Used car dilema

Associate
Hello, guys, I'm looking to purchase an Audi 80 Cabriolet 1994 around 90k miles on the clock 2.6L V6 engine which covered 1-3k miles per year according to MOT check since 2006. The car bodywork and automatic gearbox are nice and smooth. I'm only worried about sludge under oil cap please see pictures. Oild change history is limited as the owner says oi was changed when it needed to and all mechanical work was done when needed on MOT as well as oil yet there is no history of the change. My brother advised not to buy the car as he said that he doesn't know how long that sludge has been in the engine and if it has been there for a while it could have caused damage to the engine i.e. pistons, rings etc. Thus any thoughts on this matter will be appreciated.

20200822-123100.jpg
20200822-123107.jpg
20200822-123121.jpg

Associate
Not worth the risk, walk away.
Plenty of other options out there.
Even if the price is super cheap and allows for an engine repair / replacement why bother with the hassle / effort ?
Find a better maintained car

Man of Honour
Unhelpful comment but when viewed in the right place at 2560x1440 the first pic looks like someone doing a dumbell bicep curl (with a giant thumb intruding)..... :)

Associate
Yeah that's pretty rank, if that's what the top looks like imagine the oil pan!
If they aren't particularly rare then just find another one, if they are and this is dirt cheap then it could be saved with a engine strip and rebuild but it depends what you're buying it for!

Soldato
Ask them to get an engine flush and new oil.
If it doesn't blow up after the engine flush or start smoking then buy it.

Soldato
I might be preaching to the converted but, just in case, don't forget that these have timings belts – and they're often long overdue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ones in this (and the tensioner, etc.) need replacing, given that it looks like not even the oil has been changed for years. The oil, sump and filler were cleaner in my Dodge – and that had been neglected and parked for over ten years. :D

Caporegime
Best case scenario that's going to need the sump dropping and pickup cleaning up. God knows how much of that gunk is blocking oil flow. Unless the car is priced as spares I would walk away.

Judging by the oil chances are it will need a full engine service at least not to mention brakes and shocks. At least £500 in parts alone for that.

Associate
As mentioned above, unless it's super cheap or you can't get another one, then walk.

That thick black crud is a build up of sooty oil over the years and something I used to come across on older Rover V8 engines. It will covering most surfacesb inside. A flush will not clear it, you need to strip and clean.

The low mileage of 1 to 3k probably goes a along way to contributing to it. It implies short trips which means that the engine didn't get to full temp for long periods.

With older engines and pre fully synthetic oil, I reckon that the oils held moisture from condensation which needed a good run for the oil to heat up and evaporate the moisture out, this process needing a good couple of hours of running to fully work. Low mileage trips just wouldn't achieve that and so the build up occurs.

It's also indicative of poor oil change schedules too, where the duty oil has been left allowing the dirt to build.

A well maintained engine should be looking like a tan coloured tea stain over the surfaces.

Soldato
Yea I wouldn't be keen on that, might be ok as one post above, but big risk indicator.

Also the sellers comments are a bit vague, that is another warning sign. I have a 17 year old motorcycle I could tell you everything.

Soldato
My wifes car, a little Yaris only does a few k miles a year, she's had her car now for 7 years or so and the oil filler cap looks nothing like that. The garage who services the car decide when to change the oil which can sometimes be every 2 years, not an expert but would short trips really cause that to that extent?

Man of Honour
My wifes car, a little Yaris only does a few k miles a year, she's had her car now for 7 years or so and the oil filler cap looks nothing like that. The garage who services the car decide when to change the oil which can sometimes be every 2 years, not an expert but would short trips really cause that to that extent?

Larger size V6s whether petrol or diesel don't tend to like short trips especially in stop/start traffic at all. On an older car if the oil hasn't been serviced regularly and been used like that I'm guessing it isn't a surprise.

Man of Honour
That looks to me like it hasn't been serviced for a very long time. I only do around 3.5k miles per year but I still service the car every year even if the oil looks almost as fresh as it was when put in. That is a neglected car and you should walk away.

Associate
the owner says oi was changed when it needed to and all mechanical work was done when needed on MOT as well as oil yet there is no history of the change

sounds like its been fixed as things have broken and oil topped up or changed when low, rather than properly maintained with interval servicing.

I have a 20yr old honda that only did ~3k miles a year, the oil was changed annually and there was zero residue when I took the head off

Soldato
Obviously it's not been serviced when needed, but it is 26 years old and has probably had a dozen owners and 2 dozen drivers. It wouldn't exactly put me off buying it depending on the price and availability of Audi 80 cabs.

If I was buying any well used 26 year old car, I'd be expecting matching running costs.

Back
Top Bottom