Summer Transfer Window 2020/21 - Rumours & Signings *please quote sources*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The only major income from shirt sales is when people buy direct from the club or from the club shop. The cut on, say, a £60 adult Nike Liverpool shirt in general retail is likely in single digit pounds. Even if it’s £8 they’d need to sell millions of shirts to even make a dent in any wages or transfer fee if one is involved. While Lionel May take a pay cut (he’s apparently on up to €800k a week at Barca, possibly even after tax) that’s still tens of millions of shirts to sell if he’s ‘only’ on £500k a week.

Soldato
The only major income from shirt sales is when people buy direct from the club or from the club shop. The cut on, say, a £60 adult Nike Liverpool shirt in general retail is likely in single digit pounds. Even if it’s £8 they’d need to sell millions of shirts to even make a dent in any wages or transfer fee if one is involved. While Lionel May take a pay cut (he’s apparently on up to €800k a week at Barca, possibly even after tax) that’s still tens of millions of shirts to sell if he’s ‘only’ on £500k a week.

And then of those few £ you're making from a shirt sale, you have to assume that 95% of the people in a Messi shirt would've bought a shirt with another player on anyway, the whole shirt sale thing is absolutely nonsense.

Man of Honour
I find our lack of business very frustrating. We're currently in the best position as a squad post-SAF and now is the time to strengthen it so we can push on.

It seems like we've bottled getting Sancho and aren't doing an awful lot else at the moment. The squad is currently not good enough to guarantee top 4 next season let alone anything else.

If Woodward isn't going to back Ole (like he didn't Mourinho in the end) he may as well sack him now.

Meh.

Caporegime
I find our lack of business very frustrating. We're currently in the best position as a squad post-SAF and now is the time to strengthen it so we can push on.

It seems like we've bottled getting Sancho and aren't doing an awful lot else at the moment. The squad is currently not good enough to guarantee top 4 next season let alone anything else.

If Woodward isn't going to back Ole (like he didn't Mourinho in the end) he may as well sack him now.

Meh.

Couldn't have worded it better myself. Just need to accept that United are going to be milked dry until the end. This would have happened earlier but Fergie being the genius he is kept us going on a very tight budget.

It's not the Sancho I am even bothered about. It's the smart buying of old. We don't even need Sancho now we have Greenwood. Attacking full backs on the other hand...

It also sends a terrible message out to the players if the Manager is not being backed in the transfer window.

Soldato

Meh.

Don't be too hard on Woodward, he's supposedly just had a £22m bid rejected for some random 19-year-old defender at Monaco :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I agree that our lack of business is infuriating. Woodward said earlier in the summer that our finances are robust despite the impact of Covid, yet seemingly the club can't or won't pay the asking price for Sancho and there's been very little news of any other signings, even though we clearly need a few additions to the first XI and more depth and quality on the bench. It's particularly annoying when you look at how much business Chelsea are doing/about to do. Yes, I know they've still got some of the Hazard money and are coming off the back of a transfer ban, but it's concerning that a team that finished on the same points as us has signed two quality players and are close to signing three more.

At this rate 4th place is probably the best we can hope for next season, and it could be much worse if Fernandes were to get a serious injury.

Caporegime
Don't be too hard on Woodward, he's supposedly just had a £22m bid rejected for some random 19-year-old defender at Monaco :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I agree that our lack of business is infuriating. Woodward said earlier in the summer that our finances are robust despite the impact of Covid, yet seemingly the club can't or won't pay the asking price for Sancho and there's been very little news of any other signings, even though we clearly need a few additions to the first XI and more depth and quality on the bench. It's particularly annoying when you look at how much business Chelsea are doing/about to do. Yes, I know they've still got some of the Hazard money and are coming off the back of a transfer ban, but it's concerning that a team that finished on the same points as us has signed two quality players and are close to signing three more.

At this rate 4th place is probably the best we can hope for next season, and it could be much worse if Fernandes were to get a serious injury.

Which in reality is why Grealish was the obvious choice not Sancho as Fernandes will not play all games and we have plenty of backup for Pogba. Sancho was needed 8 months ago but then Greenwood happened. Our front three are fine and I am sure Ighalo and Lingard can do a job if there are injuries (It's hard to perform when you get no game time).

Creative MF and two full backs on either side are what should have been priority. Brandon Williams has put a shift in and is still a kid but you could clearly see a downturn in performance after Luke Shaw got injured. AWB is a beast but he needs to improve his forward game. He also looked exhausted towards the end compared to how he was earlier in the season.

Don
Just on the point of clubs spending and covid. Until clubs know when and how many supporters they can have inside stadiums then it's very difficult for them to budget. Utd's matchday revenue is worth over £100m per season - how much of that are they going to see this coming season? £20m? Maybe £40m? That's a serious amount of cash lost or at least up in the air right now - of course Utd have been seriously hit by covid.

Chelsea are in a unique position because cash flow isn't really an issue for them thanks to Abramovic but also they've sold over £200m worth of players this and last summer. Even if Chelsea go on to sign Havertz and Chilwell for another £140m, their net spend since last summer (including signing Kovacic last summer) is only going to be around £50m.

Caporegime
Just on the point of clubs spending and covid. Until clubs know when and how many supporters they can have inside stadiums then it's very difficult for them to budget. Utd's matchday revenue is worth over £100m per season - how much of that are they going to see this coming season? £20m? Maybe £40m? That's a serious amount of cash lost or at least up in the air right now - of course Utd have been seriously hit by covid.

Chelsea are in a unique position because cash flow isn't really an issue for them thanks to Abramovic but also they've sold over £200m worth of players this and last summer. Even if Chelsea go on to sign Havertz and Chilwell for another £140m, their net spend since last summer (including signing Kovacic last summer) is only going to be around £50m.

In some ways having a transfer ban has helped them save for this window.

Soldato

It seems like we've bottled getting Sancho and aren't doing an awful lot else at the moment. The squad is currently not good enough to guarantee top 4 next season let alone anything else. Kind of like the buying version of Ole’s management style.

Meh.
It’s just par for the course since the Sir Alex days. We can’t get things done in any decent timeframe. Ever. We’ll just panic at the end and buy something and hope it works out. Kind of like Ole’s management style but in buying form.

Soldato
Couldn't have worded it better myself. Just need to accept that United are going to be milked dry until the end. This would have happened earlier but Fergie being the genius he is kept us going on a very tight budget.

It's not the Sancho I am even bothered about. It's the smart buying of old. We don't even need Sancho now we have Greenwood. Attacking full backs on the other hand...

It also sends a terrible message out to the players if the Manager is not being backed in the transfer window.

lol what?

How many transfer records did he break again lol?

Man of Honour
I frankly dont think Messi would do much in the Premier League anyway, he has very rarely impressed me when he has played against English opposition, he probably doesnt have the work rate required for the Premier League and he isnt going to be used to how aggressive and rough players tend to be in Premier league teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom