• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Been playing around with my ram frequency and timings a bit since upgrading to Ryzen 2nd gen. Previously on a 2700x with 3600mhz c18 ram I couldn't get above 3333mhz without errors. Now on 2nd gen I'm at 3600mhz c16 with no errors and I think with a little bit more voltage I could be error free at c15. Not tried a higher frequency yet.

Should be a decent performance uplift.

Associate
What temps do people get at idle for a stock 3700k? Using a b550 mortar and it idles at 55c with a
Alpenföhn K2 Mount Doom CPU Cooler.

Seems a bit high from a quick Google, I'm wondering whether I might have put the thermal grizzly kryonaut on badly... Did a thin layer with the spatula.
Late to the party, read this and a couple of posts from others reporting high temps at idle a few days ago but didn't get around to responding. Are you sure those temps are genuinely at idle because even allowing for a high ambient temp of say, 30C, that seems very high?

I know custom water is good (I use an EK XTX 480 rad) but I didn't think it was that much better than air. My temps at idle, as reported by Ryzen Master, are 10C over ambient. This is boot to Windows desktop, make sure no apps are running in background. Leave for a few minutes and check in Ryzen Master that all cores are either sleeping or running at a few hundred Mhz.

Associate
Late to the party, read this and a couple of posts from others reporting high temps at idle a few days ago but didn't get around to responding. Are you sure those temps are genuinely at idle because even allowing for a high ambient temp of say, 30C, that seems very high?

I know custom water is good (I use an EK XTX 480 rad) but I didn't think it was that much better than air. My temps at idle, as reported by Ryzen Master, are 10C over ambient. This is boot to Windows desktop, make sure no apps are running in background. Leave for a few minutes and check in Ryzen Master that all cores are either sleeping or running at a few hundred Mhz.

Yeah my cores aren't in the hundreds, bouncing around from mid 3000s to 4300. That's after booting into windows and waiting a few minutes without launching any apps. Using hardware monitor.

Associate
Wonder how this compares with just using precision boost overdrive.

On my 3700x I boost to around 4400ghz for short periods only best cores, obviously with high voltages. Presumably this is just setting a fixed frequency below that at a lower voltage?

Associate
ClockTuner as it's called undervolts each CCX individually, works on all motherboards and offers “smart overclocking”, so the CPU becomes both faster and colder at the same time.
@1usmus also writes on twitter that Zen 3 will be supported later this year.

R-122.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
ClockTuner as it's called undervolts each CCX individually, works on all motherboards and offers “smart overclocking”, so the CPU becomes both faster and colder at the same time.
@1usmus also writes on twitter that Zen 3 will be supported later this year.

R-122.jpg

Interesting.

Associate
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I have a x370 prime pro from asus. 3950x cpu and the ballistix 3000mhz memory.

I am familiar with the problems with this board when it comes to memory but I can't seem to get the ram higher then 3400mhz. It just won't boot. I need to remove 1 stick in order to boot again.

I used the ryzen ram calculator with slightly higher voltage . I don't think it's a limitation. Maybe I did something wrong. I appreciate your help.

Associate
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I have a x370 prime pro from asus. 3950x cpu and the ballistix 3000mhz memory.

I am familiar with the problems with this board when it comes to memory but I can't seem to get the ram higher then 3400mhz. It just won't boot. I need to remove 1 stick in order to boot again.

I used the ryzen ram calculator with slightly higher voltage . I don't think it's a limitation. Maybe I did something wrong. I appreciate your help.

I seriously don't think you will get any better than that.

Back
Top Bottom