Worktops

Associate
I've installed a few for other people and they hold up really well - just be mindful of hot things!! You can't sand it off if you get a burn mark! Relatively lightweight so there's no juggling involved. Some of the newer laminate is fantastic and a fraction of the price - but Corian is definitely a good option - they look really smart.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

We're getting solid laminate fitted in our new kitchen. I think the way you can undermount sinks looks great a drainage channels routered straight into the worktops. We're also getting some stainless pan stands routered into worktop beside the induction hob.

Soldato
We make quite a few receptions at work using corian, there are a few cheaper alternatives. Is someone doing the worktop for you? Let me know if you want any advice

Soldato
Its not going to see anything hot (hopefully). Are they quite easy to machine? Do you still use a router?
The sanding is the worst part as you have to go through the grades in sandpaper and use a random orbital sander with as flat a base as possible. Are you using a corian splashback on the wall?

Soldato
OP
We make quite a few receptions at work using corian, there are a few cheaper alternatives. Is someone doing the worktop for you? Let me know if you want any advice
Thanks, I was planning on doing it myself (wondering if I can get it made to measure). I hadn't really thought about splashbacks as the sink won't get a massive amount of use. It 2ill mainly be for washing paintbrushes:p So we were leaning towards an S/S sink.

Soldato
How thick do you want it. Typically you'd have a 6mm sheet of corian then use 18mm moisture resistant mdf as a substrate fixed on with silicone adhesive and leave a 6mm overhang on the corian and glue an 18mm corian downstand on this using the right colour corian glue, (you need a corian glue gun for this) and fix it with a lot of clamps so the glue seeps out all along the joint. When you sand it back it will look like a solid piece of 24mm corian

Soldato
OP
Up north in beverley (near hull). I actual thought it was a solid piece of acrylic with no MDF at all. I only thought that as I have a solid granite top in kitchen, and figured if it can be done with that it should be easy for other materials. The websites I've seen don't mention MDF (I can't remember which hutbive visited s few), although they also didn't list and other meathurements. Where's a good site to get them from, direct?

Soldato
How big a worktop do you need? And what colour are you after as we have quite a few offcuts at work. We buy in sheets of 3m x 600mm I think and they're about £400 but there are a few alternatives with significant savings. The beauty of it is when you join it it looks seemless (you really do need a very keen eye to see it when done right). Im up north too but about 90 miles from you

Soldato
OP
1 piece 1.8m X 600, and one 600 X 700. Designer white is the colour I'm looking for. I don't mind driving to pick up stuff, but I don't think you will have over half a sheet as an offcut (unless several could be stuck together).

Soldato
Really liked our corian work surface, but it’s not massively hard wearing and can collect scratches and scuffs. It can be repaired, but I don’t know how the results are. It’s a nice tactile surface and the seamless nature of it makes it look good and stops annoying leaks.

Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you had to be a certified fabricator/installer to buy authentic Corian?
You can buy made to measure work tops but buying sheets to do it yourself may prove tricky.

It's a nice product, easy to work but messy. Lots of colour choices and the biggest appeal is the seamless designs that can be achieved.

It's biggest let down is its low scratch resistance. Scratches can be sanded out but this sometimes involves having to re-sand the entire work top to avoid dull/shiny spots.

It's normal for Corian to be laid onto a substrate and this is usually MR MDF.

Soldato
Designer white looks stunning. Its difficult to work on when using a corian upstand or splashback as the internal corner makes sanding very difficult especially if not being polished to a very high grade.

If anyones in London we did the roasting plant coffee shops

Soldato
OP
I think we're going to reign it in a bit and go with solid wood. I just can't justify the extra cost in a utility. I just wish it was easy to find units online, most website want to measure up and give you a quote including fitting.

Soldato
I think we're going to reign it in a bit and go with solid wood. I just can't justify the extra cost in a utility. I just wish it was easy to find units online, most website want to measure up and give you a quote including fitting.
Where have you looked for units, you should be able to find them no problem. Have you got overall measurements and ill help you out

Soldato
OP
I have found a website to get units from, but places like wren and Howdens want to take measurements when all I want to do is check prices. It's only for a 1000mm corner unit and a worktop to cover it.

Back
Top Bottom