Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
Sennheiser was a part of the Demant group. Demant being a maker of mainly medical equipment, hearing aids, Cochlear Implants and Bone Anchored hearing aids and calibration equipment among others. Demant and Sennheiser decided to split to allow each company to evolve more in their own fields. Demant have now released EPOS headsets. Most likely using the strengths of all the knowledge from Sennheiser, while infusing Demants acoustics knowledge from the science behind hearing to create the EPOS brand.

I'm sure these headsets will be amazing, just like their Oticon OPN S hearing aids I use and prescribe in my role. Looking forward to the reviews

Soldato
OP
Sennheiser was a part of the Demant group. Demant being a maker of mainly medical equipment, hearing aids, Cochlear Implants and Bone Anchored hearing aids and calibration equipment among others. Demant and Sennheiser decided to split to allow each company to evolve more in their own fields. Demant have now released EPOS headsets. Most likely using the strengths of all the knowledge from Sennheiser, while infusing Demants acoustics knowledge from the science behind hearing to create the EPOS brand.

I'm sure these headsets will be amazing, just like their Oticon OPN S hearing aids I use and prescribe in my role. Looking forward to the reviews
Interesting stuff, thanks. Will keep an eye out for reviews... Or ear!

Associate
Gaming: AudioGD NFB 11 - > Phillips X2
Music: AudioGD NFB 11-> Bottlehead Crack -> HD 650

Really want to try the Beyer DT880 &/or DT1990 to replace the X2 for gaming, and the 600 Ohm would work well with the crack also :)

Used to have a NAD D3020 -> Concept 20 speakers however have recently moved and has now been temporarily relocated to the living room to while i find a suitable AV receiver and build a 5.1 system around the concept speakers, probably going to look at something like Q acoustics 3020 for the office

Soldato
Currently Soundblaster Z into Goldring DR150s. Until recently I'd been using the Victor SU-DH1 for Dolby Headphone and separate headphone amp but decided Dolby Access and Atmos Headphone does the job OK for positional audio so taken those out of the loop. There was a very slight delay with using DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live to the the SU-DH1 and its good to have eliminated it, plus to have visualised elevation when available.

I used to have the Soundblaster Z in the slot adjacent to my graphics card but that generated some EMI noise (meaning it was advantageous to use a digital headphone receiver). After recent motherboard change I've put it in the bottom slot and the noise floor's much reduced. So a much simplified setup.

C64

C64

Soldato
Just got a sound blasterx ae 5 plus, very good card cant fault it thus far sounds as good as the schiit magni if not better.

Soldato
I've got my X470 Prime (which for audio has a Realtek® S1220A and some other fancy words) connected to 2003 Yamaha surround sound hifi amplifier and mounted my speakers on my wall. My TV (so PS4/xbox360/Dreamcast) and retro PC all route into it too. I'm one of those people who much prefers enjoying music without a headset!

Underboss
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Berrydynamics DT 770 PRO (250 Ohm)

Thats game / music / General (PC)

I do have some M-Audio Studio speakers linked upto the Asus card as well, rarely use it because my parents do not want to here me firing bullets all night lol

Soldato
Well my Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X turned up today. Along with the G6 that I didnt manage to cancel in time.

Initial impressions of both weren’t amazing as they felt very plasticky and really light. The cans look pretty cheap next to the Phillips X2, and feel half the weight which should be a good thing as I found thouse a touch heavy.

Had them on a few hours now and they are getting more comfortable. I really dont get on with headphones all that well as im dont like clamping force and they have to be open back as the hot ear thing drives me nuts (yes I know im odd).

They sound nice, bass is light, but clean, and the soundstage is great. Positional audio is much better than the X2s.

For music the X2s are better, and by a good amount. Gaming, hands down the PC37X win.

I do seem to be having a few issues with the G6. When chopping between content, youtube, movies, music. Sometimes when I stop the source, I get feedback constantly coming through. If I start playing, it goes, unplug the unit and plug back in, it goes. Very odd. No doubt its down to the Creative drivers. Im guessing they are still as bad as the old days. Its the main reason I was put off by the G6. Creative drivers and software have always had a bad rep as long as I can remember (I had the original sound blaster card).

Ill do some digging and see if others have the same issue. When it works it sounds lovely.

Associate
im running

headphones
blasterx g6 > akg 702

speakers
gigaport hd+ > cleanbox pro > focual alpha 80

mic
focusrite 2i2 > dbx376 > cloudlifter cl1 > shure sb7b

then i run voicemeeter banana to manage them all and switch between them with an mmo mouse to mute, change volume etc
i game with the speakers when i play solo games

jcr

jcr

Associate
Asus Xonar Essence STX
focal xs speakers
sennheiser hd570 headphones that are getting a bit long in the tooth now. think ive had them for about 20 years?

Associate
In: Modmic V4 -> onboard mic in
Out: SPDIF out -> el cheapo DAC -> Schiit Jotunheim -> HiFiMan HE400i (4-pin balanced cable)

Used to use a Sound Blaster ZXR as a DAC, but since moving to ITX a month ago I can't fit an internal sound card anymore. I have a GPU/motherboard related grounding issue which makes the onboard line output incredibly noisy, hence the cheap £10 optical DAC. Planning to upgrade the DAC to a nicer one at some point but it's not a priority right now.

Associate
A bit of a crazy, mad scientist approach to my PC audio setup BUT it works beautifully.

SB AE-5 -> Sony QS series amp -> *stereo* Bi Amp Wharfedale Zaldek s1000 for lower frequencies and diamond 220 for high frequencies (no bridge)
___________________________-> 5.1 + Monitor Audio Bronze c150 + another 220 for rear + wharfedale SW150

I'd stick with the 220 but the bass is rounder and sweeter with the zaldeks. Will also be getting power amp for at least front channels since my amp has pre outs on as well. And yea, speaker placement is key here.

Associate
Pretty basic setup for me, Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 + HyperX Cloud (first release).

Only used for gaming, fps. Any value in upgrading?

My first headset was the HyperX Cloud Alphas, then I started listening to more lossless music, so switched to the Steelseries Arctis Pro + GameDAC, and then I ended up getting a standalone USB mic, so wanted to switch to a nice pair of open back headphones, and I can definitely say that open back really helps locating where footsteps are coming from (for me personally at least) - because of the wider soundstage and better overall imaging.

Back
Top Bottom