Anyone had their genome sequenced?

Caporegime
Whats the point?

It tells you what stuff you should possibly get better at to reduce risks of certain things.

Also tells you what medication is better for certain things and if you require higher doses to work as well.

Why not read the review posted above?

Also tells you if you have genetic markers which could be an issue for you or your kids.

Caporegime
It tells you what stuff you should possibly get better at to reduce risks of certain things.

Also tells you what medication is better for certain things and if you require higher doses to work as well.

Why not read the review posted above?

Meh, i already know i'm a certainty for either dementia or a heart attack..or both, why muddy the waters with more possibilities? :p

Associate
I work in the industry and genomics seems to be a goldmine, a lot of labs use the newer method called NGS, or next generation sequencing, a much more cost effective solution for bulk samples and less instrument times to process. They make a heck of a lot more money out of it and I find the science behind it very cool.

Soldato
Do all the online tests also reveal genes that might have life changing outcomes ... do you want to know ?
the infamous Braca, or, 'dormant' genes for which you might then revise plans of having children

Soldato
Whats the point?

I would echo these sentiments.

@tres - how exactly does your data come back to you? Do you get the full dataset from the sequencing run back, or just their analysis of it? If it’s the former, how are you going to analyse it? The latter - how are you interpreting their analysis? Genomics is very rarely totally black and white, especially in terms of cancer genes. Lots of unknowns still to be discovered.

Those who are paranoid are very right to be, especially if you’re going through a private company. Read the terms very carefully.

Caporegime
One thing it can be useful for is huntington's, as the number of repeats in the gene has a tendancy to increase with each generation you could find out you had an intermediate number of repeats and will not develop the disease but it would have an inplication for having kids where the number of repeats would increase and they would develop huntington's. IVF could then be used to have children that do not inherit that locus.

Associate
Yeah I try to sequence them. Normally have the little guy with the fishing rod, sat next to the one with the pitch fork, followed by the one holding the 'Welcome to the garden' sign, and finally the little fella sitting on a little log. I'm quite fussy about their order around the pond.

Oh genome...right...in that case then no.

Soldato
OP
I would echo these sentiments.

@tres - how exactly does your data come back to you? Do you get the full dataset from the sequencing run back, or just their analysis of it? If it’s the former, how are you going to analyse it? The latter - how are you interpreting their analysis? Genomics is very rarely totally black and white, especially in terms of cancer genes. Lots of unknowns still to be discovered.

Those who are paranoid are very right to be, especially if you’re going through a private company. Read the terms very carefully.

Pure curiosity. You get the raw dataset, about 150Gb in size, as well as their analysis. It would be interesting to see the medical report, as I work in healthcare, but I've always had a fascination at just being able to see my genetic code. Perhaps that's the doctor & programming geek in me?

And yes, I wouldn't consider using a company that didn't have a very clear statement about privacy of your data. Some allow anonymous demographics.

Associate
I wouldn't mind having it done, would be really interesting to find out about myself. I can see this in the future being a forced requirement if you want any life insurance as they can then charge depending on how risky you may be.

Soldato
Pure curiosity. You get the raw dataset, about 150Gb in size, as well as their analysis. It would be interesting to see the medical report, as I work in healthcare, but I've always had a fascination at just being able to see my genetic code. Perhaps that's the doctor & programming geek in me?

And yes, I wouldn't consider using a company that didn't have a very clear statement about privacy of your data. Some allow anonymous demographics.

It certainly is cool, but the ethics of it all is really interesting. Not sure I would want to know. Not sure even if I had my whole genome sequenced that I’d really “know” either. Good that the full dataset comes to you, as the field of bioinformatics is continuously evolving, allowing future re-analysis.

Even with anonymous demographics - how anonymous is your whole genome, being unique to only you? It’s the definition of identifiable personal information!

Soldato
There is a kit on amazon for sale for £100 until 10pm today.

Doesn't seem as in depth but cheap enough to give a go, plus the whole where your genes are from thing.

As far as privacy go, I'm already on the bone marrow registry with the blood donation people so suppose my data is already potentially out there.

Caporegime
Doesn't seem as in depth but cheap enough to give a go, plus the whole where your genes are from thing.

As far as privacy go, I'm already on the bone marrow registry with the blood donation people so suppose my data is already potentially out there.

Yeah obviously the more you pay the better the report is but £100 is likely affordable for most.

Soldato
Doesn't seem as in-depth but cheap enough to give a go, plus the whole where your genes are from thing.

I wouldn’t put too much faith in the ‘where your genes are from’ thing.

As long as you treat it as a curiosity and not gospel, it’s fine, but these services have some significant flaws when it comes to genealogy.

The medical side of it is more valuable, although it still works in probabilities, not absolutes.

Back
Top Bottom