Mercedes After Sales - Experience

kai

kai

Soldato
RANT! and interested to understand if this is normal for After Sales by Merc or am i worth taking it further?

On Saturday, from exiting a supermarket, I returned to my car (GLA AMG - 8 months old 2,000 miles on clock) to find it would not start and to be presented with several inoperable warnings signs. After several phone calls, a Mercedes engineer arrived on site 2 hours later.

The engineer was unable to fix the car and said I had to drive the car to the Mercedes Dealership (25 miles away) from my current location. I was told the car would feel strange to drive and to take my time as the engineer would follow me. Upon reversing the car I realized I had no power steering and the brakes displayed an error message every time I pressed them and that ABS was disabled. I told the engineer and he said it was fine, and to take my time while he followed me.

Only while up to speed did I realize the car had no speedometer. I phoned the engineer while driving to explain and he said it was fine and he would flash his lights if I was going over the speed limit. On reflection i should have refused. The car was not road worthy and should have been moved other than by tow truck.

Anyway, arriving at the dealership I was told I was unable to go inside and I would need to find a lift home – over 40 miles away. No courtesy car was available and due to COVID, I was not allowed to wait in inside. I had been sent to the dealership with no way of getting home. I was told to ring the Mercedes breakdown number again to sort a courtesy car when i got home.

I attempted to call several times only for the call to fail and the number of emergency breakdown assistance no longer worked. This was the main Mercedes breakdown number. I was later told when I spoke with the live chat function via the Mercedes the number for inbound calls has been down most of the day. The irony, a breakdown emergency number that is down!

Long story short, i had a Mercedes courtesy car delivered yesterday. The car got delivered and I quickly checked over the C200 Mercedes in the rain and pointed it out to the delivery driver that the alloy was damaged. This was noted and I signed for collection. When the rain stopped, I checked the car properly only to find a chunk of the tyre missing and exposed wire. The tyre was illegal. Spent most of the morning on the phone trying to sort another car. I have just had the company Mercedes use (Europcar) say he was sorry his team missed that damage and agreed it was not safe to drive. As they can only provide me a Mercedes courtesy he now has to source one that could take some time :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worth complaining for sure, though I doubt it will go anywhere as it's all happened now. I would have expected really the car to be towed to the garage and a rental delivered to you / your home.

Soldato
That's shocking service, and sounds like multiple failures on the part of Mercedes, their callout engineers (who are part of the AA last time I had to use them) and Europcar. You should absolutely complain.

I guess with regard to dealers it's luck of the draw. My local Sytner have always had excellent service, although it has dropped slightly in the last 18 months. Similarly when I had to call out Mercedes Assist for a fuel issue (low MPG and cabin reeked of diesel) they turned up within 90 mins and fixed it in the car park. I'm surprised you weren't provided a courtesy car, though, as I had some recall work done last week and was given a car for the day with no issues at all, even though I wasn't expecting to due to Covid.

Soldato
Worth complaining about,

My local dealership is terrible, Mercedes in MK same franchise is present in Bedford also.

Great when their waiting for your money, once they have it...... forget it.
Haha! I literally just posted about them above. I've never had any issues and they've sorted all my problems quickly - even trivial stuff like a speaker squeaking at VERY high volume, or minor wind noise through the drivers window at 70+.

Back
Top Bottom