Mini cooper r56 or Swift Sport

Caporegime
Depends, do you want a quick car, or not?

Yaris SR is in the same vein as the Swift sport, they're tepid. Not slow, but not quick either. (I suppose that depends on your definition of quick though)

I'd go with the Cooper S, but I'd get an R53. Cheaper. Less issues. More supercharger noises.

Caporegime
Oh, I had a Twingo as a courtesy car once too....its gutless even compared to the Yaris I had. There is a hill around here that I could do it in 4th/5th gear in the Yaris, I recall in the Twingo I had to shift down to 2nd. I approached it in 4th...it was struggling and dropped it to 3rd and it was still struggling...

How about a mk1 Volvo C30 T5 :p

Mine has been very reliable, i've only replaced consumables like tyres, bushes etc. Although i did change the timing belt and water pump on mine as they are at that age. Much quieter on the motorway than the Yaris.

Last edited:
Caporegime
C30 T5 is basically a MK2 Focus ST in a cardigan. :p

Without the scene tax and boy racer image :p

There is a manual one for £3k on AT or this auto one for £3.5k with 60k on the clock. Less than mine! It even has heated seats, rain sensor, headlight washer.

Auto is fine, at least I think anyway as a daily. It picks up speed soon as the rev his about 2500k rpm.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202001296707867?advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1501&year-to=2013&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.4&fuel-type=Petrol&make=VOLVO&sort=relevance&model=C30&postcode=hr11hb&page=1

Last edited:
Associate
'15 Swift Sport Owner here. Think a '11 plate will be the mark 1?
- lack of 5th gear, if you are going to use it regularly on motorways or do long trips in it the lack of 5th gear is particularly grating. Lack fo noise insulation and a few hours at 4k rpm isnt the mlst relaxing experience.

It only has 4 gears? What kind of archaic gearbox is in it lol.

Associate
OP
Thanks again chaps.
I thought it was the Cooper S that had the problems but guess the Cooper has the same engine sans turbo things so will have the same issues (assuming the issue wasn't the turbo :p )

I'm still in a bit of a quandary even though most people are making me lean towards the swift.

Swift - pricey premium fuel, rattily, uncomfortable... fun and reliable. 09 70k one at £3700 ~30 miles away
Mini - a little boring? oil leak probs? basic spec lacking... good build quality.. 58 80k 1 owner for £3000 around the corner
Yaris - rust, bit boring to drive? … cheap.. 57 70k £2000 ~10 miles away.

Caporegime
Thanks again chaps.
I thought it was the Cooper S that had the problems but guess the Cooper has the same engine sans turbo things so will have the same issues (assuming the issue wasn't the turbo :p )

I'm still in a bit of a quandary even though most people are making me lean towards the swift.

Swift - pricey premium fuel, rattily, uncomfortable... fun and reliable. 09 70k one at £3700 ~30 miles away
Mini - a little boring? oil leak probs? basic spec lacking... good build quality.. 58 80k 1 owner for £3000 around the corner
Yaris - rust, bit boring to drive? … cheap.. 57 70k £2000 ~10 miles away.

Btw, I got £2100 trade in for mine when it was 9 years old with 66k on the clock.

£2k and 13 years old...the market for these small hatchback really have gone up a bit. Unless £2k is the rock bottom price.

Caporegime
Associate
If you go for a R56 Cooper S, make sure you get one made April 2010 onwards so it has the N18 engine, much more reliable than the N14 which was from 2007-2010.

I'd probably avoid them in general though as mine has thrown up some pretty big bills. The High Pressure Fuel Pump likes to die, which is 1k+ to sort out.

Caporegime
I'd ignore both options and get the equivlant Renault Sport ;)
I used to agree, and in fact wanted one myself, until I had use of a 2009 Clio 1.2T for a few weeks.

It had 70,000 miles on it and the interior was falling apart, and the bits that weren't falling apart still looked and felt cheap and nasty.

The Renaultsport may have a pokey engine and a great driving feel, but it still comes with the cheap nastiness.

The Suzuki is cheap as well, but the Japanese know how to do cheap a lot better than the French. :p

Last edited:

nas

nas

Associate
If you go for a R56 Cooper S, make sure you get one made April 2010 onwards so it has the N18 engine, much more reliable than the N14 which was from 2007-2010.

I'd probably avoid them in general though as mine has thrown up some pretty big bills. The High Pressure Fuel Pump likes to die, which is 1k+ to sort out.

2012 onwards for the newer engine iirc. I owned a 2011 JCW with the N14 and 2013 JCW with the N18, both out of budget either way, for good ones anyway !

Back
Top Bottom