Newer cars don't come with service books any more ?

Soldato
OP
This might be a stupid question then, but how do I know what needs servicing and what intervals everything should be serviced at without the service book ?

I have looked online and it seems as though Skoda aren't very forthcoming with this information.

Soldato
This might be a stupid question then, but how do I know what needs servicing and what intervals everything should be serviced at without the service book ?

I have looked online and it seems as though Skoda aren't very forthcoming with this information.

You don't, it's secret. :p

Though I don't think this would be any different with the book, as it seems to me a deliberate effort to make you more reliant on going to dealerships for your servicing. They could easily include this information in the user manual but choose not to.

You can register on erWin yourself I think and get a service schedule from that, otherwise you're at the mercy of your dealer having a clue.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Do service books show this anyway? The last service book i can recall looking at i am sure just had generic pages with a space to write the mileage and tick what was done?

Associate
My 2011 MX5 didn't come with a service book, just a digital record. Personally I've never fully trusted cars with only a service book and no invoices to back up what has actually been paid for anyway. I quite like the BMW option of actually being able to view the service history through the Nav. I'm sure it can be manipulated but seems sensible to keep the history with the car itself!

With regards to service schedules this personally bugs me as I do a lot of my own servicing - I wish there was a centralised place for all manufacturers - like Ford have ETIS but for all. Generally I just Google and try and find an official schedule for a new car - then try and weed out the forum nonsense with sensible additions to the schedule that the manufacturer may have overlooked.

Associate
What happens if the ECU or key has to be replaced or reset?
Its stored in multiple modules. For instance, if I were to change the lighting control switch/module on my 16 year old Z4, it triggers the mileage tamper system if not coded for the car, as the values stored in it will be different to all the other control modules. The only way you'd lose it is if EVERY control module in the car suffered catastrophic failure, in which case you probably don't want to be buying that vehicle!

Soldato
Much prefer a file of paperwork of receipts and invoices from garages for work done even if they are from a back street garage. A book of stamps can be bought off eBay.

But yes I would like a stamped book too. Manufacturers still think people buy a new car every 3 years and scrap it. Where as it will still be on the road 10+ years time after numerous owners.

Soldato
Do service books show this anyway? The last service book i can recall looking at i am sure just had generic pages with a space to write the mileage and tick what was done?

My Audi is all digital and the manual is just very vauge about a fixed or flexible service schedule. It seems very misleading!

I must admit I am confused as I thought I was on the flexible one as the car is used regularly for reasonable distances which is up to 2 years but now I have an oil change reminder after 13 months and about 12000 miles which would sound about right on an older car but not a 2018! But then can they now set up a separate oil and service and MOT schedule - even more oppourinty to be in the dealer and maki g money!

Soldato
Even though mine is stored on iDrive I still keep the paper invoices from the dealer. iDrive history can easily be faked these days, all it takes is a laptop and a cable and anyone can enter any history they like. You'd be none the wiser until it was connected to BMW servers and it all suddenly disappeared.

Soldato
Unfortunately, the problem with the paper invoices, is that if the car goes is sold to a dealer to sell on then they cant easily give the paperwork to the next owner as it contains names and addresses etc. While they could go through and balck it out, I think most dealers will simply dispose of it, or give it back to the previous owner.

Associate
Unfortunately, the problem with the paper invoices, is that if the car goes is sold to a dealer to sell on then they cant easily give the paperwork to the next owner as it contains names and addresses etc. While they could go through and balck it out, I think most dealers will simply dispose of it, or give it back to the previous owner.
This.

The previous owner had loads of work done on my Z4. When I went to see it I started looking through the receipts and invoices. The salesman picked them from my hand saying he cant give them to me, as it contained personal information.

What I don't like about digital records is the inability to store information relating to broken items not within the service schedule.

Soldato
And how easy is that to show a buyer? Not as easy as opening a book I bet.

People expect to see paperwork presented to them. They don't want to have to phone people or open websites because it's hassle especially when looking at multiple cars.
Print it out then? Digital service records are a complete no brainer.

IME showing digital records is just as easy - bring it up in iDrive, boom. Done. And as above, you can always print the records for the luddites.

Soldato
Not all do and it's ******* annoying when trying to sell it. There is no guarantee the records will exist years down the line either. Someone has to maintain that database forever and they may not bother at some point, so get hard copies of it.

It's another case of the simple method is best.
Yeah, this would be my main worry too (alongside having yet another online portal which you'll need to register for, remember a password, faff around logging in etc rather than just being able to open up a book). Can just imagine in 5 years time them moving to a new system and not transferring cars which are out of warranty, or deciding that cars older than 10 years shouldn't be on their system unless a main dealer does an annual 'health check' or something.

I like my nice simple 2013 toyota service book which clearly lists out all the required service intervals, and a clear set of stamps in the back.

Guess it's just one of those 'new and improved' things I'll have to put up with when I get a newer car like electronic handbrakes :(

Soldato
The problem with the Audi digital service is whilst independent garages can record work done in the Audi digital system, when you ask a dealer for a print-out of the digital service record, only work carried out at Audi dealers is shown. I just discovered this recently when selling my 2015 S3.

I could see all the service history in one place via the My Audi app, but when my local dealer sent over the service PDF. It only the independent garage work missing. When I questioned Audi customer services about this, they said that the independents go into a different system.

Call my cynical but I think this is a ploy to get people to use Audi dealers to get service work undertaken.

Soldato
The problem with the Audi digital service is whilst independent garages can record work done in the Audi digital system, when you ask a dealer for a print-out of the digital service record, only work carried out at Audi dealers is shown. I just discovered this recently when selling my 2015 S3.

I could see all the service history in one place via the My Audi app, but when my local dealer sent over the service PDF. It only the independent garage work missing. When I questioned Audi customer services about this, they said that the independents go into a different system.

Call my cynical but I think this is a ploy to get people to use Audi dealers to get service work undertaken.

That's not true, us independents use the exact same ERWIN system that the dealerships use. To print the history you just have to tick the box next to each line to print.

Back
Top Bottom