• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Once in local fast ram, PCIE speed is meaningless. Unless you're streaming data from sys ram to vram, it doesn't really matter and in comparison to vram anythign else is so slow you would never want to swap data across any bus ever or you'd have significant performance issues to cope with. No reason for concern as far as I am aware.

In games with massive texture requirements, like MS Flight Sim, you may find them more sensitive to PCIe speed as they start having to swap things around.

This is going to become more of an issue over time.

Associate
Maybe, but i would expect it just needs to be fast enough and by the time it's significant we'll be on way faster cards and bus versions anyway.

The cool thing about what the consoles are doing is using vram as system ram - that's pretty significant. I'd quite like my system ram to be vram. :)

Soldato
Meh. In the recent iterations of Nvidia cards there has been so little difference between AIB manufacturers that I have given up on that. The only reason I bought a Zotac last time was it was actually cheaper than the rest available.

I would normally wait for EVGA FTW versions but last time EVGA took about 3 months to actually get their card out and when it finally arrived it didnt overclock or cool any better than anybody else's cards and came with a massive proce premium.

People were better off just buying the cheapest reference based card with the longest warranty.

This. Get the BOGO (sp*?) Core. You can have good or bad luck with basic Vs premium cards so why pay more. Especially as a watercooler.

Looking for 3080 to be fair bit better than 2080Ti.

Or selling my 2080S will have been premature...perhaps:D

Last edited:
Associate
If anyone can help with a technical question on RTX and game engines:

What's the limits on ray-recursion depth (how many bounces/ray interactions) to assure real-time performance (>30ps)? Are you limited to a single shader?

Associate
Yeah even PS3 had access to fast memory (just gated by a horrible system and limited amounts) but it’s one of those things that gives consoles advantages unrealised in the PC space. Still, we get by with really expensive gfx cards that have loads of VRAM and don’t need to swap much because it’s all on board.

There’s always a bottleneck somewhere so creative ways to stream data in the background are used for internet, disk, and system ram. After that it’s on the graphics card and PCIE version performance becomes moot. It’s just another version of a loading time restrictor that is more restricted by weaker links in the overall chain.

PCIE 4 is more important for NVME drives if you have several of them (or they become much quicker)

Associate
I normally go for an x80 card but after moving up to 5440x1440 I think I might get whatever the card above is this time. When are we likely to see these cards launched? I've got some performance issues in games now I didn't have before so would like something more powerful than my RTX2080.

Soldato
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that EVGA were going the way of BFG, they ain't going to be around much longer and the brand will likely be consumed by MSI or some other .tw business.

Back
Top Bottom