• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
SLI is dead or dieing or just well basiclly crap lol

1 3090 will do me i think ;) with waterblock :D

this is what im going to do, depending on AMD's offerings (i don't hold out much hope there). I'm suprised at seeing some say they will get two 3080's and SLI them. Even when SLI and Crossfire was actually a thing it could still be a nightmare to run but now it's almost pointless.. Heck the 3080's might not even have a bridge.

Associate
So 3080 is now the price the 1080Ti was.

Shafted.

Will wait for AMD if this is true. But I don't believe it for a second. Turing was priced to high and Nvidia know it. That's why they released the supers and a (slightly) more reasonable price.

Turing launch only failed because it was a price hike with minimal performance gain per price point. Unfortunately, the Super refresh a year later proved that people are ok with the increased pricing as long as there is a tangible performance uplift, as later gaming revenues reached mining boom levels even.

Personally I expect just that for Ampere - ~Turing price levels, with the 3090 on a price premium over the 2080ti (which always happens with new naming tiers).

Man of Honour
this is what im going to do, depending on AMD's offerings (i don't hold out much hope there). I'm suprised at seeing some say they will get two 3080's and SLI them. Even when SLI and Crossfire was actually a thing it could still be a nightmare to run but now it's almost pointless.. Heck the 3080's might not even have a bridge.

I have always been a big SLI and Crossfire fan but this is only something you should do with the top card available as a way to increase performance.

It is more efficient to go with one large card than a pair of smaller ones and in the long run often cheaper.

Having said that mGPU at the moment is very poorly supported due to game devs not spending money with DX12 to get it working.

A single card ATM is the most efficient way to go.

Getting a single 3090 this time and skipping the next gen entirely would be a good way to go for a serious gamer.

Associate
So 3080 is now the price the 1080Ti was.

Shafted.

Will wait for AMD if this is true. But I don't believe it for a second. Turing was priced to high and Nvidia know it. That's why they released the supers and a (slightly) more reasonable price.

I'm pretty sure it is BS but going through twitter posts about Ampere lots of people are thinking the 3080 is going into the ti slot and the 3090 is going into the titan slot. If it is true, which i hope it is but probably isn't, then it will show just how over priced or how expensive turing was to make.

I guess the 3080 falls roughly within 1080ti prices, the interesting one will be the 3090 if the above is the case.

Associate
I have always been a big SLI and Crossfire fan but this is only something you should do with the top card available as a way to increase performance.

It is more efficient to go with one large card than a pair of smaller ones and in the long run often cheaper.

Having said that mGPU at the moment is very poorly supported due to game devs not spending money with DX12 to get it working.

Getting a single 3090 this time and skipping the next gen entirely would be a good way to go for a serious gamer.

don't get me started on mGPU i was soooo hyped for that... stacking of the the gpu's memory.. heck you could even run a Nvidia gpu with an AMD GPU... that would have freaked the fan boys out :D

I can understand devs not wanting to put time into implementing it into games but i would love to see it become common in games.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure it is BS but going through twitter posts about Ampere lots of people are thinking the 3080 is going into the ti slot and the 3090 is going into the titan slot. If it is true, which i hope it is but probably isn't, then it will show just how over priced or how expensive turing was to make.

I guess the 3080 falls roughly within 1080ti prices, the interesting one will be the 3090 if the above is the case.

Not true.

NVidia are not going to stop making the Titan brand.

They may not sell loads of Titans but they are very good for the NVidia reputation.

Associate
Not true.

NVidia are not going to stop making the Titan brand.

They may not sell loads of Titans but they are very good for the NVidia reputation.

yeah i agree i even think there will be a 3080ti show up at some point, in an ideal world it would be great if that was the case though. Yep they will want the super expensive/powerful flagship card

Man of Honour
don't get me started on mGPU i was soooo hyped for that... stacking of the the gpu's memory.. heck you could even run a Nvidia gpu with an AMD GPU... that would have freaked the fan boys out :D

I can understand devs not wanting to put time into implementing it into games but i would love to see it become common in games.

A few years down the road game devs may not get a choice but will have to support mGPU as it could be the only option available, if consoles start appearing for example that use it as a way of getting high performance cheaply games will have to be written that use it. Having said that this is something 5 or 10 years away but single GPUs can not forever keep getting ever larger, hotter and more expensive.

Soldato

Funny how things change. I remember getting a pair of GTX 560s for less than a GTX 580 and they would almost always beat it. It made sense at the time. Today that is a path you don't want to take. Not only are 2x xx60's the same or more than an xx80 but SLI/Crossfire doesn't work in half the titles anyway or have poor scaling. I miss that about the old days. Those with a tighter budget could go with SLI/Crossfire( man my HD 4870s was flying) and buy one now and get another one in a few months.

Associate
Also leaks saying

3090 = $1400
3080 = $800
3070 = $600
3060 = $400

Yea ive seen those rumored prices. Looks like a 3070 is on the cards for me shame they have upped the price by nearly $200. If it has the performance tho i wont complain too much. It needs to have more umph than the consoles tho

Man of Honour
What's the verdict with PCIe4.0, is it likely to make a noticeable difference over PCIe3.0 at 4K?

Dunno but I've not seen a proper study of it yet - a couple of games where quirks in benchmarks has been put down as "must be PCI-e 4.0" but the games are notorious for having quirks/bugs when it comes to performance/rendering features anyway. The vast majority of games so far it makes no difference but that might change with next generation titles.

Back
Top Bottom