Settle a debate.

Associate
Im not to clued up on how insurance works so me and the wife are trying to sort something out.

My Wife is the registered owner of 2 cars. I will call them A & B, she is only insured on Car B. If I get myself insured as the main driver on Car A , when i’m not using it and it is parked in on the street will it be insured even though I am not the registered keeper, Or is it only insured when I am driving it.

Soldato
The VERY large majority of insurers will require you to be the registered keeper otherwise your policy may not be valid if you tell them you are when you aren't. It's one of the first questions they ask.

Soldato
The VERY large majority of insurers will require you to be the registered keeper otherwise your policy may not be valid if you tell them you are when you aren't. It's one of the first questions they ask.
Really? It’s quite common if you lease a vehicle not to be, I think most of our fleet at work we don’t get the V5 until the first year is over and tax is due.

Soldato
Really? It’s quite common if you lease a vehicle not to be, I think most of our fleet at work we don’t get the V5 until the first year is over and tax is due.

Yup, I have used many insurers in the past and had to swap between my friends/family for registered keeper depending who was going to be the main driver on the insurance policy.

Leases are different and insurers need to be informed of that arrangement - though that's their next question after "Are you the registered owner and keeper of the vehicle"

What effect does this have on vehicle insurance?
Before you get a quote for vehicle insurance, you will need to tell the insurance company who the owner and Registered Keeper of the vehicle is.

As we’ve already mentioned, you aren’t the Registered Keeper of the car. If it’s on Contract Hire or an Operating Lease, you don’t legally own the vehicle, you are renting it. This will mean that you don’t have the financial investment the Finance House does in the vehicle. This also means that insurance companies will likely see you as a higher risk when it comes to taking care of the vehicle.

Of course, we know you will take care of it, but this does mean that there is a possibility your insurance premium might be higher. If you would like to find out more information about insurance, we have written a detailed article which outlines the ins and outs of insurance for a lease car.

Soldato

I refused to be the registered keeper of our family Kia Sportage, but the insurance is in my name. Absolutely no problem at all, my wife who is the named driver is the registered keeper.

If the car is insured on a fully comprehensive policy, it will be insured if it’s damaged or stolen when parked.

GeX

GeX

Soldato

Never had an issue with the policy holder not being the registered keeper. We have one car and my wife and I alternate who is the policy holder; so we both maintain NCB. Done this for years and never had an insurer bat an eyelid.

Back
Top Bottom