Weird internet speed issue, is my ISP fudging numbers?

So we have had decent speeds here (Spain)for six months, getting a consistent 6MB, but recently we were cut off for two days because of a bill mix up. When it came back on it was awful, less than 1MB, got in touch with them and was asked to confirm the problem with Speedtest.net but upon checking it was back up to 6MB so happy days i thought.

Streaming/youtube, downloading were still pretty bad though so i checked other speed test sites and they all confirm im only getting 1.5MB if at all, but Speedtest.net still always shows its over 6MB.....

I know it sounds crazy but can an ISP actually fake Speedtest numbers?

Soldato
Is the '6MB' 48Mbps or 6Mbps? B=Byte b=bit

They can prioritise traffic.

The Speedtest.net test confirms that the local part of the connection is working as expected. Something is going on further upstream on their network.

Soldato
OP
Is the '6MB' 48Mbps or 6Mbps? B=Byte b=bit

They can prioritise traffic.

The Speedtest.net test confirms that the local part of the connection is working as expected. Something is going on further upstream on their network.

Speedtest is showing 55 and 65Mbps so i guess more like 7MBps but all other test pages are showing 14Mbps. For some reason i feel like anyone who does a speedtest is given a priority stream at the ISP end to make the customer feel they are getting great speed but when doing real world stuff its awful. Am i losing my mind before i go raging down the phone?

Example:
https://i.speedof.me/200823224817-743

Vs

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9961663855

Caporegime
The speedtest results that you're getting good numbers on are probably on the same network or closely peered with your ISP, and the other services you're trying to access may be using an over-capacity link. In either case, a PS4 is not a reliable device to determine download speed as Sony seem incapable of utilising quality CDNs.

Back
Top Bottom