Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

LRT

LRT

Associate
Oh she hates it with a passion ;) Pretty envious because of the resolution and the utlrawide display wow factor! Jokes aside, we both noticed that colour presentation of this panel is pretty good for gaming standards, definitely no worse than any of the other VA, TN or IPS panel out there meant for gamers. For her the curved display is just no-go, makes all sorts of Lightroom vertical/horizontal adjustments unreliable. Also Adobe RGB gamut on her IPS panel really makes such a difference especially when working with shades of green or blue. Next reason why she'd not be able to use a monitor such as mine is that her monitor has a built in ICC colour profiling which is crazy when you think about it, as it allows you to write ICC profile directly into the monitor rather than Windows, so with some exceptions you bypass all custom ICCs used by software.

Then again, her 24'' Eizo monitor costed more than twice as much as iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 so there you go.

Associate
Hello boys, first post on this forum :)
I recently upgraded my gaming notebook and I'm looking for a good budget monitor to be used with it.
After hours of research, i've found this unusual brand and this well reviewed monitor, a "pimped" AOC CU34G2X/BK but with lower price.
Glad to read of a very good customer care from Iiyama and, ad most of you, I'm waiting for the restock in order to buy it.
I have even sent an email to the italian section of Iiyama and they replied to look ad Amazon dot it in the mid of September.
I consider this time very long, but no alternatives out there, so it seems i have to wait :(

PS: someone of the owners is considering the "disappointing viewing angles" a big problem?
This monitor will be both for gaming and office productivity...

Last edited:
Associate
I've now printed a sample photo and compared it with the ICC profile used with the iiyama. Firstly, I noticed that Windows 10 first loads some default profile and a couple of seconds it switches to what appears to be the correct ICC profile I generated. This correct ICC profile might be very different from the one that Windows used at startup. In my case a cool temperature profile is loaded by Windows, only to be replaced by the X-rite created profile 5 seconds later, which is a bit warmer. To make sure which profile is the one I want (whether it's the first one loaded by Windows, or the second one activated a moment later) I printed a sample photo using my wife's heavy duty printer she uses to for her customers, this printer has a very well balanced and profiled ICC used by professional photographers. In my case the second profile (slightly warmer) is a definitive match with the printed sample. It could be that in your case the correct profile is loaded for you but then it becomes even warmer for some reason, the result being some yellowish colour space.

As promised I've now generated a new profile captured at brightness set to 50% at iiyama's COLOR TEMP. set to NORMAL (it's in the dropbox folder).

Thanks so much for sharing - I used your latest profile and it looks great!

Quick question, should I be setting my refresh rate to 144 Hertz with thsi monitor right?

Associate
@LRT Do you happen to use an Nvidia graphics card with 452.06 drivers? I just can't get the problem with the changing profile under control. Yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers with DDU in safe mode. Now at least the speakers are working again.

Then I installed/added the ICC profile again and set it as default. Additionally also as Windows default. Unfortunately it still doesn't work and it changes after every reboot.
After that I just clicked through the Windows screen calibration which left a satisfying profile and doesn't show this yellowish tint.

Interesting is that after the Windows calibration now the profiles of you when I add them and activate cause a yellow cast :eek:

The whole thing is really very confusing. I'm actually of the opinion that it comes from the new Nvidia driver and will try it again with the next update. :(

Apart from that I think a new installation of Windows is what I want to avoid :rolleyes:

LRT

LRT

Associate
@Dany-69 Welcome on board. Truth is iiyama has been on the market for a long time. Before the current line of products meant for games, they used sell monitors mostly for commercial market. You probably saw their displays many times at airports, data centers, a bank's lobby etc. without even realizing it :) . The viewing angles are just fine, not substantially worse than IPS but much better than TN panels. Also, I don't think you'll notice the difference if you're the only user looking at the display from the correct distance. I use it for work on daily basis to work with various console and terminals that span the whole working area and have had no issues.

@Pocket10s You'll definitely want to set the refresh rate to 144 Hz, after all it's what you paid for :)

@DerMaas At the moment I've got just Radeon GPU. ICC profiles and colour profiling is generally surprisingly complex concept and gave me a headache many times ever since my wife decided to start her photography journey. Could you record how the profile changes with the Windows reboot and place the video on dropbox, youtube or anything like that? Also can you verify the colour management option is enabled for your display, I'd remove all redundant profiles as well. You can do this by following steps described here: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/#:~:text=2)%20Click%20%27Advanced%20Settings%27,ICC%20profile%20you%20just%20downloaded.

Associate
@DerMaas At the moment I've got just Radeon GPU. ICC profiles and colour profiling is generally surprisingly complex concept and gave me a headache many times ever since my wife decided to start her photography journey. Could you record how the profile changes with the Windows reboot and place the video on dropbox, youtube or anything like that? Also can you verify the colour management option is enabled for your display, I'd remove all redundant profiles as well. You can do this by following steps described here: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows/#:~:text=2)%20Click%20%27Advanced%20Settings%27,ICC%20profile%20you%20just%20downloaded.

I will make a video with my smartphone and upload it :)

Exactly like in the manual I "installed" the ICC profile. Important is also the step with the Windows default settings.

Associate
Alright so my 2nd one of these is arriving today. Touch wood it’s from the new fixed batch so no headache inducing flickering out the box. If it isn’t then just going to get the firmware update manually applied. I ain’t sending another one back.

Associate
I received my monitor back on Monday with the updated firmware and I'm happy to report there has been no more flickering. I can't fault Iiyama support for sorting it out so quickly.

Soldato
Got mine coming tomorrow, couldn't see that ocuk had stock so chose to shop elsewhere. Although i've seen stock disappear before its even arrived on pre-orders! These sell fast!

Associate
No sign of my monitor being shipped as yet. I'd normally have my stuff from OCUK sent next day... is this just due to Covid do you think? I noticed when I ordered it said they had '1 in stock' and it remained that way for a while and even after I ordered; anything to be concerned about do you reckon?

Last edited:

LRT

LRT

Associate
I think just to be sure I'll create a new ICC profile using a different software, more up to date compatible with Windows 10. Will keep you posted.

EDIT: I tested how the previously generated profile behaves with my another Windows 10 PC and the second one indeed shows a very strong yellow tint.

I've now profiled the monitor using a different software which is Windows 10 compatible and reproduced the colours the way I like it. Important thing is the iiyama supports automatic color adjustment imposed by the software and (assuming your monitor comes from the same batch, with the same VA panel, and the same firmware) thanks to that I have a perfect colour match with some of test prints. This also fixed the yellow overlay I've seen with my second Windows 10 PC. To get the most accurate colour space reproduction, which i'm looking at right now, and again assuming you have the same display and firmware as I do (which is not totally unreasonable to assume), you'll need to modify the following monitor settings:
BRIGHTNESS at least 11, you can increase it as much as you want
CONTRAST = 50
COLOR SETTINGS -> COLOR TEMP. = USER and
USER PRESET: RED = 98, GREEN = 96, BLUE = 84

Please let me know if this new format ICC profile still applies the infamous yelow overlay.

P.S. I should also add that according to the profiling software the monitor has exceptionally good and accurate optimal contrast so there was no reason to amend its value, hence it remained at 50.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to buy one yesterday and they are gone everywhere!
No sign of my monitor being shipped as yet. I'd normally have my stuff from OCUK sent next day... is this just due to Covid do you think? I noticed when I ordered it said they had '1 in stock' and it remained that way for a while and even after I ordered; anything to be concerned about do you reckon?
Got mine today, shipped next day dpd albeit not from ocuk but from another major retailer. Weird though, even though i've received mine it still says pre-order and over due on their website. Wondering if all the stock is already pre-ordered?

Soldato
So got mine today, set it all up and its got the old splash screen and doesn't say "premium pro" next to the freesync setting... however! i'm not getting the flickering that everyone is mentioning while using freesync (gsync for me). Runs smooth and the default colour is really good with really nice deep contrast as expected! Had to turn down the brightness abit but other than that its a great monitor for the money.

Associate
I think just to be sure I'll create a new ICC profile using a different software, more up to date compatible with Windows 10. Will keep you posted.

EDIT: I tested how the previously generated profile behaves with my another Windows 10 PC and the second one indeed shows a very strong yellow tint.

I've now profiled the monitor using a different software which is Windows 10 compatible and reproduced the colours the way I like it. Important thing is the iiyama supports automatic color adjustment imposed by the software and (assuming your monitor comes from the same batch, with the same VA panel, and the same firmware) thanks to that I have a perfect colour match with some of test prints. This also fixed the yellow overlay I've seen with my second Windows 10 PC. To get the most accurate colour space reproduction, which i'm looking at right now, and again assuming you have the same display and firmware as I do (which is not totally unreasonable to assume), you'll need to modify the following monitor settings:
BRIGHTNESS at least 11, you can increase it as much as you want
CONTRAST = 50
COLOR SETTINGS -> COLOR TEMP. = USER and
USER PRESET: RED = 98, GREEN = 96, BLUE = 84

Please let me know if this new format ICC profile still applies the infamous yelow overlay.

P.S. I should also add that according to the profiling software the monitor has exceptionally good and accurate optimal contrast so there was no reason to amend its value, hence it remained at 50.

This sounds like the problem I had or still have with your "old" profiles. I did the Windows screen calibration and with this ICC profile which Windows created there are no problems at all.

Did you already load the new profile into the dropbox? Then I would test it again :D

Thanks again for the effort.

LRT

LRT

Associate
So got mine today, set it all up and its got the old splash screen and doesn't say "premium pro" next to the freesync setting... however! i'm not getting the flickering that everyone is mentioning while using freesync (gsync for me). Runs smooth and the default colour is really good with really nice deep contrast as expected! Had to turn down the brightness abit but other than that its a great monitor for the money.
Good to hear it's working fine out of the box with (allegedly) the original firmware. Are you running it with 144 Hz?

Associate
Has anyone else had an issue with flickering of their monitor post firmware update? I seem to get a flicker and lines across my screen, only slightly but it's becoming quite annoying.
I managed to record the issue.

LRT

LRT

Associate
I can notice very slight flickering with very back bagrounds but only when I work remotely via Citrix which often feeds less than 20 frames per seconds. I haven't noticed any flickering while gaming and definitely no line across the screen which seems to be far more annoying looking at the video you uploaded. The latter symptom is quite an issue I think, I think you might need to feed back this issue to iiyama. Have you tried a different cable by any chance?

Also, what GPU have you got?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom