What type of windows
What type of roof
What type of walls
Extent of knocking through
Access
Planning
Scaffolding

Soldato
Im a landscaper/gardener. I get asked questions like this all the time.

I always say I have to see the area to quote. If access is poor, the price will go up for a starters.

To save yourself some cash you could get a few mates round and get the footings done. Then ring a few builders for the brick work. It's not something to rush into. Do the maths, get a few quotes.

Don't forget,c isn't always the best job either.

Just realized your based in Manchester. If you need a bricky, roofer, window fitter, kitchen filter I knew a few. Don't know any plumbers or sparkys tho :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the offers of help guys, but TBH, we haven't purchased anywhere yet. In our budget there's little that fits the bill especially kitchen wise and this is why I posed the question, for when we make the jump.

Soldato
Thanks for the offers of help guys, but TBH, we haven't purchased anywhere yet. In our budget there's little that fits the bill especially kitchen wise and this is why I posed the question, for when we make the jump.

Understandable pal. No point getting a house that isn't right or can't be made right.

Thing is with extensions, the materials all cost a fortune. Then everyone wants a wage.

Not many people do a job start to finish, they will usually get someone in to do something. I'm not good and everything garden related. Bit I won't quote for something I can't do. I'm happy making my money with other types of work rather than doing a bad job.

So when you have to get someone else in they will charge a big price as it's not there job or customer.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Appreciate costs vary depending on location but looking for an idea how much a kitchen extension would be, say 5m x 3m. Anyone had this done recently?

We've just had a quote from the chap that did our loft conversion for something similar, 18m2 single story side extension, garage to the front, kitchen extension to rear, flat roof - 20k for the building work, 7k for the kitchen supplied and fitted. We're supplying the white goods and I'll be doing the flooring.

Soldato
We are planning one at the moment single story kitchen about 18m2, quotes are varying quite widely. So far half have come in around 20-26 mark and others have been 42-45k with not much in the middle tbh. Its two extremes - very odd.

Associate
£20k for 18m² is dirt cheap if they are good.
One of my quotes had provisionals for external work (shed & patio) higher than that. Suffice to say it's not in budget.

Soldato
£30k I'd say was a bare minimum. We've just got a few quotes in to change our single garage into a double. They 'only' need to knock one wall down, build a new one and redo the roof. That was £10k

Back
Top Bottom