally broke me and left me in pieces to the point, as mentioned a few days ago, i switched it off.

I think this is purely due to having a similarly aged child and i'm fairly sure had I watched before my child was born, it would have had a lessened effect.

Caporegime
I'll be honest, the rape scenes didn't bother me so much, i'm kind of numbed to that kind of violence in movies as it's so commonplace. However the baby murder totally broke me and left me in pieces to the point, as mentioned a few days ago, i switched it off.

I think this is purely due to having a similarly aged child and i'm fairly sure had I watched before my child was born, it would have had a lessened effect.

That's totally understandable. :)

----------

Tried watching District 9 last night but switched it off after a while, just couldn't get into it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Paddington - 6½/10

Not my usual speed... but RottenTomatos rated the second as the best sequel ever... so to see that, I have to see the first, right? If you can accept that people accept a talking bear, it's a reasonably fun movie. Obviously rather family orientated. Will watch the sequel tomorrow :)

The Old Guard - 6½/10

I thought it was a reasonable action movie, albeit a little cheesy at times. Kind of a modern day Highlander. Clearly there will be a sequel, which I will watch too. Reasonable concept and quite good action, although I thought we might get a pointer on how... and why... unless I missed that?

Soldato
The Negotiator.

Samuel L and Kevin Spacey acting their *** off in a tense situation.

Utterly Brilliant, my kind of film. Dragged on a little, but you have to apricate it needed to be played out to the final act. Another 20 year old something film on a first time viewing.

Man of Honour
Wishmaster (1997)

If you’re after a goofy and fun horror then I can definitely recommend this one. Very liberal with excellent B-movie practical special effects and camp gore, which together with its lighthearted / playful tone and knowingly goofy dialogue make this a two thumbs up recommendation to lovers of B-movies / junk horror.

Loved it! 10/10 for that sort of movie :D

Soldato
With all the talk on here, I had to watch 'Training Day' again. Very good movie. With almost any movie, I'm usually very aware of how long I've been watching and how long is left. I couldn't believe how quickly I was over an hour in. One of the benefits to having a crap memory, it was kinda like watching it the first time. In some ways it seemed a little more simple a plot than I expected, but actually, it was probably just about right. Not overly complex, but enough to it. 8/10.

Soldato
Children Of Men - I thought I'd get the wife (of 12 years my younger) to watch some older movies. In fact I don't actually think I'd watched this in it's entirety and we were both enjoying this movie. A dark, gritty, bleak future and so interesting they talked about a flu pandemic wiping out a lot of people too. 7/10

Permabanned
liked it on first watch...feminism and sjw's ruined it on the 2nd watch as i'm full of hate for that crowd and that's how I felt the hmmmm

used to love all the boyz n the hood and the like movies..BLM has soured it all for me now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
They are both in my top 10 of rewatchable great films.
Give the other a try. I'd be interested in another perspective of it.

I only just got a chance to read up on The Counsellor and based on the wiki, I'm not even going to bother seeking it out as I'm sure it is truly terrible as you've said, though I will watch it if I see it for free on Prime or on Netflix. The only thing I can offer in mitigation was that Ridley's brother Tony Scott committed suicide during filming of it by jumping off the Gold Gate Bridge and they halted filming so he could grieve.

I remember when that happened and it depressed me a bit as I liked Top Gun as a kid a few of his other action movies, I always wondered why he did it. Can't help think there may have been some undisclosed me too some involved. Clearly it messed up Ridley Scott a lot as well during that movie, though it's no excuse. I think Cameron Diaz is a truly terrible dramatic actress, though a fair comedic one, that even Scorsese couldn't drag a non laughable performance out of in her Gangs of New York, so I would be prejudiced against The Counsellor from day one as well, Ridley Scott or not.

But I do ultimately agree with your point, he's made enough stinkers that to criticise other directors has a hint of hypocrisy at least as late as 2017 with his best years past him.

As for his recent films, I've read the novel of American Gangster so I might check that one out, but not likely the others. I think Scott is a director that needs a great source material to produce his best work, with the right cast, similar to how Scorsese does.

Back
Top Bottom