Lovecraft Country

Soldato
Despite the name and some themes I wouldn't say it's in the realms of cosmic horror, although it's only one episode in so that might change.

Definitely worth a watch though.

Did you watch the season preview after the titles? It looked to show someone getting a glimpse of something rather large and 'tentacley' and they look like they went instantly mad.

Soldato
Did you watch the season preview after the titles? It looked to show someone getting a glimpse of something rather large and 'tentacley' and they look like they went instantly mad.

Must have missed it.

Good news if they're going down the decay of sanity route, while I enjoyed the first episode it was a bit too 'creature-feature' to begin with imo.

Not that I mind a good monster show, but it's generally more of a secondary focus for me when it comes to the likes of Lovecraft.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Cheers both.

I watched Color Out Of Space recently and it rekindled my Lovecraft interest.

I am new to the Lovecraft lore. Underwater was really my first experience. So looking for more material. Did overlook the Colour out of space because of Nicolas Cage but is it worth a watch? Has it.got.similar theme.with creatures?

Man of Honour
Yeah I prefer Lovecraft that is a bit more subtle when it comes to the creatures. Not quite sure the route this one is going as from the preview and first episode it looks like they are front loading the creature side a bit which removes some of the tension and cosmic horror side but might develop a bit later on into more of the mythos, etc. of Lovecraft territory.

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got round to watching the first episode, liked it enough to continue watching. The cgi was decent, budget and production looked good, I liked that the way racial tensions were handled, it covered the racial attitudes of the time well but without it feeling like it was being thrust down your throat.

Soldato
I am new to the Lovecraft lore. Underwater was really my first experience. So looking for more material. Did overlook the Colour out of space because of Nicolas Cage but is it worth a watch? Has it.got.similar theme.with creatures?

Underwater was semi lovecraft, just the end creature was heavily Cthulhu style.

COOS is a decent watch, it doesn't go too much into the creature side, more the insanity element.

Soldato
I was going to wait until the whole series was released but sounds like I should get straight onto this.

Without spoilers, it is full cthulhu mythos?

It's an adaptation of a book which is inspired by Lovecraft, rather than continuing his universe as some have done. I'm not sure how much full Mythos you'll get from Hollywood as Lovecraft is seen as super problematic for his racism, antisemitism etc.

Soldato
It's an adaptation of a book which is inspired by Lovecraft, rather than continuing his universe as some have done. I'm not sure how much full Mythos you'll get from Hollywood as Lovecraft is seen as super problematic for his racism, antisemitism etc.

I guess by by Cthulhu I just meant monsters and brain bending :D

Man of Honour
I'm not sure how much full Mythos you'll get from Hollywood as Lovecraft is seen as super problematic for his racism, antisemitism etc.

Yeah... the comments on the preview/trailer are interesting in that respect especially in regard to Lovecraft and this one having a mostly black main cast.

Back
Top Bottom