BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Not exactly a kosher question I know but I'd like to try and get out of my BT contract early for free and looking for any help. The main reason being at times the pings are just all over the place. I'll have 1 day of ok pings and then have 2 hour+ spells of 250+ pings making watching live streams impossible. It seems BT only care about what speed you get and things like ping don't seem to matter at all.

Second reason is Virgin Media finally laying cables here and I'd like to go for atleast the M500 package. Is a complaint into say Ofcom stating the issues with ping making the internet borderline unusable at times grounds for them to put pressure on BT to get me out of contract?

Soldato
Had BT's FTTP 900mb service installed yesterday morning at 8am. Since then I've gotten nowhere near their advertised speeds, wired I'm getting 100Mbps download and wireless is exact same as I got on the previous non-FTTP service of 56Mbps. So I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day today with no luck, but on inspection of the optical cable at the entry of the property to the internal box I saw this (pic below)
Where he stapled the cable to the top of my skirting there is one staple right through the dead centre on part of the cable. Now would this be affecting my speeds or is it a case of the optical cable either works or it doesn't? I'm not too familiar with the new tech yet so thought I would ask on here before speaking to BT tomorrow. Cheers!

That's some shoddy work. Damaged your skirting as well.
Obviously using different cables in places all mine are black, ran the internal one myself under the floorboards while they were up the pole took all of 5 mins to run it the length of the house.

They had me test the speed on my pc before they left as well.

Associate
That's some shoddy work. Damaged your skirting as well.
Obviously using different cables in places all mine are black, ran the internal one myself under the floorboards while they were up the pole took all of 5 mins to run it the length of the house.

They had me test the speed on my pc before they left as well.
Looks the same across all my skirting, god knows why he didn't use normal clips, it's a bit of a mess all round to be honest. Another thing that makes me laugh is they tell you to download their app to get the best out of your 900mb broadband, but after the wireless speed test in the app it tells you to use the network cable supplied with the router to run a hard-wired test with.... from your mobile?? Anyway, hard-wired I'm still only getting 100mb so something is definitely wrong, wether its that staple through the cable affecting things guess I'll never know unless they swap it out for me.

Soldato
Not exactly a kosher question I know but I'd like to try and get out of my BT contract early for free and looking for any help. The main reason being at times the pings are just all over the place. I'll have 1 day of ok pings and then have 2 hour+ spells of 250+ pings making watching live streams impossible. It seems BT only care about what speed you get and things like ping don't seem to matter at all.

Second reason is Virgin Media finally laying cables here and I'd like to go for atleast the M500 package. Is a complaint into say Ofcom stating the issues with ping making the internet borderline unusable at times grounds for them to put pressure on BT to get me out of contract?

So you state you have a fault that doesn’t always manifest itself, and has some fairly obvious causes (mainly client end tbf), before you go any further, you probably need to understand OFCOM will direct you back to BT at this stage unless you have actually gone through the faults/complaints process and reached deadlock before OFCOM will entertain you, if you haven’t they aren’t interested as believe it or not they get a reasonable number of people who go to them when nothing is really wrong, or they haven’t tried to resolve the issue with the ISP, or they just want to get out of the contract and receive a better deal elsewhere. Obviously non of that would apply to you, but it does happen.

Soldato
Looks the same across all my skirting, god knows why he didn't use normal clips, it's a bit of a mess all round to be honest. Another thing that makes me laugh is they tell you to download their app to get the best out of your 900mb broadband, but after the wireless speed test in the app it tells you to use the network cable supplied with the router to run a hard-wired test with.... from your mobile?? Anyway, hard-wired I'm still only getting 100mb so something is definitely wrong, wether its that staple through the cable affecting things guess I'll never know unless they swap it out for me.
I'd be wanting them to fix your skirting (or some compensation so you can fix it, needs filling, sanding and painting), and run that cable properly.
Then again I don't let unknown workmen loose in my house they get watched I don't care if they don't like it.

I got full speed the second all the lights lit up on the ONT and router. Guy even said there is no settling in period it's full speed straight away.

Man of Honour

If you are concerned about pings, why on earth are you considering Virgin Media?

Soldato

Latency being that abnormally high on occasions where otherwise it would be "okay" does seem something that's related to your own network inside of the property. What speeds do you get? It could be something saturating the connection, more often Upload than Download.

Soldato
Latency being that abnormally high on occasions where otherwise it would be "okay" does seem something that's related to your own network inside of the property. What speeds do you get? It could be something saturating the connection, more often Upload than Download.

This, check your own network first, are you working off WiFi? Are others in the house dumping photos on Facebook/could backup etc, is someone using unrestricted p2p file sharing (note some game updates use p2p).

What is exactly is the problem? Have you ran any checks to see where the latency is being introduced? Is your modem disconnecting?

Associate
Had BT's FTTP 900mb service installed yesterday morning at 8am. Since then I've gotten nowhere near their advertised speeds, wired I'm getting 100Mbps download and wireless is exact same as I got on the previous non-FTTP service of 56Mbps. So I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day today with no luck, but on inspection of the optical cable at the entry of the property to the internal box I saw this (pic below)
Where he stapled the cable to the top of my skirting there is one staple right through the dead centre on part of the cable. Now would this be affecting my speeds or is it a case of the optical cable either works or it doesn't? I'm not too familiar with the new tech yet so thought I would ask on here before speaking to BT tomorrow. Cheers!

Which hub are you using? If it is the new Smart Hub 2 then First I would try a factory reset as this will allow the hub to get a new profile. When mine was installed my upload was only 50Mb and this is common with this BT hub and using a factory reset or two fixes it along with a firmware update.

Are you using a desktop or laptop? and are you using any network switches? And do you know if the network card you are using is a 10/100 or 10/100/1000?? As the way it is capped at 100, it might be the network card or cable can't support speeds of more than that. This would not have been an issue with FTTC as you never got close usually to 100, unless on Gfast. Somethings to try and investigate before. Also if you go to the smart hub config in the browser, you can see if you click the status button it will tell you firmware and WAN Link speed. It should read 1000 Mbs

Last edited:
Associate
Which hub are you using? If it is the new Smart Hub 2 then First I would try a factory reset as this will allow the hub to get a new profile. When mine was installed my upload was only 50Mb and this is common with this BT hub and using a factory reset or two fixes it along with a firmware update.

Are you using a desktop or laptop? and are you using any network switches? And do you know if the network card you are using is a 10/100 or 10/100/1000?? As the way it is capped at 100, it might be the network card or cable can't support speeds of more than that. This would not have been an issue with FTTC as you never got close usually to 100, unless on Gfast. Somethings to try and investigate before. Also if you go to the smart hub config in the browser, you can see if you click the status button it will tell you firmware and WAN Link speed. It should read 1000 Mbs
Hi acaharris, thanks for the reply. I will give the factory reset a shot on the Superhub 2. Been racking my brains over this today, even made up some brand new 5e cables just in case but still no joy. No switch on my network actually ran the cable direct to my pc from back of the router, my PC motherboard is 1000 capable, had 300mb virgin running on it previously as well. Am I right in thinking a PS4 should be capable of running over 100Mbps too as that's capped at 90. Spoke to BT today, and didn't get much joy although they did say that the staple blasted into my cable will be making no difference as it either works or doesn't, so that was one thing less to troubleshoot!

Associate
@ChrisD. Is it really that bad on Virgin? If so maybe I should stay. I guess it makes sense it would be bad with everyone abusing it.

I don't really know how to diagnose issues with my wiring or whatever but here is tracert when the pings are bad: https://i.imgur.com/2XqqxWc.png

Here is when I am maxing out my download and upload speed to Google Drive when I know there are no ping issues: https://i.imgur.com/J3qlwGr.png

Last edited:
Soldato
@ChrisD. Is it really that bad on Virgin? If so maybe I should stay. I guess it makes sense it would be bad with everyone abusing it.

I don't really know how to diagnose issues with my wiring or whatever but here is tracert when the pings are bad: https://i.imgur.com/2XqqxWc.png

Here is when I am maxing out my download and upload speed to Google Drive when I know there are no ping issues: https://i.imgur.com/J3qlwGr.png

Try ping to 77.75.110.242 for example, this is located in the UK.

bbc.co.uk can point you to a different server at any time.

Man of Honour

Yes VM are a horrendous ISP. Even if you're lucky and you are in a non0congested area, you still have to deal with their rude and lying call centre staff.

Who is your current ISP?

Soldato
Why are the engineers not testing these installations with you, the customer, on one of your devices? As it says in their "getting ready" video?

I believe this is all on hold while in Covid and the engineers are in customers houses as little as possible. I had my activation a few months ago but my BT account centre still shows i'm eligible for a 'Getting Started' one on one guide.

Soldato
I believe this is all on hold while in Covid and the engineers are in customers houses as little as possible. I had my activation a few months ago but my BT account centre still shows i'm eligible for a 'Getting Started' one on one guide.

The engineer that did my install on 9th June did a full handover through an open window including asking me to do a speed test.

Soldato
The engineer that did my install on 9th June did a full handover through an open window including asking me to do a speed test.

Wow, we got none of that. He just asked us to remain in another room while he was PPE'd to the hilt. He then finished up, closed the front door, rang the doorbell, took a few steps back when we opened and told us all was complete and it was up and running.

Back
Top Bottom