• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Also;

image.png

Now I want a cold beer. Damn you ! <Shakes fist>

Soldato
The US is also heading towards a massive recession too. It makes me wonder whether after the initial month or two,what is going to happen longer term.
If its going to be anything like the last recession, its gonna be a long and difficult ride. I remembered how difficult it was for my parents during those times especially with mortgage rates.

Caporegime
All forms of gaming are growing, including PC gaming, worldwide.

The "master race" is not dying just because bleeding-edge graphics cards are getting pricey.
As we keep mentioning, it's not the high-end that's getting pricey.

A £400+ 3060 is no longer a "mid-range" card. It's a mid-range card at formerly high-end prices.

What do you get for £200? There's a good change the answer is "nothing" (or "stop being poor" :p).

Soldato
If its going to be anything like the last recession, its gonna be a long and difficult ride. I remembered how difficult it was for my parents during those times especially with mortgage rates.

That's the thing,what happens next year and the year after? ATM,things have quite bitten yet. We have also seen the most popular PC games,use cartoony graphics. You don't need a super duper high end GPU for those,so not sure what is going to happen to that market,if there is a lot of economic problems,and things such as credit get harder to get longterm.

Soldato
That's the thing,what happens next year and the year after? ATM,things have quite bitten yet. We have also seen the most popular PC games,use cartoony graphics. You don't need a super duper high end GPU for those,so not sure what is going to happen to that market,if there is a lot of economic problems,and things such as credit get harder to get longterm.
Speaking of credit, im sure its going to be a huge impact if credit is harder to get and the interest rates are much higher. We're sitting cosy at the moment with a lot low interest credit terms like how paypal does for 12 months but whats going to happen when those are no longer available? Are people still going to pay with these but at a much higher interest rate? I really don't think so unless you're really desperate or just plain dumb. Going by what the bbc posted yesterday on the 2 trillion debt, it sure doesn't feel like its going to be a quick recovery... even though now not a lot has changed.

Associate
With the uk going into recession again, you really think people are going to be rushing out to buy expensive pc parts?
depends on volumes, there is undoubtedly a market above £1k for GPU, even above £2k the trickier question to answer is how big is that market. AMD and Nvidia might well create some top spec cards but not actually want to produce that many preferring instead to sell the mid-high tier products

there will be some effect I think you are right but its difficult to quantify and companies care more about their bottom line so at the very least they will go for the higher pricing to begin with for sure

Soldato

A £400+ 3060 is no longer a "mid-range" card. It's a mid-range card at formerly high-end prices.

What do you get for £200? There's a good change the answer is "nothing" (or "stop being poor" :p).
The 8800GTS 640 launched for $400, same as what the 3060 is rumoured to be. Then the legendary 8800GT came along for $300. Be nice if history repeats and I can pick up a card like that for $300, while early adopters ragecry themselves to sleep. :D

Soldato
Speaking of credit, im sure its going to be a huge impact if credit is harder to get and the interest rates are much higher. We're sitting cosy at the moment with a lot low interest credit terms like how paypal does for 12 months but whats going to happen when those are no longer available? Are people still going to pay with these but at a much higher interest rate? I really don't think so unless you're really desperate or just plain dumb. Going by what the bbc posted yesterday on the 2 trillion debt, it sure doesn't feel like its going to be a quick recovery... even though now not a lot has changed.

Another problem is a lot of these tech companies are way overvalued,so if the global economy starts slowing down,etc then its going to start hitting them eventually too. The whole system is just boom and bust. A company can make a trillion dollars in profit this year,but if it made the same amount next year,it wouldn't have increased,and its shares would be affected. This is what has happen with so many times when bubbles have burst,including dot.com crash 20 years ago.

Soldato

I don't recall us ever getting over the last recession, inflation increased over magnitudes of costs of living whilst people who rely on credit just racked up the debt.
Modern business models still use the structure = get rid of people/ make the remaining work harder. Councils cut back in services whilst broadcasting the savings that need to be made. There's so much more to comment on, but really I agree we are in a very scary period of time, where massive changes can be implemented under our feet with no control or say.

Associate

And yet the PC games market keeps growing.

I'm not saying the prices are great, but the demise of the market is greatly overstated.

It's more likely that as the worldwide gaming audience grows, there is a larger pool of people who can and will pay high prices. But it also likely means that there's also a big pool of people buying that "1660 Super" for about £200, or various Radeons.

Soldato
depends on volumes, there is undoubtedly a market above £1k for GPU, even above £2k the trickier question to answer is how big is that market. AMD and Nvidia might well create some top spec cards but not actually want to produce that many preferring instead to sell the mid-high tier products

there will be some effect I think you are right but its difficult to quantify and companies care more about their bottom line so at the very least they will go for the higher pricing to begin with for sure
That is true, there is nothing stopping them from releasing at higher prices and then cutting them down if sales don't meet expectations, this has evidently happened before. As others have said, they can test the market and see the limits at which they can push before people start holding back on purchasing.

Another problem is a lot of these tech companies are way overvalued,so if the global economy starts slowing down,etc then its going to start hitting them eventually too. The whole system is just boom and bust. A company can make a trillion dollars in profit this year,but if it made the same amount next year,it wouldn't have increased,and its shares would be affected. This is what has happen with so many times when bubbles have burst,including dot.com crash 20 years ago.
This is true, a company is only worth as much as its share values and how much people are willing to buy/purchase/invest into it. In all seriousness though, i genuinely hope we get out of this quickly. a lot of the times its the media that drives the scare into people to stop spending.

Caporegime

I'm not saying the prices are great, but the demise of the market is greatly overstated.

It's more likely that as the worldwide gaming audience grows, there is a larger pool of people who can and will pay high prices. But it also likely means that there's also a big pool of people buying that "1660 Super" for about £200, or various Radeons.
The PC games market that includes browser games?

I wonder if anyone seriously thinks that PC will be the lead platform for many developers going forwards... excepting the aforementioned FS2020 :p

Soldato

But there's a difference between budget sales and regurgitation of certain genres of games to technological advancements in game engines that push the boundaries. I'd say since 2010 it's still a rinse and repeat. When I was in my final years of school 98/01, I really thought we'd have photo realistic textures/lighting etc by 2010. Progress really hasn't been made

Soldato
But there's a difference between budget sales and regurgitation of certain genres of games to technological advancements in game engines that push the boundaries. I'd say since 2010 it's still a rinse and repeat. When I was in my final years of school 98/01, I really thought we'd have photo realistic textures/lighting etc by 2010. Progress really hasn't been made
agreed, thought I didn't have a hard date of 2010. Half life, Far Cry, Crysis... then... erm? Yeah there hasn't been a must-have ground-breaking game for some time now.

Associate
The PC games market that includes browser games?

I wonder if anyone seriously thinks that PC will be the lead platform for many developers going forwards... excepting the aforementioned FS2020 :p

It includes everything, yes, and worldwide it is growing. I'm not sure how much "browser games" figure in that, perhaps someone could find some figures.

Well good news! Raytracing hardware is getting more widely deployed over the next few months, and we'll see another step forward in realism as a result. Though if you listen to the others in this forum it's just pointless "eye candy", which is weird from a group of people who you would think wanted graphical improvements....

Soldato

I haven't really noticed any price rises at my end of the market.

I first started PC gaming in 1999 and I paid £99.99 for an Nvidia TNT2 (the ultra version was £149.99).

Adjusting for inflation, that £99.99 - £149.99 price range translates to £174.61 - £261.91 today.

I've stuck within that price range ever since. My Vega 56 cost me £201 last July and I'm very happy with it.

I've noticed the high end get crazy but it hasn't affected me at all.

Associate
Well good news! Raytracing hardware is getting more widely deployed over the next few months, and we'll see another step forward in realism as a result. Though if you listen to the others in this forum it's just pointless "eye candy", which is weird from a group of people who you would think wanted graphical improvements....

I want RT for realistic sound. Not too bothered about photo-realism, but sound in games is terrible. Hearing people through walls, ugh.

I also don't want to pay for lots of extra transistors that rarely get used (RTX cards), prefer the idea of more generic hardware (AMD). Benchies will tell if the AMD solution is workable or not, so opinion may change when faced with reality :p

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Dont waste your breath anymore. If it doesnt sink in the first time dont waste the energy. Im more than happy to buy new products, even pay a tad more for rare materials or extra refinery. I wont be robbed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom