Feather Fence Repair Advice

Associate
Hi,

The fence below has started sagging massively and I've had to prop it up in the current winds to stop it all falling over. This is due to probably 40% of the supporting posts either snapping/rotting/uprooting somehow. The fence doesn't look that old so I'm guessing they probably were never in deep enough? I've tried digging and they are definitely in concrete.

In terms of how to fix this and as the panels & gravel boards are in fairly decent condition do you think I can just replace the supporting posts? Is there anything about this hedge/fence design that is destined for failure if I patch it up like this, or if done well enough will it last long term? There's obviously a lot of weight against it from the hedge, especially during bad winds. I guess i'd have to dig out all the existing concrete as well for each post to repair? :(

The neighbor has never maintained the hedge either so I have to do a best effort, but it's probably 2m wide... so the fence really needs to hold as all I can do is stop it growing over the top.

Associate
Is the hedge pushing the fence from the other side causing it to fall over too ?
Maybe the fence is too close to the hedge ?
maybe ask the neighbour to maintain the hedge, and if you do replace the fence, cut the hedge back from your side before replacing the fence
I think unless you cut the hedge back and or move the fence to allow for growth you will face the same issue again.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, the fence is mine but it's a farmer/field next door so not much I can do, don't even know who they are annoyingly. I can lean on the fence easily to prop it back up to a level vertical without much force, doesn't feel like it's got a lot of active growth pushing against it? I was hoping if the fence is strong and blocks off the light then it would grow out the other side/up rather than against the fence. It's a fairly long fence so would cost a small fortune to take out/shift further away :(

Associate
May just be the fence wasnt too solid in the first place then, if the gravel boards etc are solid then I guess you could reuse them, but you would need to replace the posts, maybe replace with longer posts so they go deeper.
Its a gamble, you could repair the 40% of posts but risk as to how long it lasts, also what if the other posts uproot / snap etc down the line too.
Its a lot of effort but to be sure of a solid repair and longevity you may need to redo all posts, and if doing that then cut the hedge back before replacing the fence.
Either way cut the hedge back a little anyway.
Appreciate it will potentially cost to redo all and not something you may want to or have the ability to do right now either.
Can you get some friends round and buy the bits and do yourself - will work out cheaper ?

Associate
OP
May just be the fence wasnt too solid in the first place then, if the gravel boards etc are solid then I guess you could reuse them, but you would need to replace the posts, maybe replace with longer posts so they go deeper.
Its a gamble, you could repair the 40% of posts but risk as to how long it lasts, also what if the other posts uproot / snap etc down the line too.
Its a lot of effort but to be sure of a solid repair and longevity you may need to redo all posts, and if doing that then cut the hedge back before replacing the fence.
Either way cut the hedge back a little anyway.
Appreciate it will potentially cost to redo all and not something you may want to or have the ability to do right now either.
Can you get some friends round and buy the bits and do yourself - will work out cheaper ?

Thanks, sounds like a plan :)

Put new post in-between the old ones. Will save you digging out the old ones. You could put concrete post in and attach the rails to them.

If I do this, would I have to cut sections out of the two cross arris rails and then junction with the new post?

Soldato
If I do this, would I have to cut sections out of the two cross arris rails and then junction with the new post?

No. You would just have to pull off a few of the board and then send a few screws into the posts if wood. Or drill holes if concrete.

Must less work than digging the old out. Either leave them where they are or cut at the bottom and crow bar them off.

Soldato
i used these to good effect https://postbuddysystem.co.uk/ (my issue was the bases of the vertical posts had all rotted through)
the issue for you is that to get access to the posts and hammer these in you need decent access on the side of the fence with the vertical posts and that hedge will be in the way

Good idea but will only last so long. You could pull off the board to get access to the posts.

Soldato
As others have said, i would leave the old posts and just add some new posts in for extra support. If it's a field/hedge on the other side, then i would get a hedge trimmer and go along the side to create a gap between the hedge and the fence. You'll probably have to do this once a year, but you need to ensure the hedge isn't growing outwards and pushing into the fence as it will eventually topple it over - or at least make it that weak that the weather will do the toppling.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, that's really helpful :) Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I can't see how new posts can go in without cutting out the arris rails?

They are the triangle style arris cross rails, that have a metal joiner to fit with the current broken posts. If there's a way to avoid cutting when adding new support posts that would be way easier? Otherwise I can't see how the back of the rails would fit flush with a new post?

Soldato
Here is an `option`
dig a few post holes on `your` side,concrete posts in plumb then use long bolts/studbar to attach to existing fence or posts
4 inch posts min imho :)
Re panels
This type of fencing does not usually use panels but is constructed in one long length

Soldato
Do it right first time and then no worry about the future.

I would take it down. Trim hedge back a good bit. Put new posts in. You could cut the old posts down to ground level and leave in ground if you can cut deep enough.

Then replace fence.

Associate
We had this issue when we moved in a few years back. However it was the other way around where the bushes/hedges (bit of a mess) were pushing our fence into our neighbours garden.

Just ripped the lot out, then put in concrete posts and gravel boards and new fence panels.

Sadly had to rip the bushes etc out to get at everything. Where we found the wooden posts had all rotted.

Looks good now and hopefully stay up a long time.

I’d probably do the same in your position and once you can get to the hedge, give it a good cut back.

Back
Top Bottom