Worktops

Soldato
I have found a website to get units from, but places like wren and Howdens want to take measurements when all I want to do is check prices. It's only for a 1000mm corner unit and a worktop to cover it.

I doubt Wren would be interested in selling a single unit but Howdens would happily sell a single unit or worktop if you are in the trade.

Soldato
So I'm currently having a utility built, I'm leaning towards an acrylic one (corian). Does anyone have any experience of them?

We had a Corian one, thought it was great. This was five years back and there's marginal staining to it. As long as it's not a massive issue - like a burn - then we've been able to buff out things like red wine. tea, orange juice, etc.

Because of how flexible it is, and how malleable, I think it's a beautiful thing to work with.

Soldato
Why what's wrong with wood? I also need to decide on a sink, I'd prefer to not go with stainless now as I've seen some fireclay one.s

We're getting wood in our utility too. I think wooden worktops in those kinds of areas (aside from kitchens, etc.) actually look better when they're a bit used. A pristine wooden worktop in a utility area might look a bit weird whereas something a little marked and scuffed looks loved imo.

Soldato
Tbh if you've only looked around the diy stores at laminate worktops then you've only seen a very small percent of whats available. We buy it in sheets and press our own boards which gives us a vast amount to choose from. Its not out of the realms of a DIYer either

Associate
Why what's wrong with wood? I also need to decide on a sink, I'd prefer to not go with stainless now as I've seen some fireclay one.s
Wood worktops are notorious for staining & moisture damage. With utilities likely to see the most abuse, I wouldn't chose it myself (but they wouldn't in a kitchen either).
If you are careful or don't mind as toshj then they certainly add to the style.

Soldato
Wood worktops are notorious for staining & moisture damage. With utilities likely to see the most abuse, I wouldn't chose it myself (but they wouldn't in a kitchen either).
If you are careful or don't mind as toshj then they certainly add to the style.

Use a coating like rustins plastic coating, no worries with moisture or staining then.

Soldato
I've heard Corian and other acrylic worktops can stain, and as I cook with turmeric sometimes we decided to go with quartz. There wasn't much price difference.

Back
Top Bottom