Questions regarding Ford motorcraft service.

Associate
Tried calling Ford, to get some information between the 2 types of service they have:
  • 10 Years /125000 Miles Scheduled Service for £225.00 and the
  • Ford essential service for £169. Have tried to call Ford to ask the difference between the 2 but its like asking my 4yr old daughter and on the website there isn't much information. Anyone knows the difference between the 2 please, or anyone used this service recently?

Soldato
Essential is aimed at older cars and is just an oil change and air filter.

The scheduled service will include whatever ford list on your car as required at that interval. Have a look in your handbook at the service schedule. May include things like spark plugs if it's a petrol.

Edit - Scheduled used to come with a year AA breakdown cover which made for decent value but this seems to have stopped.

Soldato
List of my 2016 MK3.5 Ford Focus ST service costs by a Ford Dealer with the mileage on the clock

15/08/17 Car Mileage 4964 service cost £225
17/08/18 car mileage 8446 service cost £318
07/08/19 car mileage 11300 service cost £395
11/08/20 car mileage 13683 service cost £471

There no VAT on these prices

Last edited:
Don
My ford dealer still honors the ford Sara breakdown with an essential service.
I just get an essential service done annually, and check ford etis for any other items to be replaced at specified intervals, and pay separately for those.

Associate
Tried calling Ford, to get some information between the 2 types of service they have:
  • 10 Years /125000 Miles Scheduled Service for £225.00 and the
  • Ford essential service for £169. Have tried to call Ford to ask the difference between the 2 but its like asking my 4yr old daughter and on the website there isn't much information. Anyone knows the difference between the 2 please, or anyone used this service recently?

Go on the Ford ETIS website and get the service schedule for your car and compare to the Motorcraft service items. Depending on the service schedule there could be no difference or a lot of differences. I needed to service a Fiesta recently and there was no difference at all between motorcraft/standard but quite a cost saving, had it been the previous service it would have been better to go with the normal service schedule.

Associate
How in hell can they justify that price for it, it's about 10 - 15 minutes labour?
I would be suprised if they make much money of these services once you have factored in taxes and overheads. I get the impression they just offer the essential services for older cars because it gives them an opportunity to get you through the door and look at the shiny new cars you might want to buy with the overpriced finance deal they can offer you.

Soldato
I would be suprised if they make much money of these services once you have factored in taxes and overheads. I get the impression they just offer the essential services for older cars because it gives them an opportunity to get you through the door and look at the shiny new cars you might want to buy with the overpriced finance deal they can offer you.

A £10 oil Filter, £10 Air Filter, £30 of oil and 15 minutes of time doesn't equate to £169.

It's the same with parts though, i can either pay best part of a grand for an LUK clutch kit from Ford or get it from Euro Car Parts for less than £400, the parts are identical.

Don
A £10 oil Filter, £10 Air Filter, £30 of oil and 15 minutes of time doesn't equate to £169.

It's the same with parts though, i can either pay best part of a grand for an LUK clutch kit from Ford or get it from Euro Car Parts for less than £400, the parts are identical.

It's not just an oil filter and oil change though is it?
It also includes a comprehensive multipoint check.

You can argue exactly the same about a ford main or interim service, which cost even more.

Having looked at both the motorcraft schedule and a mileage based service schedule on ford etis for my focus, there's very little difference outside of things such as brake fluid replacement, cambelt, spark plugs etc which are still an additional chargable cost

Soldato
It's not just an oil filter and oil change though is it?
It also includes a comprehensive multipoint check.

There is nothing comprehensive about it, i check all that stuff every Sunday morning before I wash it, it takes all of 5 minutes, it's really basic stuff.

Checking the electric windows & mirrors work, i mean really?

Soldato
There is nothing comprehensive about it, i check all that stuff every Sunday morning before I wash it, it takes all of 5 minutes, it's really basic stuff.

Checking the electric windows & mirrors work, i mean really?

They "check" the bodywork for corrosion. Or at least that's their excuse to get out of honouring the corrosion warranty if you don't have a full dealership service history. Personally I keep a service history until roughly 100k. After that, I generally do it myself to be honest. That said, my Focus will hit 100k long before it's corrosion warranty expires. So I may keep it on motorcraft servicing for a while longer.

Soldato
The last time I took my car to the local Ford dealer, they managed to dent the door and lose one of the engine cover rubber mounts. These dealers really are overpriced and overstated.

Find a good independent mechanic instead.

Soldato
It's alright though, it's all stuff you can check yourself...

No, he has a warranty to worry about.

But blowing £170 on oil and a pair of filters along with an anti idiot check on a car that is well out of warranty is quite simply being ripped off.

Last time I took my car to a Ford dealer it was due to a failed rubber bush on a 3 month old control arm which I insisted they cover the labour on as it's in the terms of the parts warranty regardless of who fits it. They then tried to insist I had one of the water hoses changed that exits the water pump as it was slightly perishing, they wanted to remove the front bank cam cover, catalytic converter & waterpump to get access.

This involved replacing the front cam cover gasket at £48 and replacing the entire pipe assembly at £180 with labour on top.

I told them where to stick it, I changed it that afternoon as it's an easy fix for less than the cost of a takeaway, a £12 rubber hose that's about 6" long from the local motor factors, I just accessed it from underneath by sticking my arm up the back of the front bumper, it was held in place by a pair of jubilee clips, 10 minutes under the car and it was done, £300+ saved, only tools needed were a 6mm socket and a philips screwdriver. That said, it probably had another half decade in it before it was an issue.

Most of the stuff on these multipoint checks is just the basics like are your tyres bald, are your fluids low, do all your bulbs all work, are your pads & discs ok, are your belts shot, are you capable of dressing yourself type stuff.

Back
Top Bottom