Living next to a busy road

Soldato
I grew up on a main road and it was very noisy.

sometimes the trucks and buses would rattle the whole building when they went over a bump in the road. I'd avoid living on a main road again.

Soldato
Road noise from a dual carriageway would be pretty awful. I don't like the noise I can hear here a mile+ away from the main road.

Personally I don't even bother looking at houses that are next to busy roads. Now I'm living in rural areas.

I have lived in various cities that are very noisy including West London right underneath Heathrow approach and you do get used to the ambient noise levels. Only you can answer the question really.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Lived with a 40mph road behind the garden. Terrible, never again. So loud just couldn’t enjoy time in the garden.

Inside the house was fine with triple glazing.

Soldato
Also consider if you have pets, I.e cats you’re increasing the risk of them being killed.

when I was commuting via coach into work in the A2, which at sections are dotted with houses only meters away, i find it odd people would live there, and surely the value of the property would be less as a result.

Soldato
Its not for me guys. See my opening post.

Its my work colleague. She desperate for a house with her partner. They been searching for over a year or so.

Give it 6 months, there will be quite a few on the market if repossessions start happening.

The honeymoon period of a new home with partner will wear off. She'd be better waiting. What doesn't annoy her friend may really annoy her.

Soldato
Our last place was a flat on a main road, 30mph section near where the limit goes up to 40mph, and about 80 yards from a large roundabout. Road noise was horrendous, people coming off the roundabout gunning it in the 30 zone on the approach to the 40 zone. The houses either side of the road seemingly concentrated the noise, with the sound bouncing around. Also there was a nearby bus stop on the opposite side of the road from us, and when the double decker stopped there the other motorists would gun it to manoeuvre around it. If that wasn't bad enough there was a pedestrian crossing about 10 yards down the road, with a regular beeping noise telling people it was safe to cross, then of course when the waiting traffic got the green light they'd gun it.

Pretty much this but replace roundabout with fixed speed camera. So we will get rudeboya driving up and down the road at all hours gunning it until they get to the 30mph limit camera or gunning it straight after. Also the ambos and fuzz love to only start their sirens right outside our block of flats too.

Also all the trucks go zooming up and down hitting every pot hole and drain going that make horrendous noises all through the night.

Plus all the car pollution as in peak times its queued up from top end of road to the bottom.

Don't do it.

Soldato
Nope. Not being able to have your windows open in the summer due to all the rude bois with their brap brap exhausts and the bikers who think it acceptable to do 100+ at 3am gets old very quickly...

Soldato
We live on a main road. I'd say about 4 car lengths from the road itself.

It's never bothered us. I was initially a bit worried but don't really hear anything. If sleeping in the front room you hear lorries but cars aren't really noticeable.

We spend most of our time in rooms at the back of the house and it's silent. Although to be honest we can happily watch TV in front room with no distraction unless the windows are wide open.

Being on dual carriageway might be different mind. Ours is a 30 transitioning to 50.

Associate
I've done it, got used to it, but now moved away would never do it again through choice.

Ours was the A406 in London in a section where it reduces to a single carriageway 30mph. The house was a large victorian single glazed sash windowed type. The pollution is a real issue with black matter coming through the windows. You get used to the constant noise but it becomes unpleasant. In summer when you needed airflow it was pointless trying to watch TV if the window was open. When traffic was flowing the windows would rattle when hgv's trundled past. You'd instantly notice the change in noise when traffic backed up of standing engine noise - which was frequent. Fortunately bedroom's were at the rear but being the 406 traffic doesn't stop because its nighttime. As its a red route roadworks would only happen during sleeping hours and they were a pita.

Our biggest pet hate from that time was getting the car out the drive. Without exaggeration we could sit there 5 minutes trying to pull out Many times if wanting to turn right out the drive I would turn left and do a loop around the block. It was equally frustrating trying to turn right into the drive with the onslaught of opposite flowing traffic. Londoners aren't amongst the politest of drivers wanting to stop to allow you to pull in.

Now were away from that no fancy house pulling at the heart strings would ever entice us back again. Never.

Soldato
I live 20 meters away from the A102 as it heads into blackwall tunnel from Kent (3m to blackwall tunnel). This road is always busy and having lived here for almost 35 years I can say with certainty that double glazing helps with the majority, but even during summer when I have windows open all over the place it really doesnt both - the odd annoying loud bike or beeping vehicle, but generally you just dont notice it.

And have never noticed soot etc entering the house and sticking to the walls as a result of the road being there.

Back
Top Bottom