Ps3 any good?

Soldato
If the 2nd hand copy won't update then I'll end up buying it new which would mean £38 for a 7 year old game!

console games don't work like that. the 2nd hand one will update fine. MS wanted to use activation codes with the Xbox one but did a huge u-turn when they realised Sony weren't doing the same with the PS4. The only thing you might lose with a 2nd hand game is any DLC codes. I'd imagine most PS3 games have the online servers turned off by now

Soldato
OP
console games don't work like that. the 2nd hand one will update fine. MS wanted to use activation codes with the Xbox one but did a huge u-turn when they realised Sony weren't doing the same with the PS4. The only thing you might lose with a 2nd hand game is any DLC codes. I'd imagine most PS3 games have the online servers turned off by now

Thanks for the info, single player is fine.

Caporegime
TLOU is a PS3 game (remastered for PS4) so it's worth it to wire it up just for that if you've yet to play it.

So in answer to the question - absolutely. TLOU is one of the greatest games ever made imo.

Associate
Been using my PS3 a lot lately. God of war 1/2 HD, asuras wrath, Nier, mgs 2/3hd are some of the games I've played over the past months.

Tried some PS2/1 games but they look terrible on a 4k TV, better off playing them through PC with the internal res cranked up.

Going onto God of war 3 and ninja gaiden sigma next. Some games I need to look into aswell like Tokyo jungle and folktale.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for your replies, glad to hear that this console is still being enjoyed :)

I dusted the machine off and connected it to the telly with a hdmi lead (gf's son was previously connecting it via scart).

Playing tomb raider anniversary at the moment, I like the simplicity of a console compared to pc gaming, plus I'm sitting on a comfy sofa instead of at a desk!

Soldato
Thanks everyone for your replies, glad to hear that this console is still being enjoyed :)

I dusted the machine off and connected it to the telly with a hdmi lead (gf's son was previously connecting it via scart).

Playing tomb raider anniversary at the moment, I like the simplicity of a console compared to pc gaming, plus I'm sitting on a comfy sofa instead of at a desk!

If you like JRPG/ARPG's I'd recommend checking out the Tales exclusives on the PS3.

Graces F and Xillia 1 + 2 will last you absolutely ages.

Caporegime
I've got one, don't play games too often so am still yet to finish GTAIV, the add on bits for that, GTAV, Red Dead etc... Did buy call of duty black ops at one point (unopened) and one of the assassin's creed games.

Am tempted to grab TLOU, though not sure whether to wait and just get the PS4 version if/when I maybe by a PS5 - was almost tempted during lockdown (but didn't have free time), did notice the price went from like £4 to more like £15-20 for it on Amazon... second hand!

Might have to check out those unchartered games too.

Soldato
Am tempted to grab TLOU, though not sure whether to wait and just get the PS4 version if/when I maybe by a PS5 - was almost tempted during lockdown (but didn't have free time), did notice the price went from like £4 to more like £15-20 for it on Amazon... second hand!.

Do you have a PS4?

I've got a copy of the TLOU remaster somewhere.

Caporegime
Do you have a PS4?

I've got a copy of the TLOU remaster somewhere.

Nope I don't, only a PS3, (ergo could just get a second hand copy for that)

Was just pondering whether I might get a PS5 at release or if I might just snap up a bargain PS4 Pro as retailers shift thier stock etc..

Would you recommend the remastered version as being significatnly better over the original?

Soldato
Nope I don't, only a PS3, (ergo could just get a second hand copy for that)

Was just pondering whether I might get a PS5 at release or if I might just snap up a bargain PS4 Pro as retailers shift thier stock etc..

Would you recommend the remastered version as being significatnly better over the original?

I couldn't tell you, the first time I played it was the remaster to my memory.

Fantastic game, I think a lot less of the sequel.

You can buy the PSN/Digital for about £15 on the PS3 if you don't want to shop around, but I recommend checking CEX.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...ware&superCatName=gaming&title=last-of-us-the

Associate
Probably a little dated now, but if you haven't played Killzone 2, God Of War 3, MGS4 or The Last Of Us, might be worth a keep. I consider those amongst the best games I have played on the PS3.

Caporegime
Definitely. It pushes the PS3 to its absolute max. I think the PS4 version is 60fps so much easier on the eye.

Cool, thanks. I might look at a few other PS3 games then... I guess I'll probs go for a PS5 later this year (unless there is something drastically bad with it at launch) and then grab backwards compatible PS4 versions of stuff like TLOU, RDR2 etc.. (alternatively if PS4s drop to rock bottom prices on launch then maybe I just get one of them and get the next iteration/Pro version of the PS5).

I don't exactly keep up to date with games/gaming! But it would be cool to try some of the well reviewed ones beyond Rockstar's titles and it seems like TLOU is one that has been so well liked that not playing it is like never having watched some classic movie or something.

I haz 4090!
Don
Cool, thanks. I might look at a few other PS3 games then... I guess I'll probs go for a PS5 later this year (unless there is something drastically bad with it at launch) and then grab backwards compatible PS4 versions of stuff like TLOU, RDR2 etc.. (alternatively if PS4s drop to rock bottom prices on launch then maybe I just get one of them and get the next iteration/Pro version of the PS5).

I don't exactly keep up to date with games/gaming! But it would be cool to try some of the well reviewed ones beyond Rockstar's titles and it seems like TLOU is one that has been so well liked that not playing it is like never having watched some classic movie or something.

Totally! I'd be in no huge rush to be honest, you've got loads of top rated games to get through. I've got a top-notch gaming PC, a PS4 and an Xbox, and I'm currently playing through some PS2 games (on my launch PS3) that I missed the first time around. Silent Hill 2 at the moment to be specific. It's better than any of the recent games I've played, absolutely loving it.

Back
Top Bottom