Associate
Hi, I am having some issues with my MSI GS65 8RF. The touchpad has stopped working. I have tried the FN-F3 but to no avail. Is there a manual way of trying the FN-F3 incase the function key itself is malfunctioning?

I have tried to uninstall drivers, reinstall, remove device, still nothing. In device manager it doesn't even show up, but when I do view hidden devices it does but with a yellow exclamation mark & a warning saying may be a hardware issue / hardware not detected.

Associate
OP
Hi, I am having some issues with my MSI GS65 8RF. The touchpad has stopped working. I have tried the FN-F3 but to no avail. Is there a manual way of trying the FN-F3 incase the function key itself is malfunctioning?

I have tried to uninstall drivers, reinstall, remove device, still nothing. In device manager it doesn't even show up, but when I do view hidden devices it does but with a yellow exclamation mark & a warning saying may be a hardware issue / hardware not detected.

Hi Edward,

Did you recently perform any software or hardware updates or OS reinstallation? Are your other FN keys working properly except the FN+F3?

Associate
Hi Edward,

Did you recently perform any software or hardware updates or OS reinstallation? Are your other FN keys working properly except the FN+F3?

I updated the EC firmware from the MSI official support site for this laptop before this issue arose, then noticed it arose so might be that. I have reset the EC firmware through the button on the bottom but no luck.

No OS reinstall either. FN buttons working correctly yes!

Soldato
@MSIUK Support With the size of the new graphics cards coming in at a foot long, triple slot and 1.5kg+ in weight is the lack of the middle mobo screw in the x570 ACE a problem? It's impossible to install this screw due to the shroud of the chipset heatsink blocking the screw hole in the motherboard beneath. It worries me to not have access to the mobo screw nearest the heaviest cantilevering item in the PC.

Also is there a way to get a spare chipset heatsink assembly for the MSI x570 ACE?

Caporegime
@MSIUK Support With the size of the new graphics cards coming in at a foot long, triple slot and 1.5kg+ in weight is the lack of the middle mobo screw in the x570 ACE a problem? It's impossible to install this screw due to the shroud of the chipset heatsink blocking the screw hole in the motherboard beneath. It worries me to not have access to the mobo screw nearest the heaviest cantilevering item in the PC.

Also is there a way to get a spare chipset heatsink assembly for the MSI x570 ACE?

Not sure if they'll be allowing access to this but my 2070 Super came with a quite beefy GPU Support bracket so maybe it won't be a problem?

Soldato

bump, anyone at MSI? @MSIUK Support

tenor.gif

Associate
OP

Hi ik9000,

The middle screw you referred is mostly helpful to hold the motherboard in the place. The weight of the graphics card is putting the strain on the PCIe slot. An extra screw may help slightly but not likely to prevent possible damage to the PCIe slot due to the weight. We highly advise our users to put the support bracket included with the cards. No matter how strong the PCIe slot is, nothing will balance the weight of the card as the support bracket can.

And yes, we can provide the chipset assembly as spare parts. Please contact us through email so we can help you to get a quotation from the RMA team.

Also apologies for the late reply.

Best regards

Soldato
@MSIUK Support will MSI be releasing a higher power limit bios for the RTX3080 as 320w / 340w for the ventus and gaming trio are quite low compared to competitors models at a similar price point?.

Also some people are experiencing crashing as the cards try to draw more power than is available and are subsequently having to underclock the cards which is not ideal.

Associate
OP
@MSIUK Support will MSI be releasing a higher power limit bios for the RTX3080 as 320w / 340w for the Ventus and gaming trio are quite low compared to competitors models at a similar price point?.

Also, some people are experiencing crashing as the cards try to draw more power than is available and are subsequently having to underclock the cards which are not ideal.

Hello,

The RTX 3080 Ventus' 320W power limit is in line with Nvidia's reference design. Currently, there are no plans to provide new vbios to allow increased power limit on the Ventus model.

The RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio series already have base 340W power and this figure can be increased by an additional 2%, total 350W. The advantages of a higher power limit after this point is debatable unless a different cooling method other than air is used. A slight undervolt seems to be more beneficial at this point to squeeze out the remaining last MHz. Yet, nothing is set to stone and could change in the future.

For the crashing issues, we are aware of the situation and investigating the cause. It could be either a power issue or a too aggressive GPU boost algorithm. Nvidia is also aware of the situation and they are also investigating the reports.

Thanks!

Soldato
Hello,

The RTX 3080 Ventus' 320W power limit is in line with Nvidia's reference design. Currently, there are no plans to provide new vbios to allow increased power limit on the Ventus model.

The RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio series already have base 340W power and this figure can be increased by an additional 2%, total 350W. The advantages of a higher power limit after this point is debatable unless a different cooling method other than air is used. A slight undervolt seems to be more beneficial at this point to squeeze out the remaining last MHz. Yet, nothing is set to stone and could change in the future.

For the crashing issues, we are aware of the situation and investigating the cause. It could be either a power issue or a too aggressive GPU boost algorithm. Nvidia is also aware of the situation and they are also investigating the reports.

Thanks!
While it is debatable with how much extra performance is on offer via an increased power budget it would be a nice touch to have that option especially on the OC variants of the cards as even nvidia's own founders edition allows for an increase of 17% through software such as msi afterburner.

Associate
OP
While it is debatable with how much extra performance is on offer via an increased power budget it would be a nice touch to have that option especially on the OC variants of the cards as even nvidia's own founders edition allows for an increase of 17% through software such as msi afterburner.

Definitely!

We already passed this feedback to HQ R&D and engineering teams and if new VBIOS with higher limits will be released, we'll let you know :)

Back
Top Bottom