Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
:p I sold the blue one, the matte coating made it very hard to see the knurling and the rings. The coating marked super easy!

Makes sense. You don’t seem to be having much difficulty selling this equipment.

Decent storm tomorrow, hopefully my gym survives.

Realised my squat racks had gradually moved closer together. Wondered why I was having difficulty walking out.

Associate
DSCF8934.jpg

@LiE , what i want to know is, what's your hula hoop record? :)

Lovely set up though.

Man of Honour
I added a thermometer/hydrometer in front of my gym camera so that I can now monitor both. So far humidity has gone maximum 58%, but mostly around 40-45% which is my target.

Man of Honour
Which humidifier are you using? I need to pick one up for my log cabin to keep the rust at bay.

This one - EcoAir | DD1 Simple | Rotary Control | 7 Litre/Day | Quiet 34dBA | Anti Bacteria Silver Filter | Laundry Mode | Light Weight 6Kg | Desiccant Dehumidifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00474K8SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h25rFbGX6FED8

There are some cheaper options, some with digital displays, some that extract more moisture. This one however has lasted us years, is smallish and comes with a pipe (just short of a meter) meaning I never have to empty it. Any rusting should be negligible with this in place. I just leave it on a setting that keeps the humidity within the range I want, it’s taken a little bit of fine tuning - set too low it’ll try to reach an unattainable humidity and will never switch off. It’s pretty low power, especially seeing as it isn’t on often, but for me that’s a small price to pay to stop the equipment rusting. It also keeps working at colder temperatures unlike refrigerant dehumidifiers.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks, that looks good. May plan is to do like you have and run it at a reasonable humidity to prevent condensation on the cold metal. I'm having carpet put in soon which will help with keeping it warm.

I have an electric heat that I use when it gets cold, may look at hooking that up to a wifi plug so I can pre-warm the log cabin before I train.

Man of Honour
Thanks, that looks good. May plan is to do like you have and run it at a reasonable humidity to prevent condensation on the cold metal. I'm having carpet put in soon which will help with keeping it warm.

I have an electric heat that I use when it gets cold, may look at hooking that up to a wifi plug so I can pre-warm the log cabin before I train.

That’s my plan. They aren’t huge spaces, so they should warm up to a sufficient level quickly. It’ll be the bar that will take a little longer to warm up.

Man of Honour
I did that earlier this year, hook a heater up to a smart plug. The heater melted my smart plug

Hopefully that doesn’t happen. It’s rated to 13A and my heater only uses 600W I think on the low setting. I have to be careful not to overload the main cable coming in.

The great thing is that the dehumidifier adds a little heat too.

Man of Honour
The downside of a small and surprisingly well sealed gym - you start at 30% humidity and somehow end up at 70%.

Nearly back to 200kg deads for 5x5. I’m literally where I was this time last year, but at least progressing more quickly. I’ve gained 0.6kg this month too with body fat going down at the same time. Up to 86.1kg. The .1 is obviously key :p

Man of Honour
What are the heaviest adjustable dumbbells that you can get?

Ordered two more 25kg plates, partly for shrug/deadlift progression, partly to weigh the squat rack down. That puts me up to 267.5kg in plates, I think I’m good for a while :p

74.8kg per dumbbell for the Ironmaster dumbbells, but I'm using the 54.4kg set.

They are great as they have none of the issues that LiE mentioned about adjustable dumbbells, although they do take 30 seconds to change the weights which can add up if you're doing drop sets.

They have the bonus that the weights can be used on an adjustable kettlebell from Ironmaster too.

Man of Honour
74.8kg per dumbbell for the Ironmaster dumbbells, but I'm using the 54.4kg set.

They are great as they have none of the issues that LiE mentioned about adjustable dumbbells, although they do take 30 seconds to change the weights which can add up if you're doing drop sets.

They have the bonus that the weights can be used on an adjustable kettlebell from Ironmaster too.

Oh they sound good. I’ll take a look, thanks. Maybe I’ll put them on my Christmas list :p. I miss hammer curls for general arm size.

Man of Honour
Added a smart ceiling light today. Much easier in the dark to have a light on before getting in there. It’s much brighter than my rechargeable led lights too.

Edit: yup, has made a huge difference. Much brighter. It’s great being able to switch it on and off from the house.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi
New to the forum. Been reading through and it seems a cool place to hang out.
Been building a home gym slowly over past few years. Currently researching adjustable benches and true to form I've reached analysis paralysis!! Currently got mirafit m1 bench which has done a job but I dont fully trust it and want to upgrade. Anyone got experience of capital sports benches?? Seen this one which is rated to 300kg.. anyone care to share an opinion??

https://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Sport-...black.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Weight bench

Cheers
Rob.

Associate
Recently tore down the rear garage and made it into an outhouse. Set me back around £21k but it's a really nice useable space now. Made it into 2 rooms so the smaller room is filled with bits and bobs. Installed a rogue fitness half rack yesterday with a bull dog bar, a fairtex heavy bag and aqua bag. Only thing now is to get some plates at a reasonable price. Pics soon

Soldato
@LiE any chance you can do me a favour and measure your Bulldog Adjustable Bench 2.0? I'm trying to mock up the layout of my garage gym and the dimensions on their website seem kinda large - just want to check I haven't read it wrong

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
From back of wheels to front foot is 146. The pad including seat when flat is 136. Pad width is 31 and width of feet at the back is 52. Height from floor to top of pad is 44. All in cm.

Back
Top Bottom