GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Any issues since the recall? Mine still hasn't been done. Got a letter about it last October, then the dealer dragged their heels getting back to me, then COVID happened.

Soldato
It's been absolutely perfect since the recall. No issues at all. Felt like it ran better when I got it back as well.

I would complain to someone about your delay. That's too long to be driving a car with a possible defect.

Soldato
There's not much point at the moment. I did chase it up a few times and got nowhere, but as I understand, they wont be doing any work at the moment due to the pandemic.
I'm not actual that fussed - the car has done 80K miles without a problem, and I'd heard so many horror stories about cars going in fine then failing after the recall that I wasn't even that bothered about getting it done. However it seems most recall problems happened in the US, so I do intend to get it seen to at some point.

Soldato
Recalls are still not being done as the supply of parts stopped at the start of the pandemic. No springs available.

My recall was done 9 months ago, only done 2k miles since and only issue I've had is the cam cover weep dripping onto the manifold. I think they overfilled the oil while doing the service as it's still showing high on the dipstick.

Soldato
Yeah I wasn't sure about the recall as it was done pretty early in the process, and I didn't want to be the guinea pig for the mechanics.

I would imagine you would really notice the difference with an engine rebuild on a 80k miles engine.

Soldato
I was at the garage the other day parked on the street and asked if I could pull my car in. They said sure, so I got back in my car and started turning in the main road to align my car so I could enter the garage.

As I was doing so, another driver in the garage was also reversing out and he entered the street and we had a collision breaking both our lights and scratching up the bumpers.

Guy got out all ****** and tried to blame me, saying he was stationary and it was all my fault. Because he was so insistent I just went a long with it and said I'd try and source some lights so we could get it sorted without the insurance.

Then a few days later he goes and files a claim against me saying I was at fault!

Just spent a few hours writing everything up and sending photos and diagrams to the insurance.

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be at fault, because I was already in the main road performing a manoeuvre, and he's the one that was entering the road from the garage. But the insurance guy on the phone wasn't that helpful and said it would probably be joint liability as we were both reversing :(

Associate
OP
My 86 actually went pop shortly after I part-ex'ed it for my S3.

Garage called me up 2 months later to ask if I had any documentation whatsoever about the recall as they were trying to claim on Toyota's part for causing the engine failure with this recall. Not sure what they did with it in the end but kind of glad it wasn't me who had to deal with Toyota but rather the garage!

Soldato
My 86 actually went pop shortly after I part-ex'ed it for my S3.

Garage called me up 2 months later to ask if I had any documentation whatsoever about the recall as they were trying to claim on Toyota's part for causing the engine failure with this recall. Not sure what they did with it in the end but kind of glad it wasn't me who had to deal with Toyota but rather the garage!

Wow that was a lucky escape for you. They must have messed up the recall spectacularly.

Associate
Rebel, your battery drain issue...

How old is the battery? I had to replace mine at just under 3 years as it could not hold charge during lock down with the car parked up for a week at a time, then only short 5 minute journeys to the shops and back. I had to jump start the car three times, before I gave up and bought a new battery.

Car has never started up so well. Leaving it for nearly two weeks at a time now and it starts first time, not even a hint of sluggishness.

I think the small battery they put in (60Ah?) suffers a lot in this car and may need replacing every 2 years.

Of course if you have already replaced your battery and it's flattening in under 2 weeks there is an issue.

It's actually pretty easy to test yourself if you have a multimeter with a current measure.... ideally a clamp meter, though a normal meter will work if you disconnect the battery adn reconnect through the meter. Be WARNED if you attempt to use anything that draws more than 10 Amp from the battery it will blow the fuse in the meter. If you try and start the engine it will melt the meter and it's wires.

Associate
One thing to be aware of that has been pointed out on the owners forums. The key. The car and the key have conversational relationship.

As I understand it the car periodically pings for the key. If the key hears it, it powers up and replies, the car then comes out of standby in preparation to unlock the doors etc. If it thinks the key is close enough it will even turn the interior lights on! Even without getting that close you can get a situation where the car is "waking up" because it detects the key.... while it's sitting on your hall or kitchen table. This can result in both the car and key battery becoming flat ahead of time.

If you check the manual you will find this was thought about... sort of. The key system has an anti-drain built in. If you stand beside the car, but don't open it, after a minute or two the key system will power down and ignore the key to prevent draining the battery. I believe it recommends using the key buttons in this case.

However you can get into a situation where the key is just outside of range, but occasionally due to atmospherics and local em fields, it pops into range for a few seconds, wakes the car up and then goes back out of range. If this is happening constantly. It will drain your battery and key battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I viewed the car almost 2 years ago they had to jump start it. Knowing (from here) about the battery drain issue, I told them to fix it, so they replaced the battery. So that's just under 2 years old.

The only time it's failed to start was after around a week stay in hospital. The car was parked in my mother's neighbours driveway. Normally at my home I have to park so far away, the key issue isn't a problem. I presume at my mum's the key was near their front door, so that's why it drained. I did for the first year place the keys in a Faraday pouch, but got out of the habit of doing so, because I normally park so far away.

I mentioned what had happened to the service team, they checked the battery and said it needed recharging, so they did that overnight.

So we'll see what happens.

Soldato
I would just replace with an aftermarket battery. I never experienced battery problems while I was commuting daily. When my office changed and I no longer needed to drive every day, the car failed to start after sitting for a week. I shoved a decent aftermarket battery in (Yuasa I think). No problems since.

Soldato
Battery drain is down to the alarm system fitted to UK models, not the keyless system. Common issue, replace battery with 65AH or better. You’ll get a couple of years at best if the car isn’t used much.

Soldato
I've had no issues since I upgraded to the 65ah battery.

I had an interim service (at 62k) and mot last week. Passed however my pads are on their way out and mydiscs are slightly lipped.

I bought a full set of OEM discs and pads for £280ish (sale) and will get them fitted before winter.

I have already been having a horrible droning noise coming from the rear passenger side at high speed for months. They think it's the wheel bearings and recommend they be changed - does that need doing in pairs, and is 62k good going for bearings?

Soldato
I have already been having a horrible droning noise coming from the rear passenger side at high speed for months. They think it's the wheel bearings and recommend they be changed - does that need doing in pairs, and is 62k good going for bearings?

My drivers side rear bearing is making noise, I'm on just over 81k miles. No need to replace in pairs. I bought a genuine bearing and axle nut for 105 quid inc. delivery from importcarparts.com. Its only a couple of quid more from a dealer, so not horrendously expensive.

I tried to change the bearing on Saturday, but failed. There's only four bolts and the axle nut holding the bearing in place, so it should be straightforward. However mine is completely seized in, so I couldn't get it out. Ordered a slide hammer which should arrive tomorrow I hope, and then fingers crossed I can get it off :(

Associate
When upgrading the battery be careful. The battery leads do not reach well if the terminals are the wrong way round. So check and double check. Note, Halfrauds recommend a Yussa battery if you put your reg in but the terminals are the wrong way. The positive doesn't have the length to reach the terminal and needs harrassed.

I bought a Halfrauds 65Ah and it's working great.

Be warned though, don't, like me, flick the tail out on the way home with the battery in the boot. It will fall over and it's not sealed! Luckily I had a camping seat in the boot that took 99% of the acid and now has a lovely brown stain and will probably disintegrate eventually. The boot carpet got a tiny splash... my jeans have a new hole in them. LOL

I might for a laugh load test the Panasonic OEM battery I took out, by fully charging it and seeing how long it will run a laptop. My guess is I will get about 10Ah out of it before it's voltage plumets.

Back
Top Bottom