**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
If you have a monster GPU then setting it higher essentially gives you very high quality but very expensive anti aliasing. As this game is largely CPU limited, if your GPU is powerful enough then you could set the render resolution higher with no appreciable loss in framerate.

Some people are having problems with CPU usage being high, but by and large it's GPUs taking a hammering more than CPUs and most of the benchmarking shows that to be true:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6RIvvMPBTg

My Ryzen 5 3600 is typically around 30% load in game with a Vega 56 at 90+% load.

Associate
Some people are having problems with CPU usage being high, but by and large it's GPUs taking a hammering more than CPUs and most of the benchmarking shows that to be true:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6RIvvMPBTg

My Ryzen 5 3600 is typically around 30% load in game with a Vega 56 at 90+% load.

For Vega that doesn't surpise me, but for higher end GPU's what I said applies.

Soldato
For Vega that doesn't surpise me, but for higher end GPU's what I said applies.

The Guru3D article shows a Ryzen 7 3800XT at 40% (mostly on 4 cores only) with an RTX 2080 Ti at 59%, so obviously not. It also shows very little difference even at 4K going from 4C/8T to 8C/16T whilst at the same time it's gobbling up all the VRAM it can get. It's totally GPU limited. You wouldn't see such big drops in FPS between resolutions if it were just CPU limited.

FSX was the opposite - changing the resolution made little difference because there wasn't much going on graphically. A faster dual or quad core made all the difference and you didn't need an expensive GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have a monster GPU then setting it higher essentially gives you very high quality but very expensive anti aliasing. As this game is largely CPU limited, if your GPU is powerful enough then you could set the render resolution higher with no appreciable loss in framerate.

Interesting, cheers for clarifying. I guess especially when not running @ 4K this option can be useful to squeeze more quality out.

On the topic of CPU usage, my 4770K @ 4.2Ghz - I'm averaging 90% CPU usage in London in High End mode, I get spikes in to 100% usage every so often. An upgrade is on the cards, eventually. Once some high end 3rd party aircraft get thrown in, I can see the limit being felt hard for me.

Thought this sim is GPU bound, isn't it?

Associate
Im "playing" on my laptop. Most settings on low or medium and it's just about playable. Specs are i5 8300h and a 1060 6gb (mobile version) with 16gb of RAM. My GPU is working at 99% but CPU rarely above 40%.

Associate
The Guru3D article shows a Ryzen 7 3800XT at 40% (mostly on 4 cores only) with an RTX 2080 Ti at 59%, so obviously not. It also shows very little difference even at 4K going from 4C/8T to 8C/16T whilst at the same time it's gobbling up all the VRAM it can get. It's totally GPU limited. You wouldn't see such big drops in FPS between resolutions if it were just CPU limited.

FSX was the opposite - changing the resolution made little difference because there wasn't much going on graphically. A faster dual or quad core made all the difference and you didn't need an expensive GPU.

Yes, because it is limited by only using 4 cores. If it was solely GPU limited then GPU usage would be sitting near 100%, which it isn't.

Associate
Still can't get it to reinstall, so many restarts, and initial downloads. Sick to death of clicking any key and then the it just hangs.

So frustrating after what was a perfect initial install and system that was running it absolutely fine (3900x, 32gb ram).

Oh well. I just resort to looking at the lovely pictures for now.

Soldato
That sucks... there are definitely some issues happening for some people that appear outside of their control. They mentioned they are working on an update to fix some of the problems people are having, I hope you don’t have to wait too long.

Associate
On the topic of CPU usage, my 4770K @ 4.2Ghz - I'm averaging 90% CPU usage in London in High End mode, I get spikes in to 100% usage every so often. An upgrade is on the cards, eventually. Once some high end 3rd party aircraft get thrown in, I can see the limit being felt hard for me.

Thought this sim is GPU bound, isn't it?

Depends. Like any game it depends on what cpu and gpu you are using, what quality settings you use, what resolution you are running and what frame rate you’re going for. As you have seen your 7 year old CPU doesn’t cut it with your GPU which I’m guessing is much newer.

A CPU bottleneck may not manifest itself just by looking at the cpu usage graphs either. A while back I doubled the fps in games using the same GPU by upgrading from an i7 860 to an i5 6600k. No cpu graph ever showed the CPU being maxed out.

Soldato
Still can't get it to reinstall, so many restarts, and initial downloads. Sick to death of clicking any key and then the it just hangs.

So frustrating after what was a perfect initial install and system that was running it absolutely fine (3900x, 32gb ram).

Have you tried signing out and then back into your xbox & Microsoft accounts

As doing this looks like it may of helped some people in this thread
https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?324440-Press-Any-Key-To-start

Soldato

https://www.flightsimulator.com/known-issues/
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015955380-Stuck-on-Press-a-key-to-continue-

Stuck on "Press a key to continue"
Follow
2d0ea53d72bde700c920b52ca7aecd3c
Support Updated : Today at 22:40 Tuesday at 16:39
If you're stuck on a black screen, please do the following:

Install the English (United States) Language Package and reboot your computer

Microsoft Flight Simulator requires the English (United States) Language Package. To install a new language pack on your system, follow this link: Language packs for Windows

Unplug your USB devices

Unplug any non-essential or ALL USB devices that may be plugged in. Once in-game, plug your USB devices again.

Run Microsoft Flight Simulator as Admin

To do so, type "Flight simulator" in the Windows search bar then select "Run as administrator" in the menu.

Deactivate Windows Defender and/or your firewall

• Open Start. . ...
  • Open Settings. . ...
  • Click. Update & Security. ...
  • Click Windows Security. This tab is in the upper-left side of the window.
  • Click Virus & threat protection. ...
  • Click Virus & threat protection settings. ...
  • Disable Windows Defender's real-time scanning.
  • Set game priority to high
  • Turn off any overlays

Check that your antivirus is not causing a conflict with the game

Sample of Virus checkers that have been known to prevent games and apps from launching:

• Trend Micro Maximum Security
  • Comodo Antivirus
  • Sophos
  • Emisoft Anti-Malware
  • Avira
  • Avast

If your antivirus falsely flagged Microsoft Flight Simulator, remove the file from quarantine then whitelist Microsoft Flight Simulator. To do so follow the instructions from your antivirus manufacturer.

Reinstall the App from the Microsoft Store

• To do so, type "Flight simulator" in the Windows search bar then select "Uninstall" in the menu. Click twice.
  • Open the Windows Store app
  • Go to My library, search for Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Click install

Additional troubleshooting

• Make sure Windows has the latest updates: Select Start , then select Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates.

Associate
I can but try.

Just really cheesed off as this was working yesterday and I changed nothing. It really shouldn't be this hard to run a game, or reinstall it for that matter.

Soldato
I can but try.

Just really cheesed off as this was working yesterday and I changed nothing. It really shouldn't be this hard to run a game, or reinstall it for that matter.
Welcome to PC gaming where these kind of problems are what makes it so great compared to Console gaming were you just stick a game in and it works, There no fun & stress in that :D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom