• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
Permabanned
+1 Unfortunately consumers often behave like cattle and forget their collective strength. It would literally take 3 weeks to call Jensen/Nvidia's bluff, refuse to buy and prices would be revised downwards. Interesting times....

Yup im blaming people here as well! :D

Sitting on 4770k, I had a 1080 and after the 2080 super launch i said NOPE... No fps doubling for £700 and 2.6months later? Who were they kidding? People were buying supers and it was killing me inside. All we had to do was refuse to buy and they have to sell at no profit or worse for them at a loss, You trying sitting on a £200 million inventory of 2080 supers and see if you want to play chicken with me or go bankrupt. I had them, Cornered and you sheep all blew it! ;)

But seriously, When the 1080 broke a few months later i had to buy something with my refund. So i added £300 and got a £899 2080ti. But im screwed next time now i cant downgrade really as its going to be ages until i get double the 2080ti fps and i wont buy a new generation unless it has that doubling or performance so thats means my next gpu will be £1150 or 4 years away. I will not pay £1150 for a gpu so you sheep get your houses in order. I dont want to see anyone here buying Ampere Ti models for more than £900. Or you will be hearing from me! :D

Associate
Probably $1400ish :p Seriously though, it will all come down to numbers and how the 3090 compares to the 3080 compares to big navi. I am willing to pay the premium for the 3090 *If* it has a sizable performance delta over the 3080.... would have to be *at least* 25% faster across the board though. I don't give a rats ass about the card size or power draw but I will care if its noisy. That's a definite no-no.

Hey I have a high refresh ultrawide, i need all the framerate i can get.

Associate
Yup im blaming people here as well! :D

Sitting on 4770k, I had a 1080 and after the 2080 super launch i said NOPE... No fps doubling for £700 and 2.6months later? Who were they kidding? People were buying supers and it was killing me inside. All we had to do was refuse to buy and they have to sell at no profit or worse for them at a loss, You trying sitting on a £200 million inventory of 2080 supers and see if you want to play chicken with me or go bankrupt. I had them, Cornered and you sheep all blew it! ;)

But seriously, When the 1080 broke a few months later i had to buy something with my refund. So i added £300 and got a £899 2080ti. But im screwed next time now i cant downgrade really as its going to be ages until i get double the 2080ti fps and i wont buy a new generation unless it has that doubling or performance so thats means my next gpu will be £1150 or 4 years away. I will not pay £1150 for a gpu so you sheep get your houses in order. I dont want to see anyone here buying Ampere Ti models for more than £900. Or you will be hearing from me! :D
I suspect it was YOU who blew it by caving and buying the 2080ti ;), you clearly blinked when you should have stood firm! At least you've got very good performance now and got it at quite a reasonable or at least not outrageous price.

Associate
How long exactly has the human race been in existence? I think you'll find that such actions drive evolution, hence it not being a new thing.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, people much prefer something tangible in their hands now rather the notional prospect of getting better something later.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why?

Surely the option "Not buying anything this gen as I am happy with what I have" is perfectly valid. You are assuming every one will spend at least something.

The way things are going? I may never buy another one. Especially if the new consoles are as good as they look.
So you mean you feel left out? :p

You just don’t vote simple, you can always cry a river by posting:D

Just kidding, I also hate the direction nvidia are taking the prices.

Soldato
I dont follow? Nvidia set the prices VERY HIGH and they flew off the shelves. Nvidia destroyed AMD in sales once again. Why would Nvidia lower prices when the whole internet is DESPERATE to buy one at those prices? I'd probably do the same if I was in Jensen's position. Next gen will cost even more and the gen after that even more. I've noticed a pattern. Prices will keep going up until Nvidia notices a plateau - the maxium price point that people pay.

I made a stand years ago and stoped buying Nvidia. It's just a shame that they're LOVED by so many.
Not sure why it has my name against that quote? I didn't write that ha

Soldato
Buying into a more expensive GPU has a significant upfront hit, but after that replacing it at each cycle is less expensive.
After the buy in, if a Ti costs you £300 per year (on a 2 year renewal) thats £25 per month.
Unless GPU performacne doubles in a generation, it's a fairly safe bet a high end card will hold it's value even after then next gen (+30% performance) launch

Millions of people in this country with extensive pay TV packages, hire purchase cars, flagship phones etc.
Add in, eating out, nights on the beer, football /season tickets, daily cups of chain coffee etc.
Plenty of ways to spend a lot of cash when you add it up.

Drop back into the middle ground and 2060/3060 class performance is ~ £10 per month once you buy in.

Worth paying a little extra for a 3-5 year warranty to help resale.

I'm not in a rush to upgrade, most of my steam back catalogue would be fine on a 4GB 1050Ti

While I agree, Nvidia are profiteering a little at the high end, I don't expect AMD to charge in to save the day, In my personal view, best case will be 5-10% fps per $ depending where the stack lines up.
Both companies are shareholder owned and shareholders want $$$

Soldato
Shareholders are generally not gamers. They just want new carpets for thier yachts and such.
Money is all that matters it seems so in life do your best to get as much if it as possible, then you can dictate to the rest of them/us.
I stand by my £500 is enough for a gaming gpu at top tier. Unfortunately my carpet fitter wants more than that to do my stairs and landing on Clara (Lady Ella S Yacht)

Soldato
Again. It's like Pascal and the generations before never happened...or must have happened when companies had no shareholders...or didn't want to make money...or whatever.

Such short memories.

Soldato
+1 Unfortunately consumers often behave like cattle and forget their collective strength. It would literally take 3 weeks to call Jensen/Nvidia's bluff, refuse to buy and prices would be revised downwards. Interesting times....
How would that work with shops? We don't buy from nvidia, we buy from OCUK etc.

Permabanned
I want to buy a super-duper monitor that my current graphics card won't drive. There is literally no point in buying it until I have a card that is a LOT more powerful than the one I already have. I need the most powerful card I can get. I am not sure what that means at the moment but the least of my worries is how much it costs. I don't usually get the absolute top end, because I generally don't think the extra money is worth the 10% performance, but, I might this time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Again. It's like Pascal and the generations before never happened...or must have happened when companies had no shareholders...or didn't want to make money...or whatever.

Such short memories.

The market has changed, mid range Pascal was priced vs Polaris, Higher end expected more competition from Vega which was late and disapointing for gaming.
Then people went mining crazy and pushed prices up.
RTX lauched with ray tracing as a feature with a modest performance bump but much higher prices and people still kept buying.
AMD launched their mid range 56/57xx card pegged the the new inflated Nvidia pricing structure.

The only way we get price cuts is that Nvida and AMD have too much inventory, if they can sell at or near retail they will.

Soldato
I haven't upgraded for a few years now and seeing the prices for GPU's today is madness. Anyone spending over a grand on a graphics card needs their head looking at frankly or just has too much money to waste.

In the past I would have gone up to say £400, today I'd say £250 and just stay a couple of generations behind.

Associate
1K-1200 maybe, if it's compelling. I have a 980, so spread over 5 years it's not a massive cost.

If the performance is not worth the premium, I'll pick up a 2080.

Sadly even 2nd hand i dont see the turing cards dropping much in price. im not sure why but 2nd hand Nvidia cards, people still like to pay a good chunk for them.

Soldato
Put £750 and I'm hoping to get double my titans performance for that whenever I end up spending it. Either this coming generation or the next.

I brought my titan second hand for about £450 I think it was and it's done me well.

I will also need a new game that I really want to play but am unable to get the visuals I want. If nothing takes my fancy and I'm still playing PUBG I won't need a new card. I'm expecting Cyberpunk to be that game but I'll wait for reviews.

I also have a G-Sync monitor so will pay extra for Nvidia upto around £100 if it's more than that for the same performance as AMD I'll switch over

Back
Top Bottom