Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Associate
5k for the Edition 30. Wheels need a refurb which is going to set you back a few hundred quid. If you can get it a little cheaper then great as it'll mean you can get a remap for roughly the same money as advertised.

8k for the Pirelli edition if you really wanted one. Seems a bit much for a Mk5 but unsure on the limited edition adding to the price? Seems a very good example considering the body condition and interior condition. Stage 2 remap will be a welcome power increase too.

Thanks for this.

Soldato
Been looking at getting a Golf GTD Estate, was originally looking at Octavia VRS’s but noticed you get more in a Golf - but is it me or does the prices seem silly high?

£16k for a 66 plate??

Example:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202002197508130?advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&year-from=2016&postcode=S663XR&body-type=Estate&model=GOLF&sort=distance&page=1&aggregatedTrim=GTD&make=VOLKSWAGEN&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

They are silly high. Estates such as the focus st tdci/Octi vrs tdi etc have gone up by 2-3k during Covid.

Imo, not worth it.

Soldato
They are silly high. Estates such as the focus st tdci/Octi vrs tdi etc have gone up by 2-3k during Covid.

Imo, not worth it.

If I hadn't piled a few miles onto my vRS, I could probably shift it now for about £2k less than what I paid for it 2 years ago when it was 12 months old, values have gone mad recently.

More importantly though, everything i'd want to replace it with has done similar, so no real advantage when it comes to cost to change

Associate
Just seen this thread.

Owned both a GTD then a GTI, thought about an R but made the jump to a BMW M135i.

For all the reputation VW get, both mines had rattles that would send you round the bend.

And if your looking for outright handling, a Focus ST would run rings around a GTi. Still very good cars but not quite the ownership experience I always thought it would be.

Soldato
My GTI is coming up to the end of the warranty - who are people using for on going cover? I hear that if anything goes wrong with the gearbox (DSG) I'll need to remortgage if I was to pay for it myself, so wanting to have peace of mind, if thats possible?

Soldato
My GTI is coming up to the end of the warranty - who are people using for on going cover? I hear that if anything goes wrong with the gearbox (DSG) I'll need to remortgage if I was to pay for it myself, so wanting to have peace of mind, if thats possible?

The official VW extended warranty is the only one worth paying for. They're usually quite good value for money.

Has anyone driven a MK8 Golf yet? Curious if you were able to spot any chassis improvements over the MK7.

Soldato
Is it 3 years old? I would have thought the dsg might fail at high miles or if it's been remapped.
It will be by the end of the year. No remap but I had some pretty high value work done on my previous car (Citroen under warranty), so don't even want to think of the cost of this has any issues.

Soldato
It will be by the end of the year. No remap but I had some pretty high value work done on my previous car (Citroen under warranty), so don't even want to think of the cost of this has any issues.

I'm on my 3rd car with DSG, no failures so far. I did need an engine swap on one of cars and power steering pump and new water pump on the other. I was always paranoid about the gear box.

Associate
Picked up my '18 R wagon on Thursday. Coming from a 56 plate Octavia vRS it feels like I've changed centuries with the 7.5 active info etc! Still in the honeymoon period but took it down some really challenging roads last night and got an insight into the limitations of the suspension/chassis. Overall though I think it'll serve me well and it has put a smile on my face

Associate
Any recommendations for a new head unit in a mk6 GTI for £200ish?

Anyone have the following, what are the pros and cons?

Rcd 330
Eonon / any other android

V_R

V_R

Soldato
What would you say are the best/must have options to look for on a Mk7 GTI? I'm thinking Performance pack, DCC, Dynaudio and wheels?

Anything else worth holding out for? The Nav pro's main draw is just the bigger screen right? I'd be using Android Auto if it makes any difference?

Associate
Mine is the MK7.5 and the standard audio is pretty good and does Android auto. Not many people will have specced the DCC as it was quite pricey.
I'd try to stretch to getting a mk 7.5 as it's got the stereo as standard and the digital dash.

Soldato
The new Golf R is pricey - from £39.2k :eek:
That’s £1.5k more than a BMW 135, about £800 more than an Audi S3 and £2k above the Mercedes A35. VW aiming high with this one.

Back
Top Bottom