Upgrading and moving a Meter.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hi Guys,

I have the option of having smart Gas and Electric meters fitted. I believe there’s no real down sides to the new meyers that are fitted. I was also wondering if the companies that fit them would consider moving the electric meter. I’ve always wanted it to be installed outside, at the moment it’s in the cellar, which is annoying as it means I’m stuck not being able to move my CU in the future.

Anyone have any experiences?

Cheers

Soldato
They’ll just replace it like for like. There is a separate process for if you want it moved and it isn’t generally ‘free’ (aka paid for though your bills).

Permabanned
Pay to move your existing meters and then request the new ones to be installed. Basically, no, you have to move them at your own cost, its not something they will do.

Associate
Why does meters in cellar influence where the CU is?
More invasive to move it from there rather than if meters were outside?

Maybe try and convince the supplier that it's dangerous in the cellar?

Soldato
A couple of points, firstly so you don't tie yourself if knots with phone people reading from scripts.... you are basically wanting your incoming services moved which requires the DNO to do it ( https://www.acrastyle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/dno-map.gif ). The meter operator can move the meter slightly but it has to remain on the same wall and generally very close to the incoming service head. I imagine gas is similar

Secondary, Your electricity incomming position does not force the position of your CU, you could have a switchfuse at the incomming position and your own submain to the consumer unit

Soldato
Depending on your distribution company there will be a quote estimator on their website for moving the fuse and switch. I was looking at it recently in South Wales and a simple inside to outside with shortened incomer and new housing was looking £2500 plus.

Soldato
OP
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I thought i had read that the tails from the meter to CU couldnt be more than 3m, which is why i was thinking of the meter move, but to be fair ive been rooting round in the cellar today fitting a seperate smaller CU for the EV charger and ive found a good cable route into the cellar from the room above, which now negates the need to move the CU in future.

I am a little concerned at the lack of seal on the incoming fuse, the house was my dads, and he says that the only time anything was touched when Western power replaced the cut out around 10 years ago. I hope the meter fitters dont see this as an issue.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Soldato
I thought i had read that the tails from the meter to CU couldnt be more than 3m

Generally yes (though it does vary slightly on the policies of your DNO). A switchfuse counts the same as a CU though (its basically just a single way board). Everything after that is your responsibility.
My electricity service comes into a tight cupboard in the hallway, but I've managed to shoehorn two switchfuses in there, one feeding 10m of 16mm SWA to a board in the kitchen, and another feeding 15m of 25mm SWA going the other direction to the main board in the attached garage.

If you were adding an additonal CU, you'd have had to cut the seal on the fuse anyway (Yes we all know only the meter operative or the DNO staff are meant to pull it)

Soldato
As I work for a supplier I know for sure they will not move the meter for you. The supply head or mains fuse is owned by your DNO (distribution network operator) they are the only ones that can move the supply head and only at cost to you, I have only once found a job where it was moved for free (outside to inside) because of constant water ingress.

Western Power (my local DNO) charge £700 to move the supply head, my employer (EDF) then charge £300 to move the meter and associated equipment.

Soldato
Similar situation in our house but with the gas meter. We're having to pay cadent £850 to move the meter less than a metre away :(. It's a fixed cost to move it anywhere up to 5m away and I really wanted to get my moneys worth but it literally need moving from inside an old coal shed to the outside.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
£880 from Western power to move my old meter from the old front door (now blocked up and part of the living room) to a new flush meter box on the side of the extension 10m away, for the work done I thought this was reasonable, the cost included

Disconnecting and capping below ground the old mains
Supply new meter box, and all ducting
dig and reinstate footpath for new connection

I had to dig a 4m trench and lay ducting ready for them on my side of the boundary, original meter was reinstated in the new box but all new connections and 100A breaker supplied also.

Back
Top Bottom