Can anyone recommend me a budget 2.1 sound system?

Caporegime
Hi,

I'm looking for a 2.1 system so I can have some decent bass and better quality audio than the TV speakers, what sort of price am I looking at for an entry level system?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
The Yamaha AV receiver and Wharfedale speaker combo is a good choice, but I think you'll struggle to find a new Yamaha AV receiver or any of the other major brands for £150.

Man of Honour
Entry-level standalone Yam is now the HTR-2071 or something at around £280.

Complete 5.1 kit with a lower-spec AVR is the YHT-1840 @ £379 all-in.

Nothing from the other brands to compete. Onkyo and Pioneer both concentrating on higher-end models. I guess the budget market that would have bought £150-£200 AVRs is happy enough with a soundbar.

Caporegime
OP
Perhaps I should have clarified. When I say budget, I'm not looking for a setup with an external amplifier as I don't really have that much space, I'm just looking for stereo speakers that perform better than my TV and sub woofer to give some good bass.

Soldato
But you cant hook up speakers to a TV without an av reciever. Unless you go for something like a soundbar which will have basic signal processing built in.

Well, technically he could use some amplified speakers providing the TV has 3.5mm/RCA outputs. Not sure many powered speakers will have a crossover and sub output though.

Caporegime
OP
But you cant hook up speakers to a TV without an av reciever. Unless you go for something like a soundbar which will have basic signal processing built in.

I just remember connecting my pc to a powered subwoofer via a 3.5mm connector which then had phono connectors to the left and right speakers, was a long time ago though!

Caporegime
Perhaps I should have clarified. When I say budget, I'm not looking for a setup with an external amplifier as I don't really have that much space, I'm just looking for stereo speakers that perform better than my TV and sub woofer to give some good bass.

I just got a soundbar and sub for £40, 2nd hand. It's nowhere near want I want, but for £40 it blows my TV speakers away.

Soldato
Going on your comments I'd probably just go for a soundbar then. Will be a massive difference still over the inbuilt TV speakers, even if a super cheap one. If you also have sky could pick a Sky soundbox up cheap off of Ebay.

Bose own website have a refurbished solo 5 on for £139.95 if you want a smaller sized one.

Back
Top Bottom