Does anyone here have a camera (Dashcam) fitted to their bike ?

Soldato
Man of Honour
Is there a particular reason you want a camera on your bike? Understanding your requirements would help.

Quite a few of the Observers in my IAM group run the Innov K2 and are very happy with it. They use it primarily as a training tool to assist with debriefing. From what I’ve heard, the easy accessibility of the recordings after a ride is a big plus. We often ride in adverse weather and they seem to hold up well. I’m considering adding one to my bike for the same purpose but it’s pretty low on the financial priority list at the moment.

Soldato
I'd like one also, don't like having to have my osmo action on me all the time and the battery life isnt great either, would be for insurance purposes.

Soldato
I used to put a gropro on my helmet, just in front of my mouth.

Ran from battery though and only lasted about an hour and a half in-between charges.

I only really did it to see the videos, I dont bother with it anymore.

Soldato
I have a sjcam 4000 (cheap gopro) hardwired mounted on the handlebars just behind and off to the side the screen. It isn't the best of quality but its good enough to get evidence if something happens.

I really cant see the point of battery operated ones they simply don't have enough life in them. The hardwired one is there and I can forget about it.

The only downside is you need to remove it if you park up where its likely to get nicked or smashed up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I Forgot about this thread :o

Thanks for the replies
Is there a particular reason you want a camera on your bike? Understanding your requirements would help.

Quite a few of the Observers in my IAM group run the Innov K2 and are very happy with it. They use it primarily as a training tool to assist with debriefing. From what I’ve heard, the easy accessibility of the recordings after a ride is a big plus. We often ride in adverse weather and they seem to hold up well. I’m considering adding one to my bike for the same purpose but it’s pretty low on the financial priority list at the moment.
After having a thinkware dashcam in my car for last 4 years i just feel i like to also have a cam on my bike...

Soldato
Just as an update to this thread I've been looking for something like the Innovv K2 with front and rear hardwired front and rear cameras, but really wanted 60fps. Innovv have just released their K5 with front 4k camera. Sadly this is only 30fps bit it does 60fps at 2k.
I took a punt on it and installed it today.
Example footage here: https://youtu.be/w9UHiuoyk1E

Man of Honour
Not bad. What bike is it on and where is it mounted? Sounds like a twin and it’s a reasonably stable image.

I was on a run some weeks ago and something happened that nobody would ever believe so I’m more motivated to cam up the bike. The K5 interests me.

Soldato
It's on a BMW R9T urban GS, so good call on the engine note. It's mounted on the LED spotlight which in turn is clamped to the forks, so not the most stable of positions. The big downside to the K5 (in my opinion) is that the front camera iss also the DVR unit so is quite bulky and this really affects where you can place it when compared to a bullet camera. My bike has particularly few suitable mounting points so where I have it is the best of a bad bunch and gives more vibration than it would mounted under the headlight unit for example on my old GS. It's not GoPro quality, but is better than any other DVR unit I've seen.
I'll have a better play with it when I have time. I literally fitted it then rode to work.

I'm curious about what you wish you'd have caught on camera!

Man of Honour
Lovely bike! Wish I had the room in the garage (and a cooperative wife) to have one!

You have just picked up on my main concern. The only feasible mounting point on my bike is, as I see it, below the oil cooler on the front...
AlPuPY9.jpg

If the front camera was too bulky it could pose problems for mounting. I guess it would require a home fashioned mount to make it work.

Regarding the incident, I was merrily on my way to a drop off with a box of blood on the back. Blood cover was on it and I was in uniform with my blood jacket, so no opportunity for ambiguity about what I was up to. I was making good progress as it was an urgent run and an Audi S5 overtook me and immediately brake checked me. I clocked him as he came up from the rear and the alarm bells were already ringing so I had given him space. He accelerated away and kept slowing down and brake checking me. Any other time I’d turn off and take another route to get away from it but I was on a time critical run and couldn’t divert. Anyway, he did this a number of times, stopping in the middle of the road until I caught up before tearing away, and eventually he just cleared off. I did wonder if I had overtaken him previously and he took the hump, but it was a distinctive looking car (Matt blue Audi S5 with silly big black wheels) and I’m sure I hadn’t seen it beforehand.

After I did the drop I saw a couple of police officers hanging around outside A&E and I mentioned it to them. They said if I had video they’d be all over it but without video there wasn’t much they could do other than contact the owner who would probably just deny it.

Soldato
I think that would work out well for you if you can cobble together a mount to something structural.
I had a similar incident when I rode for SERV with someone who clearly got the hump when they mistook me for a police rider and stopped his knobbish driving momentarily until he twigged I wasn't, then decided to take out his frustration on me. Like you say, you'd not be able to write it.

Man of Honour
Innovv are releasing the K3 relatively soon which is supposed to settle in between the K2 and K5 using the K5's improved bits but being 1080p, it means you go back to the bullet cameras front and rear. Just depends if you're happy with 30fps and 1080p.

Soldato
OP
Lovely bike! Wish I had the room in the garage (and a cooperative wife) to have one!

You have just picked up on my main concern. The only feasible mounting point on my bike is, as I see it, below the oil cooler on the front...
AlPuPY9.jpg
You need to check there is enough room free when the front suspension travel is completely compressed between the mud guard & bottom of that cooler ..

As some bikes have very little room left there after the front suspension has been compressed.

Associate
Surprised no one here has mentioned the Drift Ghost range. I use Ghost X (https://driftinnovation.com/products/ghost-x) myself, had one attached to my lid when a driver pulled out of a side road and gave me the classic SMIDSY after breaking my femur, smashing my knee and separating my humerus from the ball. The vehicle behind had a dashcam and the driver had been done before I even came round from the drugs they gave to lift my broken carcass on and off the scanner, but I was able to copy the footage from my own camera to a USB drive, send it to my insurance company and save a TON of time on sorting out liability.

The Ghost range comes with a detachable battery and they sell a bigger one that just slots in, no problem. Excellent quality footage and waterproof, as well as being a nice streamlined design rather than a honking great box like the GoPro range. Each Ghost comes with 2 adhesive pads, one flat and one curved, plus they sell extra packs for a few quid. Even if there's nowhere on your bike, the curved mount will attach to your helmet and means you can stare at the driver who's just cut you up and get his little face on camera.

Man of Honour
Surprised no one here has mentioned the Drift Ghost range. I use Ghost X (https://driftinnovation.com/products/ghost-x) myself, had one attached to my lid when a driver pulled out of a side road and gave me the classic SMIDSY after breaking my femur, smashing my knee and separating my humerus from the ball. The vehicle behind had a dashcam and the driver had been done before I even came round from the drugs they gave to lift my broken carcass on and off the scanner, but I was able to copy the footage from my own camera to a USB drive, send it to my insurance company and save a TON of time on sorting out liability.

The Ghost range comes with a detachable battery and they sell a bigger one that just slots in, no problem. Excellent quality footage and waterproof, as well as being a nice streamlined design rather than a honking great box like the GoPro range. Each Ghost comes with 2 adhesive pads, one flat and one curved, plus they sell extra packs for a few quid. Even if there's nowhere on your bike, the curved mount will attach to your helmet and means you can stare at the driver who's just cut you up and get his little face on camera.
Probably not been mentioned as they're a helmet cam rather than a full time attached to and powered by the bike cam.

Associate
That makes sense. Fella I used to work with had a front and back setup with the storage unit for a small SD card unit under the seat. Haven’t spoken to anyone at the old place since I changed job in the autumn, so sadly can’t get the specifics to post :(

Back
Top Bottom